Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Hubbard Grill - Old Rosendales/Details space in Short North

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Hubbard Grill – Old Rosendales/Details space in Short North

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 206 total)
  • Author

chrisat4th

I went on NYE and liked it – the staff all seemed very excited about the place, and the food was pretty good. I got a burger and my gal pal got the BLT and both were tasty – sandwiches were about 10 each, beers were 4-5, and cocktails were in the 8-11 range. I wan’t excited about the fries, but they were fine, and I definitely plan to go back!

DCist

Snarf wrote >>
    Makers Mark and Ginger Ale for $8 is no where near decently priced.

I meant the rest of it was decently priced, sorry I wasnt clear.

Pablo
    Participant

Another +1 for the sign. You can almost see it from 5th Ave.!

zp945
    Participant

DCist wrote >>

Snarf wrote >>

It’s priced accordingly, if you pay 12k+ in rent. That’s a really big space and it looks like they spent money to renovate it. The sad reality is as the neighborhood gets more high profile spots, the prices rise too. I plan to check it out in the next week or so. I wish them success and hope they can deliver on the what looks like a quality, mid range meal.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

AmyArt21 wrote >>
    I had dinner with friends there last Thursday night…

Keep in mind, the official grand opening is THIS Friday, Jan 7th:

Hubbard Grille Opens in The Short North

Everything prior is soft opening to work out the kinks.

Just sayin. ;)

Bear
    Participant

JimL2 wrote >>
    I was surprised that they’d turned it off by 6am, though. I was kind of hoping maybe they’d leave it on all the time, and during the times they were open maybe the phrase “BAR & GRILLE” could blink. Maybe an animated martini glass with an olive in it or something.

This.

DCist

zp945 wrote >>

DCist wrote >>

Snarf wrote >>

It’s priced accordingly, if you pay 12k+ in rent. That’s a really big space and it looks like they spent money to renovate it. The sad reality is as the neighborhood gets more high profile spots, the prices rise too. I plan to check it out in the next week or so. I wish them success and hope they can deliver on the what looks like a quality, mid range meal.

I completely agree, and I will say that it was poured fairly heavy so I am not complaining. I was just noting that the price did go up from the friends & family to the public opening.

I will definitely be back, I like Mezzo and the tomato soup at HG was really good! I am also interested to try out the tap tables, apparently you pay for 32 oz at a time (per person) and can reload. AND they have little personal TVs in the tables.

berdawn

AmyArt21 wrote >>
    This might sound silly, but the ladies’ restroom was super nice. I like the stalls that go almost down to the floor, as well as the music in the restroom so you don’t really have to listen to anyone else to their business, haha.

that doesn’t sound silly to me at all. say what you will about Cameron Mitchell but his restrooms have set a good standard. I am thrilled to have toiletries in the toilet.

aaminian
    Participant

Wife and I ate here on Saturday night. The space looked great but the food was painfully mediocre. My Hub Burger was as average as it gets, and Dana’s fried chicken was nicely cooked but completely lacking in any kind of seasoning. The music was pretty awful as well (I think two Dave Matthews tracks played while we were there).

Overall, I’d say this place is suffering from a serious identity crisis. It looks like a hip, urban eatery, but the food, crowd, and music scream of upscale Applebees. I hope they get it figured out.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

Stopped in with a friend last week and while what I got was tasty and well executed (shrimp and grits app and a small cornbread) I thought it was just a touch spendy for the very small amount of food. The menu doesn’t seem groundbreaking, but that’s how it goes I suppose.

That said I think that if they keep the level of execution consistently enough, they’ll do well I think. I’ll probably not make it back often as there are other places in that price range close by that I’m in love with.

The space is really nice and it seemed pretty comfortable when I was there. I didn’t notice the music so at least it wasn’t annoying (DMB definitely would have annoyed me).

AmyArt21 wrote >>
    This might sound silly, but the ladies’ restroom was super nice. I like the stalls that go almost down to the floor, as well as the music in the restroom so you don’t really have to listen to anyone else to their business, haha.

I can’t speak to the ladies washroom, but the men’s is nice. On the other hand I don’t think it was significantly changed from when it was Details.

JonMyers
    Participant

Alright, I figured out what NOT to order. Johnnie Black on the rocks here is about 13 bucks. I’ll stick with the wine and beer.

You do have to admit – the location is amazing – and the decor very nice, tony and upscale. Should be a nice addition to the Hubbard/N High Street corner in the SN! Hope they clean up with all the investment and love the sign too – very VINTAGE!

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Checked this out last night with JimSweeney. The space is beautiful yet comfortable. I dig that. The service was very friendly if not a bit slow at times for the amount of people there. Of course we were kinda indecisive, so I can’t totally blame them. :) I had the Hub burger. It was juicy and good…nothing special though really. Rossi burger still has it beat by a mile, but there was nothing at all bad about it. Jim got some kinda BLT with pork belly and bacon. I had a momentary lapse of brain power and forgot to taste it. Duh. I didn’t go for a cocktail as their cocktail list didn’t really speak to me, and I didn’t want to end up paying what seems to be their inflated prices for booze. I did have a glass of malbec though, and the pour was pretty generous, so I dug that. I’d go back to try a couple more things perhaps. But for that general location and atmosphere, the Rossi still wins for me.

JoeMitchell

Finally had a chance to try the burger, I thought it was on par with Rigsbys/Rossi. I am more of a see ball get ball food eater however so subtle culinary nuances are beyond my mental capacity.

elraptor

Loved the balcony, but the cost of that ambiance – $7+ an avg mixed drink – is just too high. Want to like this place but just isn’t worth the cost yet. Maybe I’ll give it another chance after a few months.

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 206 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns with a “Curated Take Home Box Experience”

CLICK HERE TO PLACE YOUR ORDER