Our City Online

Messageboard - Sports

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

OSU Football

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Sports OSU Football

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 177 total)
  • Author
    Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Which reminds me…. why the fuck is Fickell still here?

I ask that question every time they get burned deep…which is a lot.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Nepotism. Fickell is a “Buckeye”.

Screw that. Just hire the best guy for the job.

Michigan is a prime example of what you get when you hire a “Michigan Man” instead of the best qualified candidate.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

J.T. is playing very well, but at this point I would gladly welcome Braxton back in the starting position if healthy.

Stronger and faster.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

I’d personally rather be with Barrett. A few reasons:

Although his arm may be slightly weaker, and he might not have as much explosive open field running ability, Barrett is more accurate and better at reading defenses. He’s also not the injury liability and ticking time bomb that Braxton now is. Barrett is certainly athletic enough to put up respectable rushing yards when things break down, and the offense seems to be much more cohesive and complete with JT.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

And the play of the night goes to Cardale Jones

Mister Shifter
    Participant

I jumped out of the sofa for that hit.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

First of all…awesome offensive performance from the line to the QB to the RB to receivers. Defense and special teams, not so much (although D tightened up when it needed to).

This isn’t an OSU play, but the holy shit play of Saturday’s football games:

DavidF
    Participant

That was a ridiculous bit of showboating that bit him in the ass and will likely be the defining moment of his career.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

OK, I”m ready for the game now.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

The buckeyes would have blown out the gophers and the Spartans if they would quit fumbling the ball away. With that said, I think we’re sitting in a pretty good spot right now.

RedStorm
    Participant

These damn “H backs” can’t hold onto the ball. Smh.

Will be interesting to see the rankings come out tomorrow. I think they *should* be around 5th or 6th, but will probably be 7th. Going to need a few more losses in front, but we’ve seen that happen just about every week.

RBloodworth
    Participant

I agree that the Buckeyes are probably better than the 7th-ranked team in the country (although it’s admittedly hard to tell, given that most of the Big Ten is absolutely awful), but there really isn’t a good argument to rank them any higher than that. Yes, they’ve greatly improved since the beginning of the year, and the fact that the Braxton Miller injury forced the coaches to turn to an inexperienced QB at a late point in training camp needs to be considered, but that still doesn’t change the fact that they lost to a GOD-AWFUL Virginia Tech team at home. The entire body of work needs to be taken into account, and no contending team in America has a worse loss than that one. That, and the fact that OSU only has one win (as impressive as it was) against a quality opponent (no, Minnesota doesn’t count), is enough to justify placing them at the back of the pack of one-loss teams. We need to hope that 1.) the Bucks win out in impressive fashion, 2.) Wisconsin wins the rest of their regular-season games impressively and comes into the conference championship game with a high ranking, and 3.) at least two of the 6 teams ranked ahead of us lose before we can seriously think about the playoffs (cue Jim Mora…).

All that being said, what we’re seeing from J.T. Barrett right now is truly something special. Forget being one of the best freshman seasons in OSU history; this has been one of the best seasons by ANY OSU player ever- and I’m hardly the type of guy to be easily wowed. He’s not going to win the Heisman this year, but the fact that he’s even mentioned in the conversation is just jaw-dropping. Hopefully, the kid will continue to keep his head screwed on straight amidst the hype, because he has the potential to be the greatest QB this program has ever produced.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Argument to rank them higher is simple, its not a body of work its the best team (note, also not most deserving or accomplished) at the time of the rankings. The offense is as good as any other team in college football right now.

More importantly, both TCU and Baylor have no championship game…don’t underestimate how huge that is come the end of the year if Ohio State wins theirs, especially against Wisconsin with a frontrunner for the Heisman who just ran for 408 yards in 3 quarters.

Pablo
    Participant

From the ESPN SEC blog:

Ohio State deserves to be in top four

If the goal is to put the best teams into the playoff, Ohio State’s case is sound. In fact, there may not be a team in the country playing better football right now than the Buckeyes. Barrett has gone from a deer in headlights to a Heisman candidate. The offensive line has allowed just 10 sacks in the last eight games. The defense is light years ahead of Oregon by virtually any metric.

http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/id/93972/ohio-state-deserves-to-be-in-top-four

Schoolboy
    Participant

I know many will disagree with me, but I would play Barrett next year over Braxton.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 177 total)

The forum ‘Sports’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: