Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Open Container Entertainment Districts

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Open Container Entertainment Districts

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 245 total)
  • Author

RhondaH

I live in IV and I have been thinking about this. If you live anywhere near an ‘entertainment district’ won’t you be asking for more problems? I have already had issues with drunk drivers hitting cars parked on my block and drunk people peeing in my alley as they filter in from the SN. They made these laws to cut down on drunk drivers and public intoxication and I would hate to see that get worse. Currently there is at least a semblance of control of who is imbibing, how much and where.

There have been more and more drunks roaming around the SN as it is, sometimes with catastrophic consequences.

Woman Killed in Hit-Skip on Neil Avenue in Victorian Village

I would like to think we are all adult mature drinkers, but I tend to believe the guy puking in front of Surly Girl would end up puking on my porch.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

If you live anywhere near an Entertainment District (officially or unofficially designated as such), and don’t want to live near an Entertainment District, then you shouldn’t live near an Entertainment District. Because if you do live near one, you’re likely to get the good aspects (you live close to fun places!) along with the bad aspects (you live close to fun places!).

RhondaH

I am talking about passing the laws to make it an ‘entertainment district’ in the new ‘open container’ sense. That hopefully would come down to a vote. I don’t think you need to be able to carry around an open beer (or two, or three) on the street to have fun in an entertainment district. They already have places set aside to imbibe.

leftovers

Personally, I think the novelty would wear off and the boutiques would have problems with people trying to bring drinks inside or chugging them at the door. I liked when they had it on Lane Ave, but it was a hot box mess for store owners.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

RhondaH said:
    I don’t think you need to be able to carry around an open beer (or two, or three) on the street to have fun in an entertainment district.

I don’t think you *need* it either. But it could make Gallery Hop more enjoyable for some people if you could hop from exhibition to exhibition with a glass of wine in hand.

RhondaH

Walker said:
    I don’t think you *need* it either. But it could make Gallery Hop more enjoyable for some people if you could hop from exhibition to exhibition with a glass of wine in hand.

If you want to do that then just get the appropriate permits for Gallery Hop like they do for the Park St and Italian Festivals. What that does is help solve the accountability and control issues.

jackoh
    Participant

Why should being able to enjoy a glass of wine, a beer, or a cocktail in a public thoroughfare be restricted to an “entertainment district”?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

RhondaH said:
    If you want to do that then just get the appropriate permits for Gallery Hop like they do for the Park St and Italian Festivals. What that does is help solve the accountability and control issues.

It also limits it to one night per month.

leftovers

Just noticed the Cycle Tavern has a Living Social 50% off deal (like Groupon) for a two hour rental only costing $160 to $190 (fri sat) total. The deal runs for the next 4 days, must use by Nov 2, 2013. Usually these deals get repeated so keep your eyes out for more.

https://www.livingsocial.com/cities/19-columbus/deals/721720-two-hour-rental-for-a-bike-powered-pub-crawl?

Not bad, only issue is the limited range and currently no strip clubs in the SN for my friend’s bachelor party. ;)

The Cycle Tavern lets you bring your own juice to drink and share while pedaling.

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

It’s open container every day already in the alley behind my apt. :P

I would be more for open container during special events (Gallery Hop) rather than all the time. Maybe even in Goodale Park. It would be nice to bring a bottle of wine or a few craft beers to a picnic. Cycle tavern could be a an exception to the rule since it would be part of their business model. Whether one lives near the Short North or not, I still do not think it’s a good idea to allow people to carry beers around anytime they want. Rules are in place for a reason. (I do approve of bringing open container and tailgating back to Lane but that is a different situation) Not everyone is a mature drinker and the last thing we need is a hoard of drunk college kids carrying around glass bottles and thinking it’s funny to toss them at cars or smash on the streets.

ehill27
    Participant

I think this is a bad idea. I’m fine with the Cycle Tavern where folks will be supervised, but not a fan of allowing folks to roam the neighborhood drinking.

billbix

I would also be against open container for the reasons mentioned. I wouldn’t mind having it for special occasions with supervision but there are already remedies for those.

heresthecasey
    Participant

ehill27 said:
    I think this is a bad idea. I’m fine with the Cycle Tavern where folks will be supervised, but not a fan of allowing folks to roam the neighborhood drinking.

+1

mrpoppinzs

jpizzow said:
    Cycle tavern could be a an exception to the rule since it would be part of their business model.

The odd part about the article is that an open container district has no bearing on the Cycle Tavern’s ability to have people drink onboard. As it is now they would need special legislation by the city or have to meet the standards set forth for a charter vehicle such as a limo to allow drinking on board.

The Cycle Tavern is in a weird place in Ohio Laws as it is a ‘human powered 4 wheel device’ (ie Quadricycle). To be a bicycle a human powered vehicle is limited to a maximum of 3 wheels per Ohio Code.

The licensing and street definition have yet to be figured out in Ohio Courts.

Ohio revised Code section 4511.01

4511.01(A) “Vehicle” means every device, including a motorized bicycle, in, upon, or by which any person or property may be transported or drawn upon a highway, except that “vehicle” does not include any motorized wheelchair, any electric personal assistive mobility device, any device that is moved by power collected from overhead electric trolley wires or that is used exclusively upon stationary rails or tracks, or any device, other than a bicycle, that is moved by human power.

4511.01(G) “Bicycle” means every device, other than a tricycle designed solely for use as a play vehicle by a child, propelled solely by human power upon which any person may ride having two tandem wheels, or one wheel in the front and two wheels in the rear, or two wheels in the front and one wheel in the rear, any of which is more than fourteen inches in diameter.

Here is some info on a quadricycle case going before the courts in Cleveland.

http://www.cleveland.com/roadrant/index.ssf/2012/11/lakewood_tickets_rider_of_four.html

http://www.cleveland.com/lakewood/index.ssf/2013/04/lakewood_public_safety_committ_6.html

bucki12

ehill27 said:

+2 No way would open container be a good idea.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 245 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.