Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

OSU Fires Band Director Jon Waters

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion OSU Fires Band Director Jon Waters

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 179 total)
  • Author
    King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

Yeah that’s the best part. This all happened because someone’s mom complained. You have to be kidding.

Personally, I don’t think this is a big deal at all and I certainly don’t think he should have been fired. So Waters cursed at a kid, oh gee whiz, I bet our football or basketball coaches never do that.

So college students had jokes and references to sex. I bet OSU’s band probably started that. Oh and they marched in underwear through the stadium! By Golly, goodness gracious! I wish I would I would have been able to do that.

When this story first broke I braced myself for something shocking or really disgraceful and then I read the transcripts and the report and all I could think was, “that’s it?”

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

To clarify do I think this is the type of stuff they should be doing? Probably not.

And if you’re the band director you have to make sure none of it happens while you’re there (plausible deniability and all that). Should he have a gotten a slap on the wrist? Sure. Should he have been fired? No.

Were the types of things that were happening any worse than what you see on TV after 9 pm? Nope, not from what I can tell.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>vestanpance wrote:</div>
    for what it’s worth, the current Student population seem to be siding with Waters and not the University leadership. Now after the current students are gone I don’t think any future classes will give a shit.

A tiny minority of vocal students, many of whom appear to be current band members… there are 58,000 students on the main campus, and from what I’ve seen, it’s a non issue for the majority.

I’m not so sure that it’s tiny. Maybe the vocal ones are tiny. The ones I asked aren’t vocal and didn’t really care that much, but still thought he shouldn’t have been fired. I personally thought he should have been. Just stating what we’ve seen in our office from a student perspective.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

I’m not so sure that it’s tiny. Maybe the vocal ones are tiny. The ones I asked aren’t vocal and didn’t really care that much, but still thought he shouldn’t have been fired. I personally thought he should have been. Just stating what we’ve seen in our office from a student perspective.

BTW, the only students I really care to hear from are ones that were actually in the band. I’ve heard a lot of them coming out in support of Waters or disputing the accusations. I’ve heard none of them coming out in agreement with his firing or the report.

Again, one kid’s mom thought her ADULT child was in a sexually charged environment and complained.

She probably shouldn’t have sent him to college.

Coy
    Participant

BTW, the only students I really care to hear from are ones that were actually <em class=”d4pbbc-italic”>in the band. I’ve heard a lot of them coming out in support of Waters or disputing the accusations. I’ve heard none of them coming out in agreement with his firing or the report.

Again, one kid’s mom thought her ADULT child was in a sexually charged environment and complained.

So, never mind the thousands of other students on campus, they don’t deserve to have a say in the culture of the campus/school?

And this whole thing about “OMG, someones MOM snitched” being a problem for all you guys… let’s flip the script a little bit. Imagine you are putting your daughter through college, and she is busting her ass to make you proud by getting good grades and investing a ton of time in the band. Then you come to find that the 40 some year old director of the band, the one that is supposed to mentor your daughter, is referring to her by some sexualized nickname (Joobs, Taint Brush, etc) in front of her peers.

OSU would be lucky that I called and complained first in that case.

Coy
    Participant

“I’m not so sure that it’s tiny. Maybe the vocal ones are tiny. The ones I asked aren’t vocal and didn’t really care that much, but still thought he shouldn’t have been fired. I personally thought he should have been. Just stating what we’ve seen in our office from a student perspective.”

I’ve not talked to a single student or staff member who thinks this was handled poorly.
    In fact, everyone I’ve spoken to thinks Waters made his own bed and all the outrage against his firing is kind of embarrassing.

Schoolboy
    Participant

I’ve heard a lot of them coming out in support of Waters or disputing the accusations. I’ve heard none of them coming out in agreement with his firing or the report.

Eh. That’s not really surprising though is it? If a handful or more of the bandmates were completely for the firing, they would never publicly admit it. You would be completely ostracized. In all honesty, I feel worse for the kid who’s mother is being blamed for this firing. No way will that information not eventually leak out, and even if it doesn’t there area a couple of kids I’m sure are already being falsely blamed anyways.

Forgive me if the info isn’t already public knowledge, to be honest I haven’t care much about this story. Now had the band been suspended, then I would have paid a lot more attention.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

James Ragland
    Participant

The behavior in the report, if exhibited and caught on fraternity row at Ohio State University would be subject to disciplinary action from the University, so why is it a shock that Mr. Waters was fired due to the number of students who were involved and the acts committed? Here’s the policy:
    http://studentlife.osu.edu/csc/

The section on hazing is on page 4. It’s spelled out pretty clearly. Kids have been kicked out of Ohio State for worse.

arj
    Participant

This whole situation smacks of ridiculousness. If zee presidente didn’t like what was occurring in the band “culture,” he should have given direct orders to Mr. Waters to clean it up immediately. If mystery band member’s mommy didn’t like it….grow a pair, lady. You can’t protect Babbette her whole life. Good God, wait until she has to pay taxes, then complain. I have seen all sorts of youtube videos about all sorts of college band “cultures,” and what zee presidente is so concerned about happens everywhere. That does not necessarily condone improper behavior, but most college students are not known for “proper” behavior. Just walk the campus during and after a home football game. Zee presidente is waging a publicity war to further his own agenda, wanting to make a name for himself. What’s next….a vendetta against the Little Sisters of the Poor? Methinks zee sister de presidente is waaay off base in his handling of this situation. Instead of OSU paying dear Betty Montgomery and three or four other professional behavior specialty gurus to investigate, he should have just contacted Ohio Attorney General Mikey “Stuebenville” DeWhine, who knows all about what is and what is not proper. This just in: NCAA issues major fine against OSU for their Title IX violations…..film at 11.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Coremodels wrote:</div>
    BTW, the only students I really care to hear from are ones that were actually <em class=”d4pbbc-italic”>in the band. I’ve heard a lot of them coming out in support of Waters or disputing the accusations. I’ve heard none of them coming out in agreement with his firing or the report.

So, never mind the thousands of other students on campus, they don’t deserve to have a say in the culture of the campus/school?

And this whole thing about “OMG, someones MOM snitched” being a problem for all you guys… let’s flip the script a little bit. Imagine you are putting your daughter through college, and she is busting her ass to make you proud by getting good grades and investing a ton of time in the band. Then you come to find that the 40 some year old director of the band, the one that is supposed to mentor your daughter, is referring to her by some sexualized nickname (Joobs, Taint Brush, etc) in front of her peers.

I’d want my precious snowflake forever sheltered too.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Coremodels wrote:</div>

If my adult daughter was referred to by a nickname that she was comfortable with and chose for herself, sexualized or not, I wouldn’t give a rat’s ass. There is zero indication, btw, that these nicknames were ever actually used by Waters. And no, I don’t think the thousands of other students at Ohio State should get to characterize and judge activities they weren’t a part of based on a complaining mother and a report that people listed in are questioning.

Coy
    Participant

Right. Got it.

So, individual people within a complex massive state organization could possibly have different takes on how such a situation could be interpreted.
    Parents, paying to put their children through college, may very well have different expectations on how their children should expect to be treated by the staff being paid for said education.
    And the University took steps to protect themselves, and the students, from being liable for those decisions that do not fit within the culture the University wants to cultivate, and/or is required to by Title IX.

We good now?

EvilAnton
    EvilAnton
    Participant

Fifty Shades of Scarlet & Gray. Amirite?

+1

/slowclap

Coy
    Participant

Well, that escalated quickly.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 179 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: