Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

OSU Fires Band Director Jon Waters

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion OSU Fires Band Director Jon Waters

Viewing 14 posts - 166 through 179 (of 179 total)
  • Author

gramarye
    Participant

[quote=1043658]The comparison to Penn State is disgusting.

That is all.
    [/quote]

+1

I’ll be interested in following the progress of the lawsuit, but don’t expect many more fireworks from either side for a long time now. The real problem with lawsuits implicating matters of wide public concern (though, of course, I use “wide” in this case somewhat self-consciously, as I do appreciate the fact that the world doesn’t actually revolve around OSU) is that the restrictions for parties commenting on matters currently in litigation mean that we’re only going to get trickles of information from this point forward, at least from the parties themselves. We probably already know what the principal pieces of evidence are going to be from both sides, as they’ve been widely reported (assuming there isn’t some shocker buried somewhere, but it doesn’t feel that way), but under a typical litigation timeline, the parties won’t actually have to put their formal legal arguments on paper for months yet, and in the meantime, there are a lot of restrictions on the public comments they can make.

That won’t keep independent supporters (and opponents, to the extent there are any outside the university who consider it worth the effort) from continuing their dialogues, of course, but the university is probably going to remain largely silent on this matter for many months to come now, and with good reason.

News
    Participant

gramarye
    Participant

Twenty-eight members of the faculty at Harvard Law School just went public with the kind of language that I wish Drake would have had the courage to use to the Department of Education bureaucrats that were clearly turning the screws on the Ohio State administration, and which ultimately resulted in Waters being thrown under the bus (or to the wolves):

http://www.bostonglobe.com/opinion/2014/10/14/rethink-harvard-sexual-harassment-policy/HFDDiZN7nU2UwuUuWMnqbM/story.html

When I previously talked about “loyalty,” this is the kind of speaking-truth-to-power I had in mind. Note in particular the professors’ calling out of the Harvard administration for the fact that it “apparently decided simply to defer to the demands of certain federal administration officials,” among the many other problems with the new harassment policy. It’s not a 100% match, of course, given that this is a prospective policy whereas the Glaros report was a retroactive investigation, but the same concerns about a process that is absurdly unfairly stacked against the person being investigated are present in both.

That said, I still don’t necessarily share the optimism that the Republican strategist in the WOSU clip has regarding Waters’ ultimate victory (or large settlement) in the court case. Sometimes patently unfair results are still perfectly legal.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Ohio State files new allegations against fired band director Jon Waters

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2014/10/23/Ohio_state_files_new_allegations_against_waters_band.html

After Waters was fired, OSU officials discovered a third sexual assault in the band while he was in charge, and they found several raunchy student-produced videos that sometimes included students who were partially nude. Waters sometimes appeared in cameos, according to OSU.

Might be time to close up your lawsuit buddy.

James Ragland
    Participant

[quote=1047350]

Ohio State files new allegations against fired band director Jon Waters

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2014/10/23/Ohio_state_files_new_allegations_against_waters_band.html

After Waters was fired, OSU officials discovered a third sexual assault in the band while he was in charge, and they found several raunchy student-produced videos that sometimes included students who were partially nude. Waters sometimes appeared in cameos, according to OSU.

Might be time to close up your lawsuit buddy.

[/quote]

Uh-oh.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

who needs a band when you can have sheep.

News
    Participant

News
    Participant

Emails Detail OSU’s Knowledge And Approval Of Midnight Ramp
    Posted: Dec 08, 2014 4:25 PM EST
    By: Denise Yost, Multimedia Content Manager

COLUMBUS, Ohio – NBC4 obtained new emails Monday detailing just how much The Ohio State University School of Music administrators and other officials knew about the marching band culture years before Jonathan Waters was director.

Waters was fired on July 23 after a two-month investigation by the university.

The Ohio State investigation allegedly revealed cultural issues that Waters was allegedly aware of or should have been aware of. It was further alleged that Waters failed to eliminate the “sexualized culture” and prevent it from reoccurring.

READ MORE: http://www.nbc4i.com/story/27577249/emails-detail-osus-knowledge-and-approval-of-midnight-ramp

News
    Participant

Fired OSU Band Director Applies For Old Job
    Posted: Jan 20, 2015 5:32 PM EST
    By: NBC4 Staff

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Fired Ohio State band director Jon Waters has formally applied for his old position. According to Waters’ attorney, David Axelrod, Waters sent a four and a half page application to the university, for a tenure-track band director position.

READ MORE: http://www.nbc4i.com/story/27896932/fired-osu-band-director-applies-for-old-job

DouginCMH
    Participant

Not to be pedantic, but I don’t think he’s applying for his old job. He’s applying for what is now a tenure track faculty position. The job duties may be similar (or virtually the same), but a tenure track faculty position is a completely different animal from what I think was probably the at will Administrative and Professional staff position that Waters previously held.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I feel like his lawyer is milking him for all he’s worth with claims of things like.. you still have a chance…

just walk away man. Save your money.

Porky
    Porky
    Participant

OSU Band Director Search Committee Member Resigns

COLUMBUS, Ohio – A search committee member tasked with hiring fired Ohio State Marching Band Director Jonathan Waters’ replacement has resigned. Lindsay Conkel was a student representative on the search committee. In her resignation letter, Conkel says, “On more than one occasion I have been led to believe that the direction of this search committee has been predetermined without committee input.”…

http://www.nbc4i.com/story/28891247/osu-band-director-search-committee-member-resigns

DouginCMH
    Participant

What? A top down, ram it through with a thin veneer of procedural input and total lack of transparency approach to decision-making at Ohio State? I’m shocked, shocked!

News
    Participant

Ohio State Denies Ex-Band Director’s Defamation Claims
    By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS • 40 MINUTES AGO

Ohio State University is denying defamation claims raised by the school’s former band director in a $1 million lawsuit and asking a judge to dismiss the complaint. The university says no one at Ohio State or acting on its behalf destroyed the “good name” of former band leader Jonathan Waters.

READ MORE: http://radio.wosu.org/post/ohio-state-denies-ex-band-directors-defamation-claims

Viewing 14 posts - 166 through 179 (of 179 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.