Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

OSU Campus Development Projects - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development OSU Campus Development Projects – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 129 total)
  • Author

New52
    Participant

Even taking a bus isnt an option for most people. One nurse I work with drives daily from Ashland. Another drives daily from the Cincinnati area. Another drives in from Marion, and the list gos on. Last time I checked, COTA doesnt serve those areas……

jbcmh81
    Participant

When I only make roughly 25 thousand per year as an employee, $36 a month IS astronomical. We’re not all doctors here. That $36 could buy me a tank of gas that month, could buy my lunch for at least one week of work, could cover a hair cut that month, etc. However, I use that $36 to park because like a very large portion of employees at the medical center, I live further than 5 miles away and need to drive and therefore need a place to park that does not require me to arrive an hour or more before my shift starts.

Also, like someone else mentioned, what about tailgating for OSU games? We know the world comes to a stop where OSU football is concerned.

Why is OSU responsible for your choice to live greater than 5 miles away? Or anyone’s choices as far as living or transit arrangements? It’s not, and you don’t have the right to free/cheap parking just because you don’t live closer. This weird sense of entitlement from people is baffling.

Coy
    Participant

I’m guessing the fact that on $25k a year, the option of paying either University district slumlord or Victorian Village pricing is not an easy choice, so you live further away because its cheaper, no?
    Unless you live right on top of campus, driving is most often the only option.

I live 4 miles away and COTA is either so slow or so over taxed that it typically takes me 45-60min to just get up to the Ohio Union. Thats 2 hours added to my day if I want to take the bus over driving, a huge cost over a year in time lost.

Then there are the many med center students that are totally screwed by all of this, because most don’t have access to the money or even the right to hold a high enough level pass to be able to get a spot, even though they are required to work in the med center for their degrees.
    They also have to park at distant lots and bus in, if they are lucky.

Then there are the actual customers. Its a total cluster if you are trying to get to the med center for anything on time.

I don’t understand why they are turning this area into green space if they are clearly planning on more development there. Why not just leave them as surface lots for the time being? Are folks who have to take a bus to their car going to appreciate being able to stare out the window at where they could have parked?

But, the biggest thing not addressed in this article is how the University is going to work this out with CampusParc. Unless there was a previous arrangement, the current spaces on those surface lot will either need to be compensated for to CP, or an equivalent number created elsewhere to maintain what CP originally purchased under the concession agreement.

Tossing up at least a parking garage or two would seem to make the most sense, and Campus Parc would probably pay for it, too, if it meant more net spaces in the end.

Coy
    Participant

It’s getting hectic at the Med Center already!

http://thelantern.com/2014/09/crime-brief-mans-suspicious-actions-draw-attention/

“A female CampusParc employee reported disorderly conduct Sept. 17 at 12:30 p.m. after she received a series of telephone calls from a disgruntled OSU Wexner Medical Center employee. The Medical Center employee was upset because she couldn’t find a parking spot, according to a police report.

The woman called the CampusParc employee at least three times, and the CampusParc employee was upset after the continuous calls. After the suspect told the officer that she was just upset and would never hurt anyone, the CampusParc employee was no longer concerned.”

jbcmh81
    Participant

I’m guessing the fact that on $25k a year, the option of paying either University district slumlord or Victorian Village pricing is not an easy choice, so you live further away because its cheaper, no?<br>
    Unless you live right on top of campus, driving is most often the only option.

I live 4 miles away and COTA is either so slow or so over taxed that it typically takes me 45-60min to just get up to the Ohio Union. Thats 2 hours added to my day if I want to take the bus over driving, a huge cost over a year in time lost.

Then there are the many med center students that are totally screwed by all of this, because most don’t have access to the money or even the right to hold a high enough level pass to be able to get a spot, even though they are required to work in the med center for their degrees.<br>
    They also have to park at distant lots and bus in, if they are lucky.

Then there are the actual customers. Its a total cluster if you are trying to get to the med center for anything on time.

I don’t understand why they are turning this area into green space if they are clearly planning on more development there. Why not just leave them as surface lots for the time being? Are folks who have to take a bus to their car going to appreciate being able to stare out the window at where they could have parked?

But, the biggest thing not addressed in this article is how the University is going to work this out with CampusParc. Unless there was a previous arrangement, the current spaces on those surface lot will either need to be compensated for to CP, or an equivalent number created elsewhere to maintain what CP originally purchased under the concession agreement.

Tossing up at least a parking garage or two would seem to make the most sense, and Campus Parc would probably pay for it, too, if it meant more net spaces in the end.

I didn’t say it was an easy choice. I just don’t understand why people think it’s OSU’s responsibility to accommodate living and transit choices for every single one of its workers. It’s not possible and they really shouldn’t have to. OSU is providing the workers those jobs, and that’s about the only responsibility it has beyond following any state or federal employment guidelines. If the working conditions are not great (pay, benefits, etc.) or don’t match one’s lifestyle, there are choices. If the jobs are not conveniently located, there are choices. Again, perhaps not easy ones, but people are not powerless and no one is being unfairly victimized if they choose to turn a bunch of surface lots into green space or other development. Don’t want to take the bus? Well, then too bad. You just made a choice to be at the mercy of OSU parking policy and any subsequent changes because you have decided that it’s preferable to deal with than a longer commute. Free will can be a bitch, I guess.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Damn. You could almost walk it faster.

rus
    rus
    Participant

I just don’t understand why people think it’s OSU’s responsibility to accommodate living and transit choices for every single one of its workers.

*doesn’t think OSU is responsible to provide parking*

*demands bus service*

Coy
    Participant

I didn’t say it was an easy choice. I just don’t understand why people think it’s OSU’s responsibility to accommodate living and transit choices for every single one of its workers. It’s not possible and they really shouldn’t have to. OSU is providing the workers those jobs, and that’s about the only responsibility it has beyond following any state or federal employment guidelines. If the working conditions are not great (pay, benefits, etc.) or don’t match one’s lifestyle, there are choices. If the jobs are not conveniently located, there are choices. Again, perhaps not easy ones, but people are not powerless and no one is being unfairly victimized if they choose to turn a bunch of surface lots into green space or other development. Don’t want to take the bus? Well, then too bad. You just made a choice to be at the mercy of OSU parking policy and any subsequent changes because you have decided that it’s preferable to deal with than a longer commute. Free will can be a bitch, I guess.

Those jobs support the mission of the University, provide a great service for the surrounding community and medical research at large, and the entire Wexner Center also serves the dual role of being a learning institution for med students. I’ve just laid out why it makes no sense to spend the money to turn the current spots into green space, but there is also just the general compassionate thought process of considering employee morale, perhaps.

I don’t think anyone is asking for FREE parking here… just reasonable accommodations.
    Making everyone work in an additional bus trip into their day in order to get to the overpriced parking spot on the west side of campus is a huge pain in the ass. Your entire non work day has to work around that additional time before and after a job that is already rife with stress.
    Now, what if you have a family emergency and need to leave quickly? Too effing bad.

Half of the revenue for the University, HALF, comes from the Wex Med Ctr… you’d think they’d want happy employees.

Coy
    Participant

I’ve thought about testing that hypothesis myself.
    Can definitely bike it faster, but a motorcycle is the fastest, cheapest option for OSU.. which is why I no longer have a car myself.

rus
    rus
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>rus wrote:</div>

I’ve thought about testing that hypothesis myself.<br>
    Can definitely bike it faster, but a motorcycle is the fastest, cheapest option for OSU.. which is why I no longer have a car myself.

Hey, whatever works for you. Sounds like bus service doesn’t.

jbcmh81
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jbcmh81 wrote:</div>

Those jobs support the mission of the University, provide a great service for the surrounding community and medical research at large, and the entire Wexner Center also serves the dual role of being a learning institution for med students. I’ve just laid out why it makes no sense to spend the money to turn the current spots into green space, but there is also just the general compassionate thought process of considering employee morale, perhaps.

I don’t think anyone is asking for FREE parking here… just reasonable accommodations.<br>
    Making everyone work in an additional bus trip into their day in order to get to the overpriced parking spot on the west side of campus is a huge pain in the ass. Your entire non work day has to work around that additional time before and after a job that is already rife with stress.<br>
    Now, what if you have a family emergency and need to leave quickly? Too effing bad.

Half of the revenue for the University, HALF, comes from the Wex Med Ctr… you’d think they’d want happy employees.

No, you gave reasons why it makes no sense for them to do that in terms of your personal convenience or the personal convenience of some people who work there, not to OSU’s own long or short-term development goals.

Besides not being responsible for providing you with cheap, abundant parking that accommodates your living and transit choices, OSU is also not responsible for your feelings or mental health. That is a wholly unreasonable accommodation. That is your responsibility to deal with, and if your job or the circumstances around it are causing you undue stress, Columbus’ economy, by most accounts, is pretty decent and you are not being forced at gunpoint to remain an OSU employee. I know this is not something people like to hear, but it’s the truth. As much of a transit guy as I am, if people were complaining about having to say, deal with public transit issues in getting to work (as you have alluded to regarding commute times), I would be telling them the same things. No one is being forced to do anything they don’t want to do or haven’t chosen to do. Life is full of difficult choices, and if what we’re doing is not making us happy or no longer in our best interests, it’s absolutely our responsibility to do something about it. No one else will, and certainly OSU has no interest in personally catering to you, either. If the parking issue is too great a burden, it will become clear pretty quickly how much you really value your job with OSU. Is it worth it or not?

Coy
    Participant

Yeah, fuck it. Just move to North Korea. I hear they’ve got plenty of parking.

Just maybe keep in mind that when you say “OSU” you are actually referring to the sum total of a lot of very talented, hard working people… you know, the ones that create the draw to OSU and make it money in the first place.

jbcmh81
    Participant

Yeah, fuck it. Just move to North Korea. I hear they’ve got plenty of parking.

Just maybe keep in mind that when you say “OSU” you are actually referring to the sum total of a lot of very talented, hard working people… you know, the ones that create the draw to OSU and make it money in the first place.

Your mistake is thinking you are not replaceable. Every one of us is. If you don’t want to work for them, how many people out there do you think would like to have your job?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Or… you know… OSU could just build another parking garage for employees.

jbcmh81
    Participant

Or… you know… OSU could just build another parking garage for employees.

I’m sure part of the future development will involve a garage or two. I don’t think OSU is stupid. They’re not going to go out of their way to intentionally and perpetually make it harder for employees and patients to access the medical campus. But until then, I guess people have some tough choices to make.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 129 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: