Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

OSU Campus Development Projects - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development OSU Campus Development Projects – News & Updates

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 129 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Realigned Cannon Drive Will Mean New Parkland, Development Around OSU Medical Campus
    September 25, 2014 9:21 am – Brent Warren

As construction progresses at a rapid pace on the north side of OSU’s campus – two new dorms at the corner of Lane Avenue and High Street and another at Lane and Neil Avenue are close to being topped out – planning continues for the eventual reshaping of a key entrance to the south end of the campus.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/realigned-cannon-drive-will-mean-new-parkland-development-around-osu-medical-campus-bw1

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

I like the idea on a personal level, but I know a lot of people who work in the medical center are worried about losing all those parking spaces. Parking is a premium (and very expensive) already on campus and this will remove a lot of spaces without replacing them.

One of the solutions proposed seems to be busing employees from west campus lots to their jobs. Which would be a adjustment for a lot of people for sure. I’ve heard rumors that this already goes on for new hires in the med center but I’ve never actually met someone who does/forced to do that.

Luckily I’m on north campus and have a garage that is never full.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

How about more housing within walking distance of the medical campus – included as part of the developable parcels. Mixed use with a little ground floor retail would work nicely right across the street. How nice would it be for an employee to live at the corner of Cannon and King and walk across the street for work at OSU or Battelle, while grabbing a cup of coffee at the corner café on the way?

New52
    Participant

As always, the employees of the medical center are getting the short end of the stick. By developing this new “green space” along Cannon, they will have to do away with thousands of parking spaces that the employees pay an astronomical fee for but need because there is already a shortage of paking for them around the hospital campus. Sure, a “green space” is pretty, but sometimes you need function over beauty. Why not compromise, and develope a bi-level parking garage in that space with rooftop greenery?

Stephen43215
    Stephen43215
    Participant

How about better public transportation so these employees don’t need to use a car to get to and from work. How many people do you think live within 5 miles of working at OSU and still use their car. I would say almost all of them!

futureman
    Participant

The pit is all B pass (staff – non-faculty/ap staff) now, with a handful of A along the street. A B pass runs $36 and month or ~ $1.20 per day … hardly an astronomical fee.

Even if they build parking garages to replace the surface lots, the price per month would roughly double and economics would probably push a lot of people to the much cheaper lots on west campus or on Ackerman.

Josh Miller
    Josh Miller
    Participant

The Dispatch recently published an article about it, looks like a heavy reliance on a shuttle system starting in 2015. Medical Center employees would have to park in the Carmack Lot.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2014/09/14/ohio-state-plan-uses-shuttles-to-curbtraffic.html

osu parking shuttle plan

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I like the idea on a personal level, but I know a lot of people who work in the medical center are worried about losing all those parking spaces. Parking is a premium (and very expensive) already on campus and this will remove a lot of spaces without replacing them.

It looks like that new land east of Cannon opened up for development could easily house a large multi-story parking deck.

The times I’ve been inside the existing parking garages at the Medical Center, they’ve never been too full.

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>vestanpance wrote:</div>

It looks like that new land east of Cannon opened up for development could easily house a large multi-story parking deck.

The times I’ve been inside the existing parking garages at the Medical Center, they’ve never been too full.

I don’t go over there often but the employees I talk to say that it’s extremely difficult to get a spot in a garage unless you get there well before 8. Again, this is all hearsay. The garages you might be in could be visitor/patient only?

I didn’t realize the pit was all B passes. Yes those are not nearly as expensive as the A I buy. (by choice, but still it’s damn expensive)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The garages you might be in could be visitor/patient only?

Oh, that could be true. Didn’t realize they were seperated.

A B pass runs $36 and month or ~ $1.20 per day … hardly an astronomical fee.

Sounds like a bargain. Garage/surface parking Downtown can easily be in the $75-125/mo range.

jbcmh81
    Participant

Free/inexpensive abundant parking is not a right. Either accept the consequences of living by your car or make different choices.

DouginCMH
    Participant

Free/inexpensive abundant parking is not a right. Either accept the consequences of living by your car or make different choices.

Well, I agree, sort of.

Of course, as someone who also works on campus (not the med center), the only parking pass I’m allowed to purchase is an A pass, $841.56/year, or a remote pass, $218.52. Both during the day, work-related trips and morning/end of day childcare related trips on a tight schedule make the latter unworkable. You used to be able to get on the B pass waiting list, but I think Campus Parc did away with that (about half the price of an A pass). Or at least it seems so, since I know of several staff who previous qualified for a downgrade to a B pass who were forced to buy A passes this year.

The different choice we’ll be making? We both work on campus and both need to have parking more convenient than a remote lot provides. But in a year, two kids go off to college, at which point we’ll drop one pass, commute in together, and use Car2Go for any extraneous trips. I can’t wait. An A pass will probably be pushing $900/year by then.

jbcmh81
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jbcmh81 wrote:</div>

Well, I agree, sort of.

Of course, as someone who also works on campus (not the med center), the only parking pass I’m allowed to purchase is an A pass, $841.56/year, or a remote pass, $218.52. Both during the day, work-related trips and morning/end of day childcare related trips on a tight schedule make the latter unworkable. You used to be able to get on the B pass waiting list, but I think Campus Parc did away with that (about half the price of an A pass). Or at least it seems so, since I know of several staff who previous qualified for a downgrade to a B pass who were forced to buy A passes this year.

The different choice we’ll be making? We both work on campus and both need to have parking more convenient than a remote lot provides. But in a year, two kids go off to college, at which point we’ll drop one pass, commute in together, and use Car2Go for any extraneous trips. I can’t wait. An A pass will probably be pushing $900/year by then.

Not directed at you, but…

Costs and convenience are always on everyone’s plate. The point is, everyone has a choice on what they do about it. If the costs are too much, why not the bus? It seems most prefer to pay the cost of driving/parking rather than adding the extra commute time. But that’s a choice. So I don’t really get all the complaining. There are other ways with different compromises. Everyone chooses the compromise they are most comfortable with, but they’re still bound by any changes to that choice. If convenient, cheap parking is no longer available, adapt or get over it.

GreatOutdoors
    Participant

The Dispatch recently published an article about it, looks like a heavy reliance on a shuttle system starting in 2015. Medical Center employees would have to park in the Carmack Lot.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2014/09/14/ohio-state-plan-uses-shuttles-to-curbtraffic.html

osu parking shuttle plan

From that article…

“The proposal would connect Neil Avenue between Woodruff and 19th avenues, between two classroom halls in an area that’s now a pedestrian walkway. And 17th Avenue would be extended west, running just south of Ohio Stadium to Cannon Drive, so buses could pick up students in two dorm towers.”

It’s interesting that in order to create better safety for pedestrians they’re going to raze 2 pedestrians walkways (the one on Neil, and the one on the south side of the stadium) and build roads there instead.

New52
    Participant

When I only make roughly 25 thousand per year as an employee, $36 a month IS astronomical. We’re not all doctors here. That $36 could buy me a tank of gas that month, could buy my lunch for at least one week of work, could cover a hair cut that month, etc. However, I use that $36 to park because like a very large portion of employees at the medical center, I live further than 5 miles away and need to drive and therefore need a place to park that does not require me to arrive an hour or more before my shift starts.

Also, like someone else mentioned, what about tailgating for OSU games? We know the world comes to a stop where OSU football is concerned.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 129 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: