Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

OSU National Rankings

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion OSU National Rankings

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

Tenzo
    Participant

RANK
    29 University of Michigan–Ann Arbor Ann Arbor, MI
    ………
    RANK
    41 Case Western Reserve University Cleveland, OH
    ………
    RANK
    56 Ohio State University–Columbus Columbus, OH

Well, at least you have your football. Be sure to put on your resume;
    “but we had a good football team!”

<<snicker>>

dru
    Participant

somertimeoh wrote >>

Lakee911 wrote >>
    What is the difference between a university and a college?

Colleges don’t have graduate programs.

Part of it, but not always the case – locally Denison is a University sans a single graduate program.

In some states, i.e. PA it is a regulated definition and institutions have to meet certain criteria to be considered a University. In others you can use either/or and for some it is simply historic (i.e. The College of William and Mary).

Tenzo
    Participant

looks like the highest ranking schools have good rail systems.

maveric1
    Participant

Tenzo wrote >>
    RANK
    29 University of Michigan–Ann Arbor Ann Arbor, MI
    ………
    RANK
    41 Case Western Reserve University Cleveland, OH
    ………
    RANK
    56 Ohio State University–Columbus Columbus, OH
    Well, at least you have your football. Be sure to put on your resume;
    “but we had a good football team!”

<<snicker>>

That’s funny… “had” a good football team? Doesn’t that apply to Meechigan?

somertimeoh
    Participant

dru wrote >>

somertimeoh wrote >>

Lakee911 wrote >>
    What is the difference between a university and a college?

Colleges don’t have graduate programs.

Part of it, but not always the case – locally Denison is a University sans a single graduate program.
    In some states, i.e. PA it is a regulated definition and institutions have to meet certain criteria to be considered a University. In others you can use either/or and for some it is simply historic (i.e. The College of William and Mary).

Ah, thanks for the clarification. When I was school shopping in high school that was the explanation they gave us. Guess it was a good general rule.

News
    Participant

Ohio State drops two spots in college rankings
    September 11, 2014
    Danielle Seamon and Logan Hickman

The football field isn’t the only place where the Buckeyes are dropping in the rankings. Ohio State dropped two spots over the course of the year — to No. 54 from No. 52 — in the “U.S. News & World Report” annual rankings of national best colleges. Out of the 50 public institutions in the 2015 edition of the list, OSU also fell two spots to No. 18.

READ MORE: http://thelantern.com/2014/09/ohio-state-drops-two-spots-in-college-rankings/

RBloodworth
    Participant

Thanks, Obama Dr. Drake. (rolls eyes)

(Seriously, I think we should take an over/under on how long until someone on an OSU messageboard actually blames him for this. Well, either him or Gene Smith…)

GCrites80s
    Participant

Thanks, Obama Dr. Drake. (rolls eyes)

I’m actually going to blame that cheesecloth offensive line that lets almost everything through.

gramarye
    Participant

I’ve been pretty critical of Drake so far, and will likely remain so for his tenure, but these rankings deserve a fair amount of criticism, too.

Also, just look up earlier on this thread: We were #56 in 2010, so we’re still ahead of where we were then.

My biggest criticism of the rankings is that they essentially affirmatively punish land grant institutions that remain true to what land grant institutions were supposed to do (granted, 150 years ago–maybe USNWR thinks it’s time for revisiting that mission) and reward those that act more like the Ivies and other schools that, whether they admit it or not, are better geared towards those with money, college-educated families, etc. Increasing tuition doesn’t really hurt you; increasing selectivity really helps you. Research trumps instruction (the rankings might not have caused that phenomenon, but they certainly amplify it, since now those who were comfortable with that mindset can help their schools’ rankings by doing what they wanted to do anyway, whereas those who want to shift institutional emphases in more instructional directions have to fight against the possible consequences to their schools’ rankings of doing so).

Bear
    Participant

My biggest criticism of the rankings is that they essentially affirmatively punish land grant institutions that remain true to what land grant institutions were supposed to do (granted, 150 years ago–maybe USNWR thinks it’s time for revisiting that mission) and reward those that act more like the Ivies and other schools that, whether they admit it or not, are better geared towards those with money, college-educated families, etc.

I would argue that taxpayers have punished land grant institutions that try to remain true to their mission. US News & World Reports’ rankings just reflect the inevitable outcome.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: