Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Ohio's Zombie Nativity Scene goes Viral

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Ohio's Zombie Nativity Scene goes Viral

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author

Posole
    Participant

Has anyone seen the viral story about the guy here in Ohio who put up a zombie nativity scene? He’s now being fined $500 per day, even though neither he nor anyone one else in his neighborhood was fined for similar displays just a few weeks ago during Halloween season.

Zombie Nativity Scene in Ohio Draws $500 Fine as Protesters Descend

Zombie Nativity

vestanpance
    vestanpance
    Participant

Didn’t he/someone do this last year also?

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

The zombie thing jumped the shark about 5 years ago.

Ned23
    Participant

The article says this is the second year in a row. Only this year he’s being fined.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

That’s bullshit he’s being fined. People only champion religious freedom when it’s their own brand.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

He’s now being fined $500 per day…

I smell a GoFundMe campaign cooking…

WJT
    Participant

It would be great if he could prove that he was denied a permit due to some bulls*it reason(religious discrimination, etc.) and could sue the township.

Given the declining membership, you could say the same thing about organized religion.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

When The Walking Dead started?

spfld_expat
    spfld_expat
    Participant

Sure, that was peak-zombie craze.

OneBagTravel
    Participant

Agreed, along with Pirates and Ninjas.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Sure, that was peak-zombie craze.

I dunno… that show has only gotten more and more popular.

I’m sure that plenty of horror/zombie fans are tired of the genre being abused, but the wider audience general public seems to continue to mindlessly lurch toward all forms of zombie-related media. Their numbers and herds only seem to get larger.

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

I think Easter is the appropriate Jesus/Zombie season.

Ned23
    Participant

The crux of his argument is that the city zoning code is inconsistent. It says in one place that if the display is under 200 square feet no permit is required. Then it says in another place for permit requirements that sites can’t take up more than 35% of the lawn space.

Kilgore Trout
    Kilgore Trout
    Participant

The crux of his argument is that the city zoning code is inconsistent. It says in one place that if the display is under 200 square feet no permit is required. Then it says in another place for permit requirements that sites can’t take up more than 35% of the lawn space.

I don’t know that that’s inconsistent. If you had a large yard where 35% is greater than 200 sf, they limit you to 200 sf. If you have a small yard, 35% may end up being less than 200 sf. That’s how I interpret that. That said, it may not be clearlY written that way in the code, or is stated in separate sections that don’t reference each other.

Eugene_C
    Participant

Last I heard the township replied to his appeal citing the nativity roof as an “accessory structure” that is not permitted as part of the display. So, he removed the roof and is waiting to see if they continue to fine him. He has a crowdfunding page to help raise money for the fines.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: