Our City Online

Messageboard - Everyday Chit Chat

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Old Photos or renderings of Columbus

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Everyday Chit Chat Old Photos or renderings of Columbus

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author

RhondaH

That looks like a horrible mess.

goldenidea
    Participant

Arial of construction of Third Street Viaduct circa 1961:
    Larger: http://i.imgur.com/uQUo0cT.png

Very cool photo Walker; thanks for posting it.

There are a lot of viewable buildings on it that aren’t around anymore. You can see the old North Market Quonset hut, Mellman’s corner, the White Cross hospital, the whole Union Station and the buildings north of it (I believe the actual Station frontage on High is covered by the High Street label on the photo).

Hubbard elementary and Leafy Dale are also viewable and I believe another higher-rise between them that’s not around anymore.

There are also many more rail lines than exist today. I know some old-timers from the St Clair/E.2nd Ave area (east Milo-Grogan) that told me when they were kids they used to routinely walk along all of those rail lines to get downtown. Now I can see how they did that. That must have been an interesting walk!

JackieC
    Participant

A la /r/columbus. Very good resolution pic of somewhere on high st. At least I hope it’s High St, I cannot picture where this would be.

View post on imgur.com

mrpoppinzs

@JackieC

Sadly the only building I recognize (because it is one of the few left standing) is the Goodman Brothers Jewelers at 101 South High St. The electric arches were removed in 1911.

http://goo.gl/maps/sxs6J

here is a night shot of the same scene:

leftovers

It is pretty cool to think how novel those electric lights were in 1910. Consider how hard it was to get the modern arches working. The night shot is pretty amazing.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

groundrules
    Participant

Has this already been linked? good times:

https://www.facebook.com/VintageColumbus

Jed
    Jed

I was riding around today downtown and decided to check out the Scioto River since the Main St dam removal. I was surprised to see these very clear lines of stone in the receding waters. Google searching for historical photos of the area brought me here so I figured I’d put them side by side.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Wow! Very cool!

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Yea, that’s a great find. It’s amazing how close they are to the river.

GCrites80s
    Participant

The old pic looks like a great place to cook boiled meats and gruel.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)

The forum ‘Everyday Chit Chat’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: