Our City Online

Messageboard - Q&A

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Urban Active Gym

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Q&A Urban Active Gym

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 128 total)
  • Author

takeasiesta

Snarf wrote >>

Chris Sherman wrote >>
    geez this place sounds like a nightmare… all ya need is a set of large coffee cans, some cement and a 3/4in metal pipe and start curling!

and a clothesline jump rope, voila!

I can see it now. Average Sherm’s Gym: for the manly man. Classes include logging and how to fight a bear. Plaid shirts and PBR are mandatory.

awd86ed

takeasiesta wrote >>

Snarf wrote >>

Chris Sherman wrote >>
    geez this place sounds like a nightmare… all ya need is a set of large coffee cans, some cement and a 3/4in metal pipe and start curling!

and a clothesline jump rope, voila!

I can see it now. Average Sherm’s Gym: for the manly man. Classes include logging and how to fight a bear. Plaid shirts and PBR are mandatory.

JP614
    Participant

Both the Columbus Dispatch and Columbus Business First are reporting that Columbus-based Isaac Brant Ledman & Teetor LLP sued the company in U.S. District Court in Columbus on Monday in a lawsuit open to anyone “unlawfully or unconscionably billed” by Global Fitness Holdings LLC since March 2000.

Read more: Urban Active sued again in 2nd potential class action | Business First

http://www.bizjournals.com/columbus/news/2011/04/19/urban-active-sued-again-in-2nd.html

Read more: Urban Active also faces suit in federal court

http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/business/stories/2011/04/20/urban-active-also-faces-suit-in-federal-court.html?sid=101

cbus11

oh geez, ‘class’ action.

The irony is that I think a lot of the personal trainers were just ripping people off to put themselves through law school.

misskitty
    Participant

Many times Class Actions are a waste of time and effort. Class members often receive little or no benefit from class actions. The attorneys on the case get fat paid, while leaving class members with coupons or other awards of little or no value; unjustified awards are made to certain plaintiffs at the expense of other class members at times. It’s a shame because they are suppose to be helpful but there not really. Look at all the Asbestos and Mesothelioma cases do you think those people get paid? What will end up happing is urban active will give everyone effected a coupon for a free day that’s about it. You may get a check for 5 bucks.
    Can anyone point out a class action where there was a substantial settlement to the people filing?

scarletandgrey
    Participant

I want to make a class action lawsuit against all class action lawsuit lawyers.

aaminian
    Participant

misskitty wrote >>
    Many times Class Actions are a waste of time and effort. Class members often receive little or no benefit from class actions. The attorneys on the case get fat paid, while leaving class members with coupons or other awards of little or no value; unjustified awards are made to certain plaintiffs at the expense of other class members at times. It’s a shame because they are suppose to be helpful but there not really. Look at all the Asbestos and Mesothelioma cases do you think those people get paid? What will end up happing is urban active will give everyone effected a coupon for a free day that’s about it. You may get a check for 5 bucks.
    Can anyone point out a class action where there was a substantial settlement to the people filing?

I was a member in a recently resolved class action against BarBri (the largest provider of bar exam prep courses). I paid something like $1700.00 for my prep course back in ’06, and I just received a couple checks totaling about $450.00.

My wife worked for A&F for about a month 10 years or so ago, just before they got hit with a class action for discriminatory hiring practices. After the suit was resolved, she got a check for around a grand (more than she made during her time working there).

These suits definitely do pay out sometimes. It obviously just depends on the judgement amount and the size of the class.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Mister Shifter
    Participant
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Urban Active Sued Again; Ex-Employees Allege Discrimination
    Wednesday, May 11, 2011
    WBNS-10TV

Urban Active was facing another lawsuit on Wednesday, this one filed by former employees. Some ex-workers allege that the Kentucky-based gym chain discriminated against them because of age, race or sex, Consumer 10’s Kurt Ludlow reported.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/live/content/consumer10/stories/2011/05/11/story-columbus-urban-active-employee-lawsuit.html?sid=102

mrmann

Bumping this…

I am wondering if anyone knows if they have straightened up or has had experiences with them lately?

I am beginning to get a belly (well I think I heard someone say ‘tubby’ in my general direction), and my job offers a decent deal on a membership there. They seem to have a lot of equipment and I would avoid the personal training. Anyone still go there or has any current opinions?

JeepGirl
    Participant

My daughter is currently in a dispute with Urban Active regarding some unauthorized membership charges. I don’t really know the full details, but she has retained an atty to assist her with the issue.

mrmann

thanks

drakend
    Participant

I go to the one at Grandview Yard and I personally haven’t had any issues. I go in the mornings, and I know they open at 5 and I’ve heard complaints of them not always being there to open on time. However, in my experience the equipment is maintained, there’s RARELY a broken down machine, and unless you go IMMEDIATELY after work, there’s always plenty of machines/weights to go around.

I would say that I’ve observed their trainers, and only a few seem to be worthwhile…most give you their person an exercise to do and then mess on their cell phone until it’s time for the next exercise.

buckette13

I joined a about a year ago. Haven’t had any issues except that there is a lack of classes in the Grandview Urban Active. It also gets really crowded after work, but I think that is normal in most gyms. Avoiding the personal training contracts is a must as I have heard horror stories. For the money (I pay around $30 a month) it seems to be worth it. I was also told they are ending their twice a year $15 maintenance fees (which never sat well with me).

I wonder if it will get a lot more crowded when all of those new apartments are rented out. Is a gym membership (or discounted one) part of the their rents?

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 128 total)

The forum ‘Q&A’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION