Our City Online

Messageboard - Shopping

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

opinions on local car dealerships?

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Shopping opinions on local car dealerships?

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author

bastardsuperstar
    Participant

so it looks like the xB that we adore is gonna be totaled out by the insurance agent, so i might be looking for a new car right quick. we really liked the experience we had at scion direct a few years back, but neither of us like the redesign of the xB so there’s not much there for us. right now kinda leaning toward the nissan cube. anyone have any recommendations or criticisms of any local nissan lots?

or carmax? there’s an ’09 at carmax that test-drove perfectly yesterday, but i know nothing of their reputation and was wondering if anyone had any first-hand knowledge of their practices. i’ve read they give f*ck-all for trade-ins but that’s not going to be an issue for us.

any help’s appreciated. . .

KSquared

There is some good information here:

Best Used Car Dealers in Columbus

Good luck!

groundrules
    Participant

BS- here’s my story: I thought I might want a Frontier, so I checked out Germain Nissan on Morse Rd. I went in once, was told they didn’t have any Frontiers, but they’d call me. They didn’t. I called back, they didn’t have any, but said they’d call me. They didn’t. I went in, I was completely ignored in the show room. I left without talking to anyone. I was done begging to see one of their vehicles.

But, i happened to stop by since it was on my way to a toyota dealer, and I saw a frontier in the lot. I pulled in, and happened to meet their Business Manager, Tim King. This dude was great. Friendly, helpful, informative, basically everything that the rest of my experience with Germain was NOT. I mean, i actually wanted to buy a car from this guy because he was such a straight shooter. but I decided the frontier wasn’t the truck for me. Anyway, short story is if you can deal with Tim King, I’d recommend it. If not, all bets are off.

bababoohi

A bit of advice if you’re looking at used cars, get an Autocheck. It’s like carfax but better…at least from my experience. I had a car that had a perfectly clean carfax, I even ran one myself to make sure the dealer wasn’t pulling a fast one on me, but the Autocheck showed that it had been in a “moderate to severe” accident a few years prior.

bastardsuperstar
    Participant

groundrules wrote >> I pulled in, and happened to meet their Business Manager, Tim King. This dude was great. Friendly, helpful, informative, basically everything that the rest of my experience with Germain was NOT. . . . Anyway, short story is if you can deal with Tim King, I’d recommend it. If not, all bets are off.

yeah, the guy i just met at germain nissan actually reminded me a little too much of “ol’ gil” from the simpsons. we left wondering if they kept this bumbling uninformed guy on the staff to make the rest of the salesmen look better . . .

so far, we’re leaning towards a new cube, and at this rate buckeye nissan seems to have the stock we’re looking for and a pretty helpful dude with a very no-pressure approach.

still thinking of checking out ricart nissan’s selection, but there are a LOT of folks trying to make sure we steer clear of ricart altogether . . .

Analogue Kid
    Participant

I really like the new Ford Fiesta. The Cube is a good car from what I’ve heard but I don’t have much personal experience with it.

You’re probably going to get better service at the average American brand dealer than at the average import brand because despite all the closing and consolidation, there are still more American brand dealerships than imports, and thus more competition. There are exceptions to this of course (Ricart).

Also look at carsdirect or one of the other websites where you can get a quote directly without dealing with a salesman. Regardless, check out a dealers BBB rating before buying.

jammyave

I have bought from byers Volvo and germain Lexus on Columbus, stay away from byers and run to germain. Don’t know if its just Lexus but germain was awesome. Good experience with segna Volvo maintenance though I never bought from them.

TaraK
    Participant

No personal experience, but know lots of folks who are fans of Miracle Motors. My friends got a steal on a hybrid Camry there.

Tenzo
    Participant

groundrules wrote >>
    BS- here’s my story: I thought I might want a Frontier, so I checked out Germain Nissan on Morse Rd. I went in once, was told they didn’t have any Frontiers, but they’d call me. They didn’t. I called back, they didn’t have any, but said they’d call me. They didn’t. I went in, I was completely ignored in the show room. I left without talking to anyone. I was done begging to see one of their vehicles.

I was very surprised at the used car dealers here. I’m used to going to a car dealer, giving your name and what you want. If they don’t have it the guy looks for one in associated dealers, even ones from other states. They call you almost daily until you find the car you want from them or someone else.

Here. I’d go into a car dealer, tell them what I want, see a few cars and leave them my number.
    No calls
    None
    It got so I was going to car dealers once a week and checking their stock myself. Finally found exactly what I was looking for.
    Sitting in a lot. In one of the places I had given my name and phone number.

I purposely picked another guy to buy it from.
    I have no idea why no one took me seriously.
    Dog in a backpack maybe?

Had the same experience buying a house. My house deal fell through and I called real estate agents saying I needed to buy a house in two weeks. Only one worked with me.

SamuraiJack
    Participant

I bought a Kia Soul last year after looking into the Cube, Scion, Vue, Altima, Fusion, and Caliber. It has a lot of standard features that are optional and cost more on the Cube. Now I haven’t heard bad things about the Cube (other than the fuel leak recall (http://www.chicagotribune.com/classified/automotive/recalls/chi-alert-20092010-nissan-cube-20100726,0,7699391.story) , I just didn’t like the interior layout and feel at all. Plus all the options I wanted pushed the car way up in price (Not uncommon for Nissans).

I shopped at Jim Keim Ford off Hilliard-rome, Buckeye nissan, byers Kia, Hatfield Kia and Crown Kia. I was by far happier with Crown and Hatfield Kia than Byers Kia, and got good service from both Keim and Buckeye. I owned a Nissan Altima for 15 years and dealt exclusively with Nissan North who were spectacular. My interactions with Germain Nissan were very disappointing. Buckeye nissan has been nice to work with, but their service and car prices are higher.

If you go to Crown (Avery and 33) talk to Luke Flowers and say Jack sent you.

We also own a car from CarMax and have been exceptionally happy with it. Its a 2004 Trailblazer, and their Caremax warranty is spectacular. The only issues we have had are standard issues for that model and year.

I’ve also heard good things about Miracle Motors although I’ve never shopped there.

Feel free to PM if you have any questions.

SJ

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

The last time I went into Byers the Salesman played the “disinterested” role, which is obnoxious. I don’t want a pushy salesman obviously, but I hate the too-cool disinterested salesman even more.

somertimeoh
    Participant

I have nothing but good things to say about Hatfield Kia for my first solo car buying experience. I worked with the sales manager and he was patient with my indecisiveness and was able to help me work through my concerns without being pushy at all. I think I test drove 7 cars in one day, which was pretty exhausting, but I finally figure out what I wanted and am very happy with my purchase. Haven’t had to take her in for first service yet, but I’m confident the level of service will continue.

groundrules
    Participant

Also, short and sweet: Fuck Tanksy ‘Bait-n-Switch’ Toyota. In the face. hard.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The forum ‘Shopping’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: