Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

OSU Stadium Renovations

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion OSU Stadium Renovations

This topic contains 22 replies, has 0 voices, and was last updated by  wpcc88 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

GCrites80s
    Participant

Exactly, it was a total day eraser. When I didn’t have to work Saturdays (I think that was during the Cretaceous Period) I never liked losing an entire day during the most pleasant time of year in Ohio. Especially Saturdays when you can accomplish a lot more things than on Sundays because a lot fewer businesses are closed.

Cbusbill
    Participant

Graybeak said:
    Didn’t they just finish renovations? That they started right after they finished the last set of renovations.

Let’s acknowledge that the stadium is nearly 100 yrs old and is exposed to the elements 24/7. Renovations/updates will continue as long as we agree that keeping the Shoe up-to-date is a better outcome than simply letting it rot and then replace it (same reason Wrigley Field and Lambau Field have gone that route). As for the cost, at $100 a ticket, those seats will generate $1.5M a year for the program. Who loses here? Folks that want to see the Shoe knocked down? Folks that want to see the program not generate more income (that won’t require tax payer $)?

Mister Shifter
    Participant

groundrules said:

Awesome use of gif. I lol’ed.

wpcc88
    Participant

RedStorm said:
    This is kind of dumb. 2,500 extra seats for how many millions of dollars?? Geez. The permanent lighting will be a nice addition though. That should cap the outward expansion as well.

Want more seats? Take out the club seats. Those people are barely there at all anyway. I believe the seat width is either 14 or 16 inches…most stadiums the norm is 12 inches. That could pick up a few more thousand seats as well. I think they screwed up the permanent south stands 12+ years ago. The angle is all wrong, and they could have done a much better job. See : The endzone at Beaver Stadium (Penn State).

They actually did it so that the ‘open’ end is still open. Beaver Stadium looks like an erector set from out side, possible the worst looking stadium outside the dome in St. Pete where the Rays play..

wpcc88
    Participant

columbusmike said:
    Yes. Those signs are loud and ugly from a design point. I’d like to see a bit classier way to honor the past student athletes, that fits with the style of the stadium.

It looks very good at night though, those signs light up. The craftsmanship is kind of shotty though I do agree with you there.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Mister Shifter said:
    Awesome use of gif.

That’s actually a jpg. ;)

RedStorm
    Participant

wpcc88 said:
    They actually did it so that the ‘open’ end is still open. Beaver Stadium looks like an erector set from out side, possible the worst looking stadium outside the dome in St. Pete where the Rays play..

Didn’t realize we were concerned with the looks of the OUTSIDE of the stadium. And you can easily add a 2nd deck on the SS without “closing” the Horsehoe.

wpcc88
    Participant

RedStorm said:
    Didn’t realize we were concerned with the looks of the OUTSIDE of the stadium. And you can easily add a 2nd deck on the SS without “closing” the Horsehoe.

IMO the outside is what makes the ‘Shoe. I have been fortunate enough to see games at all the Big 10 stadiums, Alabama, WVU, Notre Dame, Texas and the Rose Bowl. There is no stadium more intimidating than the Shoe. Funny story about that is when Texas visited in 2005 the bus pulled up to the stadium and the players basically all let out a ‘Holy Sh*t’ they were intimidated by its sheer size. Most of them compared it to the gladitors going to battle in the colosseum.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: