Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

OSU Fires Band Director Jon Waters

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion OSU Fires Band Director Jon Waters

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 179 total)
  • Author

Mister Shifter
    Participant

M.O.
    Participant

With the complete remake of the field display it’s too bad the raunchy stuff didn’t come up for overhaul too.

I guess the next director will have to march to the beat of a different drummer.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

That report is a pretty crazy read.

bayrea
    Participant

What do you expect with “Jonathan Waters” as your band leader…

geoyui
    Participant

Interesting to hear the callers on The Fan. Callers are saying Waters could be the fall guy as he tried to change the culture, but failed.

rus
    rus
    Participant

That report is a pretty crazy read.

Educational too. Had to look up “tiggles”.

Mister Shifter
    Participant

“Taint Brush”

News
    Participant

Press Release:
    University Statement on Ohio State Marching Band Culture

The Ohio State University takes very seriously its responsibility to provide a world class education, which is enriched by a positive campus culture, diverse academic experience and opportunities for personal growth. Those responsibilities are built on the University’s core values of integrity, personal accountability, openness and trust.

While the Ohio State Marching Band has embraced a tradition of excellence and become a source of enormous pride for the entire Buckeye family, a recent review of the Marching Band culture and practices revealed conduct by members of the band and staff that is inconsistent with the University’s values and Title IX requirements.

A thorough investigation by the Office of University Compliance over the past two months revealed serious cultural issues and an environment conducive to sexual harassment within the Marching Band. In addition, the investigation determined that Director Waters was aware or reasonably should have known about this culture but failed to eliminate it, prevent its recurrence and address its effects.

Jon Waters has been terminated from his position as Director of the Marching Band.

“Nothing is more important than the safety of our students,” said The Ohio State University President Michael Drake. “We expect every member of our community to live up to a common standard of decency and mutual respect and to adhere to university policies.

Moving forward, we must abide by a zero tolerance policy at the University—both with the Marching Band and the entire campus community—for any behavior that creates a hostile culture at Ohio State. I view this as a new day and an opportunity for the Ohio State community to come together and embrace the values and behavior that have made this University great.”

In addition to changing the leadership of the Marching Band, the University immediately has taken additional steps to ensure that change is swift and impactful. This begins with the appointment of Betty Montgomery, former Ohio Attorney General, to lead an independent task force, reporting directly to President Drake and the Chairman of the Board of Trustees, to review this matter in its entirety. This task force will include nationally-recognized experts:

• Ernst & Young, which will conduct an investigatory review.
    • Sports Conflict Institute, which will conduct an independent review of the Ohio State Band culture.
    • Outside counsel to provide guidanceon Title IX compliance.

At this time, the Ohio State Marching Band season will continue under new leadership and steps are being taken to swiftly identify an interim band director. Additional training and guidance will be developed with new band leadership to create a proper culture, and nurturing environment.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

love that it points to urban dictionary for reference.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

“Two females rubbing their chests together. Their nicknames were “Jewoobs” and “Tiggles.””

Part of me can’t believe this stuff.. the other part wishes I had been in the band…

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

I had no idea the new president of OSU was black. Actually, I don’t recall hearing anything about him prior to today. It seems like his hiring was pretty low key –or maybe I just wasn’t paying attention?

NerosNeptune
    Participant

It was front and center on dispatch.com when he was announced.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I had no idea the new president of OSU was black. Actually, I don’t recall hearing anything about him prior to today. It seems like his hiring was pretty low key –or maybe I just wasn’t paying attention?

More discussion on him, here:

http://www.columbusunderground.com/forums/topic/osu-to-name-michael-drake-next-president

arualpalm
    Participant

Interesting to hear the callers on The Fan. Callers are saying Waters could be the fall guy as he tried to change the culture, but failed.

Those callers need to read the report. It wasn’t a strong attempt on Waters’ part to change the culture. Glad he’s gone.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 179 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: