Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Open House - 5XNW Third Ave. Railroad Underpass & Road Improvements

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Open House – 5XNW Third Ave. Railroad Underpass & Road Improvements

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

5XNW
    Participant

All:

If you live, work or play in the 5XNW area – or are interested in seeing road/traffic & neighborhood improvements in Columbus in general this meeting is for you! The City of Columbus is holding an Open House in conjunction with the 5XNW Area Commission regarding street improvements & widening the Railroad underpass on Third Avenue in Sept. City Officials, Traffic Planners, etc. will be on-hand… see details below! We are proud of the zoning decisions, events, tree plantings, sidewalk installs, etc. that we have achieved in 5XNW! Various volunteers working in conjunction with our group and NRI have been working to have a development such as this for years! See details below – and see you there!

You are cordially invited to an

open house for the community on the West 3rd Avenue and Rail Street Improvements

September 2, 2015, 5 – 6:30 p.m.

881 West Third Avenue

(Southeast corner of 3rd Ave. and Edgehill Rd., same building as Ohio Health Urgent Care)

The city of Columbus is continuing its initiative to improve the public infrastructure on West 3rd Avenue between Olentangy River Road and Edgehill Road. This open house will feature updated plans for West 3rd (between Giant Eagle and City of Columbus fire station) and a new Rail Street, including:

• Resurfacing, pavement markings, traffic signals and signage

• Constructing a shared-use path, sidewalks, curbs and Americans with Disabilities Act-compliant curb ramps

• Adding street lights, street trees and landscaping

• Building new two-span railroad bridge

Design is expected to finish in December 2015. Construction is tentatively scheduled to begin in summer 2016 and subject to funding approval.

Representatives from the city of Columbus and design consultant EMH&T will be on-hand to answer questions in an open-house format; no formal presentation will be given. Updated plans illustrating roadway features and property impacts will be on display.

http://www.fifthbynorthwest.org
    http://www.columbus.gov

5XNW
    Participant

Additionally, attached is the PDF of the flyer regarding this Event/Open House regarding the Third Ave. Underpass & street improvements meeting – if you wish to print it and pass it along!

Thanks,
    5XNW
    [email protected]

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    welkstar
    welkstar
    Participant

Yes! About time something was done about this area. My girlfriend and I walk to work on 3rd Ave from the Short North to Grandview, and this is an incredibly treacherous spot. Very exciting, I will be at the meeting!

OneBagTravel
    Participant

I don’t think you’d find one person apposed to this. It’s long over due. Just the big question, who will pay for it?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Just the big question, who will pay for it?

Public infrastructure is generally paid for with taxpayer dollars to the benefit of an entire community.

So… everyone will pay for it?

GCrites80s
    Participant

The “who pays?” conundrum does actually come into play regarding projects involving private railroads. Railroads of course don’t want to spend money when they feel they don’t need to. A lot of rail grade separations and viaduct repair/improvement projects bounce back and forth between public and private funding or a mix before the project starts.

futureman
    Participant

Unless the bridge is structurally deficient, why should the railroad spend a dime on this project? It’s not their fault the city needs to widen the road.

I’d imagine it would be City of Columbus along with grants and maybe Grandview would pay for the improvements.

ohbr
    Participant

Unless the bridge is structurally deficient, why should the railroad spend a dime on this project? It’s not their fault the city needs to widen the road.

I could see where the railroad would be responsible for the span covering a widened road. I just don’t think the railroad would be responsible for anything beyond something that covers the span for aesthetics etc. I imagine there will ultimately be some sort of agreement. Like any process, it’s all about negations.

We could probably dig in to cost sharing for N Broadway, Hudson, etc to look at precedents. Because the city decided to tunnel under, did they pay for it all because it didn’t matter to the railroad if cars went over or under or did they split the cost with the railroad?

I don’t really care if it is all tax payer dollars or public and private as long as it’s done.

Zyro
    Participant

I will definitely be attending this. I ride my bike up and down 3rd Ave all the time as I commute to work and back. Can’t wait!

tonloc620
    Participant

I believe the construction is being funding through a TIF (tax increment financing) which means the incremental tax collected on the increased value of the land in a specific area is to be spent on infrastructure in the same defined area.

Zyro
    Participant

Bumping this as a reminder that this is happening today! I will be there!

welkstar
    welkstar
    Participant

I went to the open house last night, and was pleased with what was presented. My apologies- I should have taken photos of the plans, but I forgot.

The proposed plan addressed every issue I have with that portion of Third Ave. They’re making a large investment in pedestrian infrastructure, as well as adding bicycle paths which connect into the new roads which will cut through Grandview Yard. Plenty of street trees, etc. The representative from EMHT even mentioned how they had negotiated with the rail company to make the pedestrian pass-through under the railway bridge more pleasant (the rail company wanted it to be very tight and enclosed).

While the road may need to be closed or partially closed during parts of the construction, they mentioned the railway will remain open.

A nice surprise was the addition of a traffic signal at 5th & Edgehill.

Also of note- the small portion of Edgehill which cranks off to the west by the Urgent Care building will be closed off to the neighborhood. They’ll be removing the diagonal portion of Edgehill between 3rd & 2nd. That road will instead continue on straight from 3rd through Grandview Yard. (See image)

All in all, I was happy to see the proposed improvements. As someone who walks, cycles, and drives on 3rd Ave, these improvements for safety and general pleasantness are long coming and very much welcomed. Hopefully this will spur the addition of more sidewalks and street trees along the remainder of 3rd.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

ohbr
    Participant

Did they say what the timeline would be once construction starts next summer?

futureman
    Participant

These were posted on the Grandview Facebook group page (hopefully you can see them):

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: