Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Open Container Entertainment Districts

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Open Container Entertainment Districts

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 245 total)
  • Author

susank

ehill27 said:
    I think this is a bad idea. I’m not a fan of allowing folks to roam the neighborhood drinking.

+3

GCrites80s
    Participant

What about the fact that most of the rest of the world is open container? Or that much of the U.S. was open container until the 50s and 60s? Texas was open container until what, the ’90s? I’m not necessarily advocating it, but why can they handle it and we can’t? Are we too nuts, angry and aggressive?

susank

I really can’t address GCrites80s question so I won’t.

Personally I have seen a lot of binge drinking going on in the SN lately and it seems to be getting worse. Maybe people just see it as a way to let loose, but they aren’t being responsible and unfortunately too many people are looking the other way. Those drinkers tend to do stupid things which put themselves and other people & property at risk. Maybe open container would be great for those profiting off of alcohol sales, but in general I see it as having far more negatives than positives in the quality of life found in those areas.

myliftkk
    Participant

susank said:
    +3

+4

buckette13

GCrites80s said:
    What about the fact that most of the rest of the world is open container? Or that much of the U.S. was open container until the 50s and 60s? Texas was open container until what, the ’90s? I’m not necessarily advocating it, but why can they handle it and we can’t? Are we too nuts, angry and aggressive?

I can’t speak for all of Europe but drinking is also a big problem across the pond. I have seen a lot of issues when I stayed in Ireland, the UK, and visited Eastern Europe and Russia where open container is the norm. As SusanK mentions above, binge drinking may be a problem in the SN, but it is also a big problem in the UK. It is a hot political topic which some are trying to curb by increasing the drinking age, increasing alcohol cost, establishing state stores and changing pub hours. Basically they are looking somewhat at the US for answers.

We all have visions of sipping champagne on the Champs-Élysées but the broader reality is that unsupervised alcohol consumption has many darker connotations.

Jared
    Jared
    Participant

Beale Street in Memphis has open container and it is great experience. I especially like walking up to a bar window and ordering a draught without going inside. I don’t remember if businesses allow outside beer to be brought in, but nonetheless it adds to the festive atmosphere.

buckette13

nm

Jared
    Jared
    Participant

buckette13 said:
    @jared

Since they cut the Ash trees down the neighborhood is looking bleaker, imho.

I agree. I’ll edit my comments and save them for another thread, but I will say that I’m glad to be leaving Grandview ave!

hungrywoolf
    Participant

Walker said:
    I don’t think you *need* it either. But it could make Gallery Hop more enjoyable for some people if you could hop from exhibition to exhibition with a glass of wine in hand.

If the limit of the entertainment district is a 1/2 mile square area I don’t think it would work well for gallery hop. The Gallery Hop area (Cap to 5th ave) is about a mile in length. I think it would be more confusing to say to people, this half of the area you can drink in the street and once you cross a line half way you can’t drink in the street anymore.

drew
    Participant

Walker said:
    If you live anywhere near an Entertainment District (officially or unofficially designated as such), and don’t want to live near an Entertainment District, then you shouldn’t live near an Entertainment District. Because if you do live near one, you’re likely to get the good aspects (you live close to fun places!) along with the bad aspects (you live close to fun places!).

This is one of the most astoundingly poorly reasoned statements I’ve ever heard come from you, Walker.

Every part of town has its unique characteristics. Are you really suggesting that just because one neighborhood might have more of an entertainment focus that it should therefore be open to anything that could fall under the ‘entertainment’ category?

I hope you’ve already realized that that’s absurd.

leftovers

Reminds me a little of this:

Police Suggest that People Move from Crime-ridden Areas

Regardless the ‘open container district’ is just an idea at the moment and one that really needs thought out before any kind of implementation or vote.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

drew said:
    Are you really suggesting that just because one neighborhood might have more of an entertainment focus that it should therefore be open to anything that could fall under the ‘entertainment’ category?

Nope, that’s not what I’m suggesting.

drew said:
    I hope you’ve already realized that that’s absurd.

Yes, what you just said was absurd.

drew
    Participant

leftovers said:
    Reminds me a little of this:

Police Suggest that People Move from Crime-ridden Areas

Yeah, it’s like:

drew
    Participant

Walker said:
    Nope, that’s not what I’m suggesting.

Well… what are you suggesting?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

drew said:
    Well… what are you suggesting?

That specific message that you quoted wasn’t suggesting anything.

Just pointing out that it’s difficult to have your cake and eat it too.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 245 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.