Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

OSU Stadium Renovations

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion OSU Stadium Renovations

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

wpcc88
    Participant

166004_570025933038372_1288863752_n.jpg

580346_570025733038392_1255252973_n.jpg

941869_570025866371712_654768836_n.jpg

6958_570025929705039_1984819055_n.jpg

The board voted today on a stadium expansion of around 2,500 seats and to add permanent lighting for night games, which we will see more of under Urban.

Courtesy of Matthew Hager of Buckeye Sports Bulletin

GCrites80s
    Participant

^Yeah, I heard there won’t be four noon home games in a row this year, unlike last.

wpcc88
    Participant

GCrites80s said:
    ^Yeah, I heard there won’t be four noon home games in a row this year, unlike last.

My guess is it will be 50/50 going forward, leaning more towards more night games. Can’t be a primetime program without playing in primetime. We have in the past but it’s being emphasized much more under Urban.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

wpcc88 said:
    My guess is it will be 50/50 going forward, leaning more towards more night games. Can’t be a primetime program without playing in primetime. We have in the past but it’s being emphasized much more under Urban.

Night games are so much more fun IMO. Who really wants to start drinking at 8am?

NerosNeptune
    Participant

GCrites80s said:

thank god. i won’t go to any more noon games against west central north dakota state a&m after getting more than my fill of those last year. 11am sunday mass is a more festive atmosphere. i went with just the Big 10 package this year, which sadly doesn’t seem much better aside from the Wisconsin game.

wpcc88
    Participant

joshlapp said:
    Night games are so much more fun IMO. Who really wants to start drinking at 8am?

The problem is with the older folks that drive in from out of town to attend the games aka the ones donating the money. However that is not how Urban wants to run this program and in order to move forward it is a step that needs to be taken.

Graybeak
    Participant

Didn’t they just finish renovations? That they started right after they finished the last set of renovations.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

Never really cared much for mid-afternoon football, so lighting for more prime-time games is a positive for sure.

wpcc88
    Participant

Graybeak said:
    Didn’t they just finish renovations? That they started right after they finished the last set of renovations.

no actually that was just a scoreboard expansion and update.. last summer, and the spring game was moved primarily because Urban wanted to put our footprint firmly in the Cinci market, no guess about that

columbusmike
    Participant

Can the cheesy block lettering and advertising be removed from the stadium as part of this renovation? Ohio Stadium is feeling much more NFL/corporate than the beautiful ‘shoe recently.

wpcc88
    Participant

columbusmike said:
    Can the cheesy block lettering and advertising be removed from the stadium as part of this renovation? Ohio Stadium is feeling much more NFL/corporate than the beautiful ‘shoe recently.

do you mean the ring of honor?

groundrules
    Participant

joshlapp said:
    Who really wants to start drinking at 8am?

RedStorm
    Participant

This is kind of dumb. 2,500 extra seats for how many millions of dollars?? Geez. The permanent lighting will be a nice addition though. That should cap the outward expansion as well.

Want more seats? Take out the club seats. Those people are barely there at all anyway. I believe the seat width is either 14 or 16 inches…most stadiums the norm is 12 inches. That could pick up a few more thousand seats as well. I think they screwed up the permanent south stands 12+ years ago. The angle is all wrong, and they could have done a much better job. See : The endzone at Beaver Stadium (Penn State).

columbusmike
    Participant

wpcc88 said:
    do you mean the ring of honor?

Yes. Those signs are loud and ugly from a design point. I’d like to see a bit classier way to honor the past student athletes, that fits with the style of the stadium.

ricospaz
    Participant

joshlapp said:

I like it, but it tends to ruin the rest of my day! Glad we have more night games.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: