Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Urban Active Gym

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Urban Active Gym

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 8 posts - 121 through 128 (of 128 total)
  • Author

Rockmastermike
    Participant

So… Anyone a member of the grandview yard LA fitness?

Have they improved since all of the negative reviews and complaints?

The last post I saw here (4months ago in another 1-post thread) was complaining about the filthy conditions. Yelp is surprisingly overwhelmingly negative even for the internet but some of the very small number of reviews are old and I understand there may be some fallout from the change in ownership reflected there, so big grain of salt on that red flag.

We get a discount there for various reasons and I went to look into joining there to get back to doing some weight training. We checked the place out last night and it didn’t seem *that* bad, the staff even seemed laid back and didn’t pressure us as many of the complaints have suggested (perhaps because we have a rate locked in and they can’t jerk us around about it).

Any members care to help me out a bit with some honest comments? I don’t care about classes or trainers. I do care about facilities maintenance, cleanliness (it seemed marginally clean enough last night but it was NOT busy), staff ability/willingness to handle questions, and responsiveness to problems.

thanks in advance

Rockmastermike
    Participant

anyone?

buckette13

I belong. It is kind of the walmart of gyms. I tend to go, do my thing and get out. The price is great.

There are problems.

The machines get wonky – not totally broken but not working correctly and they don’t get fixed. This happens regardless of how many times you mention it or even leave notes.

The tv’s are getting old and a good majority no longer make good contact with the headphones. Nothing will probably ever be done about this.

Other than spinning the classes are limited.

The place gets really crowded before and after work. That is to be expected.

It is a bit of a meat market. I always feel I am being watched going up and down the center staircase. I have been hit on many times, a couple pretty inappropriately. It is a gym, not a bar.

It does get dirty. If you have a weak immune system, go early in the day. There are paper towels and sprays so I clean my own equipment.

More of a pet peeve, Urban Active used to have free wi-fi (ie watch netflix on your phone while doing cardio). LA Fitness took it out.

Stay away from the personal training at LA Fitness and avoid extras. I am on a prepaid plan to avoid any shenanigans.

The pluses-

cheap, tons of equipment, cardio theater, a pool, child care, free easy parking, good hours. Those are pretty good specs and mixed with the price it keeps me a member.

buckette13

I wanted to add that the free, easy parking is a HUGE plus. A bunch of my friends have joined downtown and SN gyms only to learn that having to find and/or pay for parking was a big excuse to blow off a workout.

tobyb

buckette13 said:
    I wanted to add that the free, easy parking is a HUGE plus. A bunch of my friends have joined downtown and SN gyms only to learn that having to find and/or pay for parking was a big excuse to blow off a workout.

+100
    Discoverd that myself. You think you will park and go before or after work but that is when it is really crowded and having to pay just adds to that. The cost of parking nearly doubled the cost of going to the gym.

susank

Rockmastermike said:
    anyone?

They seem to be more above board now. No hidden fees, no extra $15 maintenance fee several times a year, etc.

They are probably the best value gym in the city and if you read your contract you should be fine. It is the personal training contracts that I would avoid. The worst time is the 4-6 afterwork slot, but otherwise you have access to a lot of equipment at a very reasonable price. The free parking is a major plus as noted. If you are independently motivated and don’t need handholding this is a really nice gym option.

News
    Participant

Nov 1, 2013, 12:06pm EDT
    Urban Active agrees to $19 million settlement in membership dispute
    Dan Eaton – Staff reporter – Business First

More than 600,000 former customers of Urban Active are eligible for a piece of a $19 million settlement from the defunct fitness center chain. Global Fitness Holdings LLC and plaintiffs in a class-action lawsuit against the company said Friday they had resolved their dispute over the company’s business practices in a U.S. District Court fight that stretches back two years. The fitness chain, which was sold to LA Fitness and rebranded last year, faced allegations of improper sales, servicing and billing practices.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/blog/2013/11/urban-active-agrees-to-19-million.html

Rockmastermike
    Participant

susank said:
    They seem to be more above board now. No hidden fees, no extra $15 maintenance fee several times a year, etc.

They are probably the best value gym in the city and if you read your contract you should be fine. It is the personal training contracts that I would avoid. The worst time is the 4-6 afterwork slot, but otherwise you have access to a lot of equipment at a very reasonable price. The free parking is a major plus as noted. If you are independently motivated and don’t need handholding this is a really nice gym option.

We ended up joining. It’s been ok. I’m glad I did join. Our contract was negotiated ahead of time and there have been no surprises. Equipment has broken and been repaired reasonably quickly. It’s not filthy like some folks were saying. Nobody’s tried to sell me anything. It’s not bad at all for the price. Either a lot has changed or a lot of the folks writing those old bad reviews had their own agenda or higher standards than mine.

Viewing 8 posts - 121 through 128 (of 128 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: