Our City Online

Messageboard - Sports

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

The Sale of Nationwide Arena - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Sports The Sale of Nationwide Arena – News & Updates

Viewing 6 posts - 226 through 231 (of 231 total)
  • Author

RedStorm
    Participant

So…the school district got screwed.

Well, it was a unanimous vote from the board members. Looks like the district decided it didn’t need/want the money. It was the district’s decision.

NDaEast
    Participant

Well, it was a unanimous vote from the board members. Looks like the district decided it didn’t need/want the money. It was the district’s decision.

Nationwide Arena is like herpes — the gift that keeps on giving. And Columbus keeps voting for the same people who gave us this messed up situation where the school board got (a portion of) “theirs” and is prepared to fight the other levy-funded human services in support of a permanent state granted tax abatement. (You know, the schools got their cut at the expense of community mental health services, alcohol and other drug addiction services, senior services, parks and libraries.)

I just hope they don’t have the nerve to come knocking asking for a tax increase. Renewal levy, fine — an increase,? I can’t see myself supporting it and would probably work to oppose it. I remember being with a group that met with Gary Baker a few months after he became Board President. He seemed so impressed with himself, because in his word the downtown community liked and trusted his leadership. (Now I see why.) It struck me as incredibly ignorant that the school levy with a 24% tax increase that he helped force to the ballot got whalloped at the polls, and he was concerned about what downtown thinks of him and the district — not what voters and parents thought about him. SMH. We get the leadership we vote for.

RedStorm
    Participant

$3 million guaranteed under old deal v.s. $586K. Saved themselves lawyer fees and a bad image by not fighting it.

NDaEast
    Participant

From WOSU’s write up: “School board president Gary Baker said he was motivated by the deal, in part, because it helped the district avoid costly and lengthy lawsuits.”

In other news, Baker and the school board spent $600,000 in legal fees to defend themselves and hide behind governmental immunity against me, plaintiff pro se with no law training, when I sued for being cheated out of $15,000 for their now undisputedly unlawful data scrubbing program.

They refused settlement offers from me, even though it is crystal clear that my family was cheated by the crooks they pampered on staff and our mayor-elect who covered up the cheating.

They feel free to spend whatever they must to try to stomp the little guy over what are really peanuts to them, but are scared to take on the big boys for something that could significantly benefit our kids. Cowards.

When I read the claim about the “huge” legal fees associated with rejecting the deal, my jaw dropped. 3 Million Dollars a year in legal fees? Is that what the board is saying? That’s three times what it spent defending itself in the attendance scandal.

I don’t think any board member is dumb enough to believe that justification. I think the board thinks voters are dumb enough to believe it: insulting beyond comprehension.

Viewing 6 posts - 226 through 231 (of 231 total)

The forum ‘Sports’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION