Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Open Container Entertainment Districts

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Open Container Entertainment Districts

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 245 total)
  • Author
    Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

Dem leader propses exemption to open container law

Quote:
    The Senate minority leader wants to give Ohio cities the ability to bypass state open container law in designated entertainment districts.

Sen. Eric Kearney, D-Cincinnati, introduced a bill this week that allows cities with a population of more than 50,000 to create an entertainment district of no more than a half-mile square where people could carry open alcoholic beverages on streets or sidewalks….

Under the bill, Columbus would be allowed to establish three entertainment districts. Cities with populations of 150,000 to 300,000 could have two, and those under 150,000 could do one.

READ MORE

I love the idea. I’d pick SN/Goodale, Park Street/Arena, and River South or Gay Street. One of my favorite things to do in European cities is to grab a bottle of wine and some snacks and head to the park.

mrpoppinzs

I like the idea a lot though places like parks already have rules against open containers.

I wonder if restaurants be for or against this? People might be buying a beer and taking it to go to wander around, or they may just be bringing their own to the area. What are the rules concerning byob to an outdoor patio of a business?

Dust

365 days of Comfest! Would like to see this idea spread out to a larger mix of Columbus residents. ( Maybe Linden)

SSBucks
    Participant

Bring back open container on Lane Ave!

ricospaz
    Participant

SSBucks said:

+10000000

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

SSBucks said:

problem solved

Anonymous
    Inactive
    Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

0Angle said:
    We would need public restrooms.

A little bum squat never hurt anybody.

ricospaz
    Participant

vestanpance said:

problem solved

I still remember the cop that told me to pour out my double-deuce right after that nasty Holbrook took away my beloved drinking on Lane.

ExileOn6thSt
    Participant

Clintonville should become an open container entertainment district.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

I wonder if this means that the Cycle Tavern would allow for onboard drinking as long as you stay within the entertainment district?

Cycle Tavern Launches Bar-Hopping Tours Powered by 16-Passenger Bike

jbcmh81
    Participant

I guess I don’t get this. What would making drinking on the street okay in one of these districts but not okay outside of them? Would make more sense just to allow open container everywhere outside of maybe residential or school zones.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

jbcmh81 said:
    I guess I don’t get this. What would making drinking on the street okay in one of these districts but not okay outside of them? Would make more sense just to allow open container everywhere outside of maybe residential or school zones.

I guest I kind of see it as a baby step to get closer to open container laws everywhere.

jbcmh81
    Participant

Walker said:
    I guest I kind of see it as a baby step to get closer to open container laws everywhere.

True, just stating it seems so arbitrary. You can drink on one side of the street, but not the other because it may be outside of the district.

News
    Participant

Cycle Tavern Supports the Creation of Entertainment Districts
    Published on July 26, 2013 11:40 am
    By: Walker

The the two years they’ve been in business, Cycle Tavern has turned plenty of heads with its unique bicycle-built-for-sixteen vehicle. Touring guests are treated to an open-air adventure where they pedal from bar to bar throughout Downtown and The Short North and enjoy drinks while letting someone else do the actual driving.

So what could be better than a bar-hopping bike tour? According to Cycle Tavern owner Dusty Wymer, the allowance of onboard drinking would answer the number one question he gets asked about how his business works. Currently, Ohio open container laws prohibit passengers from imbibing en route, but legislation proposed earlier this year could potentially change that.

READ MORE: https://www.columbusunderground.com/cycle-tavern-rides-to-success-supports-the-creation-of-entertainment-districts

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 245 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION