Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Opinion: Abortion vs Birth Control

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Opinion: Abortion vs Birth Control

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

Note: I know there is an existing thread on Planned Parenthood, but it seemed like a better idea to start fresh.

It’s rare for me to do an opinion piece, and I’m in dangerous waters on this one –tackling one of America’s most explosive issues with a position guaranteed to anger everyone. Nevertheless, I feel this is is an important stance that has gotten lost in the debate. I think it is time to emancipate birth control from the abortion debate, politically speaking…

http://popculturephilosopher.com/opinion-emancipate-birth-control-from-abortion/

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

This seems to presuppose that the percentage of abortions performed by PP (or any abortion for that matter) is a moral issues and not a health and safety issue.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

This seems to presuppose that the percentage of abortions performed by PP (or any abortion for that matter) is a moral issues and not a health and safety issue.

No matter where you stand on the issue, I think it’s impossible to argue that abortion isn’t a morally controversial topic, meaning that there is continued significant disagreement on its morality. That’s just an objective observation.

Given that, it’s necessarily a morals issue. Let’s take as a given that there are cases where abortion has health and safety benefits, considered from the mother’s point of view. If you decide that an absolute prohibition on abortion always outweighs those benefits, that’s a choice from one moral standpoint. If you decide that the health and safety benefits make it a necessity for abortions to be available, then that’s a choice from a different moral standpoint.

If everyone agreed on the moral standing of abortion, then it wouldn’t be a morals issue, but that’s not the actual context it exists within (in this country, at this point in time).

Nancy H
    Participant

Abortion vs Birth Control is impossible to debate as the only thing they have in common is reproduction. They are two distinctly different things.

You said it best in the last paragraph of the piece linked in your original post – “I don’t oppose those with strong moral convictions on either side continuing to work for what they think is right, with regards to abortion, but preventative birth control shouldn’t be a hostage to the abortion debate.”

joev
    Participant

Excellent piece – I agree completely.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

Abortion vs Birth Control is impossible to debate as the only thing they have in common is reproduction. They are two distinctly different things.

One more thing they have in common is that if a woman chooses to have/use either, both are none of my business or anyone else’s.

WJT
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Nancy H wrote:</div>

One more thing they have in common is that if a woman chooses to have/use either, both are none of my business or anyone else’s.

Snarf I agree totally and completely.

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

Thanks for the comments, everyone. I was really nervous about posting this, so I’m glad to see everyone being respectful and thoughtful.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns with a “Curated Take Home Box Experience”

CLICK HERE TO PLACE YOUR ORDER