Our City Online

Messageboard - Development

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

OSU Campus Development Projects - News & Updates

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Development OSU Campus Development Projects – News & Updates

This topic contains 128 replies, has 25 voices, and was last updated by rus rus 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 129 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

OSU constructing a plan to fix buildings

By Gordon Gantt

Published: Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Although the Ohio State campus is almost constantly under construction, OSU officials say some buildings have slipped through the cracks.

Terry Foegler, OSU associate vice president for physical planning, said 75 buildings on the Columbus campus are in need of major renovation or total replacement.

READ MORE: http://www.thelantern.com/campus/osu-constructing-a-plan-to-fix-buildings-1.2160459

Click to enlarge:

labi
    Participant

The map with North to the left is innovative.

paktinat

I agree, much more innovative than the one where north is to the right:
    http://www.osu.edu/map/

jimbach
    Participant

Cunz Hall is a terrifying building. It looks like it should have been the Stasi headquarters.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I haven’t been through campus in awhile, but was surprised to see the “CBEC” building has popped up quickly (for me, anyway):

More photos, here: https://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-february-2013

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

New photos of CBEC and a few other OSU projects, here:

Construction Roundup: April 2013 Part 2

News
    Participant

OSU Construction Update – New Buildings, 18th Street Being Extended
    Published on May 2, 2013 9:15 am
    By: Brent Warren

If you’ve been traveling through campus on High Street recently, you’ve probably noticed an interesting building under construction at the corner of 18th Street, across from Buckeye Donuts. And, if you’ve looked to the west down Woodruff Avenue, you’ve probably seen a much larger building rising off in the distance.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/osu-construction-update-new-buildings-18th-street-being-extended-bw1

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

The CBEC building is moving along really quickly. Nice to see the development along High Street too.

FROM HERE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/construction-roundup-may-2013-part-2

News
    Participant

Ohio State campus construction project about 3 months ahead of schedule
    September 24, 2013
    Cameron Roda

At least one construction project on Ohio State’s campus is nearly a fourth of a year ahead of schedule. The newly constructed Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering and Chemistry Building is set for a grand opening ribbon-cutting ceremony on Oct. 1, 2014, about three months before its original estimated completion date, said Stuart Cooper, chair of the Chemical and Biomolecular Engineering Department.

READ MORE: http://thelantern.com/2013/09/ohio-state-campus-construction-project-3-months-ahead-schedule/

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

University District Plan: meeting tonight
    6:30 to 8:00pm
    Indianola Church of Christ
    2141 Indianola Avenue

The University District Plan will update and replace the existing University Neighborhoods Revitalization Plan (1996) and other planning documents for the University District. The planning area boundary is Fifth Avenue on the south, the Olentangy River on the west, the Glen Echo Ravine on the north, and the railroad tracks on the east. The Plan will include a land use plan, design guidelines for future commercial and residential development, and identify capital improvements for the neighborhood. See the Plan Process Summary and Work Program document for more information on the planning process and a tentative schedule.

Agenda
    September 24, 2013
    6:30 to 8:00pm
    Indianola Church of Christ
    2141 Indianola Avenue
    Columbus, OH 43201

1. Presentation
    A brief presentation will be given to explain the role of a neighborhood plan, why it is being
    developed, and review preliminary input received.
    2. Input Stations
    Three “stations” will be set up to allow the public to identify top planning issues, provide input on
    land use, and suggest potential capital improvements. Staff will be available at each station to
    facilitate, discuss, and answer questions.
    o Station 1: Issue identification
    o Station 2: Draft land use concept
    o Station 3: Capital improvements

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

JB05
    Participant

lazyfish said:
    http://development.columbus.gov/uploadedFiles/Development/Planning_Division/Current_Projects/University_District_Plan/Memo%20summarizing%20input%20from%201st%20public%20workshop.pdf

first round of feedback has been assembled.

I’m rather puzzled to see that low density housing is so well supported. I simply don’t understand how that’s feasible. It’s not like there’s a bunch of vacant land in the university district where they can just build one-story homes.

jbcmh81
    Participant

JB05 said:
    I’m rather puzzled to see that low density housing is so well supported. I simply don’t understand how that’s feasible. It’s not like there’s a bunch of vacant land in the university district where they can just build one-story homes.

Well, to be fair, medium and high density were also majority supported, though at smaller margins.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

JB05 said:

well, lots of folks like the neighborhood feel of the neighborhood, the high density trend tends to support the animal house vibe. Remember that Vicky Village and Dennison Place went through downzoning in the late 80’s to take back their neighborhood from the rooming houses.

labi
    Participant

JB05 said:

The support for low density is about preserving the historic housing stock that gives the neighborhood its character – not about building a bunch of new single family homes. All you have to do is drive around for 10 minutes to see how much inappropriate, ill-considered infill and horrible remuddling has gone on – ruining the desirability of big swaths of the neighborhood. Expanding a 3-bedrooom house into 6 bedrooms and paving the back yard for parking is no one’s idea of desirable density.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 129 total)

The forum ‘Development’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: