Our City Online

Messageboard - Dining

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Old RJ Snapper's = Level Dining Lounge

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Dining Old RJ Snapper’s = Level Dining Lounge

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)
  • Author

lisathewaitress
    Participant

1. it takes a long time to get a liquor license. I don’t see anything wrong with applying for one while you are still employed by someone else. You can apply for one and then sell it for a markup, and not even own anything.

2. The article feels a little one-sided; Previn has worked with RGB since they opened Havana. It pretty much follows reason that he would at one point open his own bar. Believe it or not, some of us don’t want to serve/bartend/manage forever. I am pretty sure that anyone who employs Mr. Waitress & I knows that we want to open a restaurant one day. A smart business owner COULD say “yeah, they worked for me; I taught them everything they know, now it’s time for them to do it on their own.”

the forged stationary to the bank issue is the only one that sticks out in my mind. Straight up non-compete covenants usually aren’t enforceable, but that is straying into new territory.

Lisa Craig Morton
    Participant

If you take the financial records of a privately held company and also take the company’s letterhead and present the info to a bank as if it were your own in order to obtain financing, that is illegal. RL and partners have every right to pursue the offenders in court.

Lisa Craig Morton wrote >>
    If you take the financial records of a privately held company and also take the company’s letterhead and present the info to a bank as if it were your own in order to obtain financing, that is illegal. RL and partners have every right to pursue the offenders in court.

On the other hand, IF that is what really happened, it is actually criminal…so I have some doubts.

JonMyers
    Participant

Looking out my window it looks like this project is still moving forward.

Look, if they actually used company letterhead to write a letter to the bank, I am sure they did not identify themselves as owners of RGB, or sign RGB officer names on the letter to qualify for their financing. Let’s be realistic now. If this were the case, wouldn’t the bank be giving the loan to Raj and not Brent? Or is Brent also dressing in Raj making up parading himself through downtown getting financed with different lenders. Ridiculous!! Everyone calm down and let’s enjoy the beautiful and newest establishment to hit the Short North!! I cannot wait. Good luck guys!!

ShimmyKnocker wrote >>
    Look, if they actually used company letterhead to write a letter to the bank

Actually, I believe the accusation was that they forged company letterhead to write a letter to the bank.

I’m not in a position to comment on the truth of the allegation, but will simply say that if it is true, this goes way beyond your typical covenant not to compete violation.

Tenzo
    Participant

Walker wrote >>
    Some details about the aforementioned controversy in TOP:
    http://www.theotherpaper.com/articles/2009/05/21/front/doc4a1557549bc79260722235.txt

It should be pointed out that there are some NSFW ads next to this article.

Anyway. having worked in the biz, this is how it works on both sides.
    A Chef out of school works hard to work at some of the top names. He gets crap money and hours (often making less than minimum wage and doing 17 hour shifts) to learn the trade and the trade secrets. It’s how he hones his skills and learns. Then when he feels he has learned enough, he stars in a place.

Out of respect you try not to rip off too many dishes.

In New York, Philly and Chicago (the places I have followed the dining scene, the food reviewers say “Stevie Bob, former sous chef from Bobbie Flay’s xxxx showcases his version of xxx”. In Chicago I have lost count of the number of Chef’s who have left Charlie Trotter’s to open their own place. It’s the way of the business.
    Although I never interviewed at Trotter’s; the word got around that he only hired people who wanted to eventually open their own place. He felt that desire to excel gave him the best employees. Then when the chef left, he was often at the opening of the new place.

That was class and made him an Icon in the food business. People would eat at Sid’s who trained at Trotters. If they had a good meal it would encourage them to go to Trotter’s place.

That’s good business and is a great PR benefit to the nurturing place.

An example of the opposite is Bruce Sherman’s North Pond. Great place and an inspired chef. But when he brings people on he purposely does not cross train. The guy on the grill isn’t trained or knowledgeable about the guy making cold dishes. Bruce’s idea is that way they can’t steal enough to take his secrets. So, Bruce’s turnover is over 200% per year or he flips a cook every month. People start there fresh out of culinary school, but his attitude gets them to move on to a nurturing environment as fast as they can.

OK maybe I strayed from the subject. Point was, this is how the industry works. And a good successful manager is supportive of his employee’s aspirations. Enough that they will write letters on their own letterhead recommending people to both the bank and others.

Tenzo
    Participant

If you want an example of taking too much from the place you worked at; go to Zingerman’s in Ann Arbor. Then take a look at Katzingers.

It was determined that Katzinger’s was sufficiantly far away from Zingerman’s to do any damage to their business. But it’s a clear cloning.

Brent

Tenzo wrote >>
    If you want an example of taking too much from the place you worked at; go to Zingerman’s in Ann Arbor. Then take a look at Katzingers.
    It was determined that Katzinger’s was sufficiantly far away from Zingerman’s to do any damage to their business. But it’s a clear cloning.

And a very poor fascimile to boot.

I have no reasonable information to comment on possibly litigious activities, but just on the face of it and from my pov :

I hate it when people open a business with the intention of taking business from someone else, even when they don’t come from inside. I have more respect across the board for people who enter business with the intention of baking a new pie, not grabbing pieces of someone else’s.

A.

JonMyers
    Participant

I dunno, I don’t mind competition and competition means capturing market share or taking customers. If you better serve the market and build a better business I have no problem with the market responding favorably. That tension is better for consumers and in this case, better for the Short North. Inevitably though, there are times when people misread the market, have a market POV that is 10 years outta touch and think they’re better serving the market and are in fact not even building a product that’s presently relevant.

What I don’t like is theft of intellectual property and business tactics that involve disparaging competitors they’re trying to oust and take market share from.

I have no idea if the people cobbling together Level stole IP and honestly, I’m sick and tired of local businesses battling out unfinished business and litigious matters in the local press. Let a court decide, not the Alive or CU.

Regarding disparaging the competition. When I see that happening I think two things – what are you hiding and why are you even bothering instead of putting that energy into launching your business? It creates an unnecessary, negative energy that clouds the business from the start.

Well, if the conversation is steering towards stealing business ideas, then maybe we should bring up the fact that RGB’s flagship Union/Union Cafe concept was taken from a gay bar in Chicago known as Side Track. Just sayin’!

blammo
    Participant

ShimmyKnocker wrote >>
    Well, if the conversation is steering towards stealing business ideas, then maybe we should bring up the fact that RGB’s flagship Union/Union Cafe concept was taken from a gay bar in Chicago known as Side Track. Just sayin’!

…and business at Side Track has been down ever since. Ruthless tactics!

Tenzo
    Participant

And SideTrack[/url] was taken from Berlin.

Although Berlin will always be Berlin. Sidetrack was an improved model but there is just something about an original.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 59 total)

The forum ‘Dining’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: