Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Open Container Entertainment Districts

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Open Container Entertainment Districts

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 245 total)
  • Author
    King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

I think the fact that you can now drink on the bicycle bars is probably the coolest part of this.

dalias
    dalias
    Participant

Passed House and Senate, headed to Kasich’s desk (he will sign). Takes effect immediately. The two big changes are that the bike bars will be legalized for open container everywhere .

So they can drink on those things everywhere in the city, even outside of entertainment zones?

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Josh Lapp wrote:</div>
    Passed House and Senate, headed to Kasich’s desk (he will sign). Takes effect immediately. The two big changes are that the bike bars will be legalized for open container everywhere .

So they can drink on those things everywhere in the city, even outside of entertainment zones?

That was the way I read it. Basically the law was changed to treat the bike taverns like limousines.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Serious question… what do people think of the idea of having open container in the Gay Street area? Specifically, the blocks from Front to Fourth. One of the biggest requests we get from attendees at the Moonlight Market is for us to close the street down and add beer trucks and let people drink in the streets, but the cost and coordination is too much, and it would compete directly with alcohol sales at the restaurants.

If open container were allowed, you could grab a drink from Tip Top or Due Amici or J. Gumbos or anywhere else that sells beer, wine or cocktails and stroll the Moonlight Market (or any other type of event) without the hassle of having to coordinate something like that.

Thoughts?

Mike88
    Participant

Serious question… what do people think of the idea of having open container in the Gay Street area? Specifically, the blocks from Front to Fourth. One of the biggest requests we get from attendees at the Moonlight Market is for us to close the street down and add beer trucks and let people drink in the streets, but the cost and coordination is too much, and it would compete directly with alcohol sales at the restaurants.

If open container were allowed, you could grab a drink from Tip Top or Due Amici or J. Gumbos or anywhere else that sells beer, wine or cocktails and stroll the Moonlight Market (or any other type of event) without the hassle of having to coordinate something like that.

Thoughts?

I think it would be nice but to be honest I’d place Gay about 4th on my list of places after Brewery, Arena District and Short North. I would love to see a couple more bars down Gay and if open container could allow them outdoor seeting without special fencing that would be great. But I’d rather see it in the Short North before I see it down Gay.

That said those cool Alleyways off Gay would be a real slick place to hop around with a beer or two. I know there are some empty store fronts that to me just beg for more hole in the wall bars.

EDIT: This actually got me thinking about that alley way (lynn and pearl) and how it could be an even better destination. I love the murals and art back there and if it were up to me I’d blow that up and have it cover as many of those walls as possible. That and string some lights between the buildings over head and you have a very inviting space on your hands. Granted there need to be some more business in the afore mentioned empty store fronts but I think do those two other things and you could get some increased foot traffic. Just a thought.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

I think it would be nice but to be honest I’d place Gay about 4th on my list of places after Brewery, Arena District and Short North.

I’d be about the same. I wouldn’t be disappointed if they chose it, and would probably enjoy it, but I think other places could use it more and would be more fun.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

But I’d rather see it in the Short North before I see it down Gay.

It’s highly unlikely to happen in the Short North. The SNA has been speaking strongly against the idea for months:

https://www.columbusunderground.com/open-container-entertainment-districts-could-soon-come-to-ohio-jb1

That said those cool Alleyways off Gay would be a real slick place to hop around with a beer or two. I know there are some empty store fronts that to me just beg for more hole in the wall bars.

+1 to including Ringside, Oliver’s and The Alley Bar in the mix. There’s honestly not a ton of empty storefronts in the area, but it doesn’t seem out of the question to have beer/wine permits added to places like El Arepazo and The Carvery and have them staying open later. ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

EDIT: This actually got me thinking about that alley way (lynn and pearl) and how it could be an even better destination. I love the murals and art back there and if it were up to me I’d blow that up and have it cover as many of those walls as possible. That and string some lights between the buildings over head and you have a very inviting space on your hands. Granted there need to be some more business in the afore mentioned empty store fronts but I think do those two other things and you could get some increased foot traffic. Just a thought.

That’s actually the long-term plan for the alley, but it’s been on hold until the Scientology building sells (since the proposed renovations there are a key element of the project):

https://www.columbusunderground.com/pearl-alley-facelift-proposed-for-2013

mrsgeedeck
    Participant

From my remembrance of Independents Day held on Gay St. a few years back, I did enjoy being able to walk around that area with a beer. If this was something that was an established pattern I think that it would definitely help attract more traffic to the area, and maybe promote new retail development.

I know other people have put forth Park St. as an area, but I feel like the bars at Park St. are already so closely bunched together the benefit of open container is lost. As a SN resident I’m very NIMBY about things because I know the spill over in the neighborhoods during festivals (which I accept for the most part) and I’d rather not the be the MO of the neighborhood 24/7.

Mike88
    Participant

It’s highly unlikely to happen in the Short North. The SNA has been speaking strongly against the idea for months:

Oh I know, which I think is actually very short sighted but I would still if given a preference put SN ahead of Gay in my pecking order.

+1 to including Ringside, Oliver’s and The Alley Bar in the mix. There’s honestly not a ton of empty storefronts in the area, but it doesn’t seem out of the question to have beer/wine permits added to places like El Arepazo and The Carvery and have them staying open later. ;)

This last part is key, you’re right when I street viewed it I only found a couple old dingy fronts down lynn that could use a fix up/tenant. I’m sure my perception is skewed since I only visit after business hours when it seems like lots of places have closed up shop.

That’s actually the long-term plan for the alley, but it’s been on hold until the Scientology building sells (since the proposed renovations there are a key element of the project):

I’m glad to see I’m not the only one thinking this then! Haha Though I hope they can revisit this again soon, both implementation and design wise. I think if done right that alley could be one of the coolest “secret” spots on in the city.

Not that Tom
    Not that Tom
    Participant

I really don’t know which parts of town are most realistic to have this entertainment district. The city must approve the district, then apply to the state for approval. Police have to enforce the perimeter of the districts, so they’d have a strong say in the city’s decision, and the district can only be a half square mile.

Short North
    – businesses don’t want it

Brewery District / German Village
    – bars are too spread out; the geography just doesn’t seem to be laid out for a district to be easily encompassed

-Arena (Nationwide Blvd) / Park St
    -not enough bars along Nationwide, police wouldn’t want to enforce the Park Street rowdies

Gay St
    -not enough bars

I myself would prefer a district encompassing Gay St (and maybe around 4th street either up to Wolf’s Ridge or down to 16 Bit, in my dreams). that would hopefully entice a more concentrated downtown nightlife scene to that area on the weekends.

My best guess would be Arena getting the first district though. And maybe Easton or Polaris want one. I don’t go up there, so not sure if they have a good area that would fit around their bars.

Gus W
    Gus W
    Participant

Who are they waiting on to buy it? Anyone?

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Who are they waiting on to buy it? Anyone?

Last I heard there is a buyer lined up. They’re waiting on the owner (Scientology) to sell. Which has taken years and is still not happening.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Gay St
    -not enough bars

Today? Maybe not. Tomorrow? Maybe. I guess I’m thinking of this more aspirationally.

Currently there are the following in the vicinity:
    1. Due Amici
    2. Tip Top
    3. Plantain Cafe
    4. Mitchell’s Steakhouse (around the corner)
    5. Latitude 41
    6. J. Gumbo’s
    7. Cafe Napolitana
    8. The Alley Bar
    9. Oliver’s
    10. Ringside Cafe
    11. The Bar at the Residence Inn Hotel

There are restaurants with no beer/wine/liquor permits that could add them:
    1. El Arepazo
    2. Nosh Columbus (does retail beer/wine, but no current on-site license)
    3. The Carvery
    4. Si Senor (around the corner)

There are potential restaurant/bar addition spaces in the area:
    1. The Madison’s Building (beginning renovations)
    2. New retail coming to 1 East Gay (former Sugardaddy’s)
    3. New retail coming to High & Gay (Edwards Building)
    4. Large Open Restaurant Space in Residence Inn hotel
    5. Basement of building under The Vault (old day care space)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

This last part is key, you’re right when I street viewed it I only found a couple old dingy fronts down lynn that could use a fix up/tenant. I’m sure my perception is skewed since I only visit after business hours when it seems like lots of places have closed up shop.

Yeah, most of what’s on Lynn between Third and Pearl are rear-entrances to buildings and businesses. There’s Jack’s Diner and Si Senor back there, but they’re lunch-only spots.

The former Day Care space (Gay Street entrance next to J. Gumbo’s and underground space accessible from Pearl Alley) is one of the very few vacant spaces in that area (not counting High Street). And from what I hear it’s a pretty sweet underground spot that might make a cool bar or entertainment business. ;)

Viewing 15 posts - 226 through 240 (of 245 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.