Our City Online

Messageboard - Sports

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

OSU Football

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Sports OSU Football

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 177 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Student slammed to Ohio Stadium turf due in court
    Tuesday September 30, 2014 3:15 AM

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — A student body-slammed to the Ohio Stadium turf by a Buckeyes strength coach is due in court on a criminal-trespassing charge. Anthony Wunder is slated to appear in Franklin County Municipal Court on Tuesday morning.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/apexchange/2014/09/30/oh—ohio-st-fan-slam.html

geoyui
    Participant

Looks like he lost his full ride scholarship

Collins said that Wunder was told yesterday by the Evans Scholars program that Wunder has lost his scholarship with the program. Collins also said that Wunder is no longer living in the Evans Scholars house.

Collins, however, said that Wunder remains enrolled at Ohio State. He is a fourth-year student in a five-year engineering program, Collins said.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

In the comments

Joe Sommer (J.C.Sommer)
    Good for the student for fighting against the abusive treatment he received. There was no reason for the assistant coach to slam him to the ground, an act that could have caused serious injury. There was no reason for the assistant coach to grab and hold on to the student’s hair while he and a security officer took him off the field. The assistant coach acted like an ignorant brute and thug, in front of over 100,000 people and a national TV audience, and has brought national ridicule and disgrace on the university. The assistant coach should be the one in big trouble over the matter.

Are you kidding me? Running on to the field during play you are free game IMO.

gramarye
    Participant

In the comments

Joe Sommer (J.C.Sommer)<br>
    Good for the student for fighting against the abusive treatment he received. There was no reason for the assistant coach to slam him to the ground, an act that could have caused serious injury. There was no reason for the assistant coach to grab and hold on to the student’s hair while he and a security officer took him off the field. The assistant coach acted like an ignorant brute and thug, in front of over 100,000 people and a national TV audience, and has brought national ridicule and disgrace on the university. The assistant coach should be the one in big trouble over the matter.

I’m stunned at the number of people siding with the prankster, too, and I think there’s just an undercurrent of anti-OSU-athletics animus in it; I felt that with the Jon Waters fiasco, too.

Honestly, though, I think the revocation of the kid’s scholarship was harsh. I even think the criminal trespassing charge was harsh, even though I know it’s a fourth-degree misdemeanor with a maximum sentence of 30 days (and which will, in practice, likely be zero with a couple of months’ probation). Write it off as a dumb drunken stunt by a dumb drunken student and move on. I know that the kid probably is guilty of that, but seriously, so is everyone rushing the field after a big win (including myself, in my younger days)–the circumstances might seem different because the game is over at that point, but legally, you’re still not technically allowed on the field.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

How dare this kid desecrate the sanctity of the OSU football field? Does he think that football is some kind of game?

O-H!

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>vestanpance wrote:</div>

How dare this kid desecrate the sanctity of the OSU football field? Does he think that football is some kind of game?

O-H!

I get that it’s a innocent thing in the case. But I’d rather someone (who ever gets there first) take out anyone running on the field in case they have some other agenda.

more to do with safety then the game.

geoyui
    Participant

I get that it’s a innocent thing in the case. But I’d rather someone (who ever gets there first) take out anyone running on the field in case they have some other agenda.

more to do with safety then the game.

Anyone remember Royals vs. White Sox?

Mister Shifter
    Participant

You can’t be careful when it comes to fan(atics). Sure, most of them are drunk and just looking for a laugh. Although, you have to protect the players and coaches from the ones that want to do harm. It’s happened more than enough times already.

DouginCMH
    Participant

This whole discussion reminds me of this:

Schoolboy
    Participant

At this point the kid has no choice but to sue. Revoking is scholarship, tagging his record with an M4 or more… come on. Do one or the other but not both. That’s trying to severely alter this kids life over something so stupid and petty as running down the football field… fully clothed I might add.

Now if he were going to sue over the tackle after receiving a slap on the wrist, then ya… screw that… but no. I don’t blame him for suing.

dalias
    dalias
    Participant

At this point the kid has no choice but to sue. Revoking is scholarship, tagging his record with an M4 or more… come on. Do one or the other but not both. That’s trying to severely alter this kids life over something so stupid and petty as running down the football field… fully clothed I might add.

Now if he were going to sue over the tackle after receiving a slap on the wrist, then ya… screw that… but no. I don’t blame him for suing.

How would this resolve anything?
    The Evans Scholarship is a prestigious national scholarship from an organization with very strong ideals and expectations. The organization, not OSU, stripped him of his award, likely for contradicting the behavioral standards of the sponsoring organization. This would have most likely happened slam or no slam.

I suppose you could argue any monetary award could replace the lost finances of the scholarship.

News
    Participant

Barrett runs, passes Buckeyes past Rutgers, 56-17
    Oct. 18, 2014

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) – J.T. Barrett completed his first nine passes, ran for 107 yards and two touchdowns and threw for three more scores to lead No. 13 Ohio State past Rutgers 56-17 on Saturday. The Buckeyes (5-1, 2-0 Big Ten) have averaged 56 points in a four-game win streak since losing at home to Virginia Tech.

READ MORE: http://www.ohiostatebuckeyes.com/sports/m-footbl/recaps/101814aaa.html

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I’m not sure if it’s just the opponents but the team looks pretty damn good at the moment. The pass defense is still the weak spot, but even they played well this week.

howatzer
    Participant

#16 is a phenom. There’s no doubt about it. Braxton who?
    Right now we’re probably one of the best offenses in country, and one of the better defensive lines (Bosa is also a phenom). Unfortunately, the defensive secondary will get demolished against any decent offense.

howatzer
    Participant

Which reminds me…. why the fuck is Fickell still here?

Viewing 15 posts - 46 through 60 (of 177 total)

The forum ‘Sports’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: