Our City Online

Messageboard - Sports

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

OSU Football

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Sports OSU Football

• This topic has 176 replies, 42 voices, and was last updated 6 years ago by News.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 177 total)
  • Author

j mcclane
    Participant

If he’s done, I think it’s ok to write them off. Heisman, Big 10 Champs, National Champs, those were all expectations this season. You don’t lose the most decorated QB in bucks history a couple weeks before the season starts and expect to compete at the same level.

Of course you still root for the team and talk yourself into being happy with a few loses. Just goes to show you how hard is to run the table in college football.

Really a shame, very curious to see what Braxton does after this year.

SSBucks
    Participant

As they say…..next man up.

This is still a very talented football team.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

Officially done. I wonder if he will just go on to the draft, or redshirt this year and play again next? Honestly I think it’d be better to just pass the torch rather than give Barrett a full season and then make him sit a full season next year and slow his development.

I’m excited to see what Barrett can do.. from all accounts he’s a winner. Expectations are lowered, but the team certainly isn’t terrible now because of this setback. It will be fun to watch what OSU does finally playing as the underdog in a few games.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

I’d guess he’ll redshirt it, I can’t imagine his draft prospects are improved by not playing this year.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

Officially done. I wonder if he will just go on to the draft, or redshirt this year and play again next? Honestly I think it’d be better to just pass the torch rather than give Barrett a full season and then make him sit a full season next year and slow his development.

I’m excited to see what Barrett can do.. from all accounts he’s a winner. Expectations are lowered, but the team certainly isn’t terrible now because of this setback. It will be fun to watch what OSU does finally playing as the underdog in a few games.

All of this +1

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

News
    Participant

How to watch Ohio State vs. Navy: Preview, TV schedule, odds, more
    By Adam Jacobi on Aug 30 2014, 9:00a +

A month ago, this looked like a decent opening test for the Buckeyes and their Heisman candidate quarterback, Braxton Miller. Welllllllllllp. Instead it’s now a trial by fire for redshirt freshman J.T. Barrett, who has been thrust into the starting role about a year earlier than anyone in Columbus would have wanted.

READ MORE: http://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2014/8/30/6063989/ohio-state-navy-game-schedule-streaming-time

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

So the good: Barrett seems to be calm in the pocket and a solid passer, the running game looks fantastic, and the line is providing good coverage and openings.

The bad: I’m not seeing anything significantly better on defense.

FireEngine
    Participant

I don’t think you can make any observations about the defense. Navy is such a completely different offense than the rest of football. It seemed like the defense stayed in a standard 4-3 the entire game. It was nice to see the effect the rotation of big, athletic D-lineman had by the end of the game. Navy was worn out on both sides.

gramarye
    Participant

I don’t think you can make any observations about the defense. Navy is such a completely different offense than the rest of football. It seemed like the defense stayed in a standard 4-3 the entire game. It was nice to see the effect the rotation of big, athletic D-lineman had by the end of the game. Navy was worn out on both sides.

Later opponents won’t be, though.

At the moment, I think we’re overrated at #5. And last year, even before the Michigan State game, multiple people here (including me) all said that we were underwhelmed with the amount of improvement in the team from the first regular season game to the last.

Where we stand now, I could even see us potentially losing to an unranked team on top of its game. Not the way I’d bet, but not a negligible possibility, either.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I didn’t get a chance to watch it but I was able to listen to it on the Navy call on XM. Sounded like the defense was getting torched in the first half and that’s not even the weakest part of our D (the corners are/where last year). Very nervous about this weekend.

News
    Participant

Record Number Of People, Including Lebron James, Attend OSU Football Home Opener
    OSU Marching Band Halftime Show

By Staff Writer
    Saturday September 6, 2014 11:39 PM

COLUMBUS, Ohio – 107,517 people, including Cleveland Cavalier LeBron James, attended Saturday night’s Ohio State University football team’s home opener. Ohio State reports that’s a record for Ohio Stadium.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2014/09/06/columbus-ohio–record-number-of-people-including-lebron-james-attend-osu-football-home-opener.html

News
    Participant

Virginia Tech Stuns No. 8 Ohio State 35-21
    COLUMBUS, Ohio — Sep 7, 2014, 1:34 AM ET
    By RUSTY MILLER AP Sports Writer

Urban Meyer knows that if things don’t get better soon his Ohio State Buckeyes might just face more defeats down the road like the one they were handed in front of the biggest home crowd ever. Michael Brewer passed for two touchdowns on Saturday night and Virginia Tech’s defense stood tough at the end as the Hokies stunned the eighth-ranked Buckeyes 35-21.

READ MORE: http://abcnews.go.com/Sports/wireStory/brewers-td-passes-lift-hokies-osu-35-21-25322111

brothermarcus
    Participant

Oof, that was the worst performance since Meyer took the job… Hard to watch. I heard a remark today that it seems like the coaches are more focused on what they think the players can’t do or handle than on trying to run a strategy and accept that misses will happen- so we’ve wound up with both a hesitant/reactionary game plan and the mistakes of young players and that’s a no-win. I think these kids can play, with their fair share of rookie mistakes, and I think the coaches are letting them down.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

agree. That was the worse I think I’ve seen the team since the lose to Florida in the NC game way back when. (not counting the fickell year(why does he still have a job?))

The offensive line was completely crushed. I would say they could have slowed that down with draws and screen passes but I don’t think there was even time to get that off. Might as well have just direct snapped it to a running back and let him have a go at it.

And let’s be clear about one thing, Va Tech is not good either. The pass interference call in the 4th was the game changer.

Betting there will be a whole lot of empty seats this saturday.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 177 total)

The forum ‘Sports’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: