Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Ohio will not establish state-run health insurance exchange

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Ohio will not establish state-run health insurance exchange

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Author

gramarye
    Participant

Snarf said:
    We’re all gonna die!

Well, technically … yes.

gramarye
    Participant

Twixlen said:
    That’s exactly what I’ve been thinking. Ironic that they *want* the federal government to do their jobs on this one.

I’m sure they don’t actually want the federal government to do it, either; they want ObamaCare repealed. However, I’d be more than happy to let the federal government mess it up and take the blame for its failures than to take an affirmative act that essentially acknowledges the system and signifies a certain level of buy-in into it.

Twixlen
    Participant

gramarye said:
    I’m sure they don’t actually want the federal government to do it, either; they want ObamaCare repealed. However, I’d be more than happy to let the federal government mess it up and take the blame for its failures than to take an affirmative act that essentially acknowledges the system and signifies a certain level of buy-in into it.

There’s one piece of information that I can’t seem to find anywhere… Ohio is saying it doesn’t want to set up an exchange itself because they don’t want to spend the money on it – will the federal gov’t be charging a fee for their set-up? I find it hard to believe they won’t, considering there is grant money available to cover the cost of set up.

catnfiddle
    Participant

I wonder how much of this decision is based on her initial stalling in the hopes of the law being overturned.

Graybeak
    Participant

catnfiddle said:
    I wonder how much of this decision is based on her initial stalling in the hopes of the law being overturned.

well, and through it all, I can’t imagine that much, if any of this is actually “her” decision. Or at least, from the other direction, lets not put all (or any of) the blame on her.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Twixlen said:
    There’s one piece of information that I can’t seem to find anywhere… Ohio is saying it doesn’t want to set up an exchange itself because they don’t want to spend the money on it – will the federal gov’t be charging a fee for their set-up? I find it hard to believe they won’t, considering there is grant money available to cover the cost of set up.

I’ve never seen any language that indicates states would be charged for setting up exchanges.

rory
    Participant

joev said:
    Were it Romney’s idea, she would have done this in a heartbeat.

It was Romney’s idea. The fact that the Republicans have conveniently forgotten that really doesn’t count.

brothermarcus
    Participant

Just handing over dollars upon dollars to the healthcare organizations who lobby at the national level vs. those lobbying in the state… I assume the administration did a cost/benefit analysis on how this affects their donations and felt like letting the money sit outside of Ohio was the best decision for their political coffers and golden parachutes, just like with other federal monies they’ve passed on. They certainly give no craps about anything other than their agenda. However they can always use our money to hand to corporations who have no real intention of leaving the state, but say they do.

Without taking a stance on the merits of the bill one way or the other, at this point, I believe that the republican party thinks the bill will be repealed in the not-too-distant future, so it would essentially be a waste of money to set up the exchange at this point (especially for a republican administration that believes repeal is inevitable). When and if it appears that the law is going to stay on the books, a state exchange would probably be set up. Just my two cents.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Displaced Columbusite said:
    Without taking a stance on the merits of the bill one way or the other, at this point, I believe that the republican party thinks the bill will be repealed in the not-too-distant future, so it would essentially be a waste of money to set up the exchange at this point (especially for a republican administration that believes repeal is inevitable). When and if it appears that the law is going to stay on the books, a state exchange would probably be set up. Just my two cents.

There’s some bureaucratic problems as well.

http://www.mackinac.org/17226

rus said:
    There’s some bureaucratic problems as well.

http://www.mackinac.org/17226

Oh I don’t disagree there are some bureaucracy/political motivations involved; however this is also a great deal of economic efficiency involved that can be seen if we can step back from the immediate cynicism that always seems to surround politics (of which I am often guilty too).

News
    Participant

ehill27
    Participant

Don’t leave health-insurance exchange to the feds

Insurance in Ohio is a big deal. Ohio ranks sixth in the country in health-insurance employment, with almost 50,000 workers. On top of that, Ohio has more than 86,000 insurance agents who make their living by helping working families find insurance products that best meet their needs.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/editorials/2012/07/21/dont-leave-health-insurance-exchange-to-the-feds.html

News
    Participant

Ohio Will Not Build Its Own Healthcare Exchange
    November 16, 2012
    by Steve Brown
    89.7 NPR News Morning Anchor

Ohio will not set up its own health care exchange, and will instead opt to have the federal government do it for them. The online exchanges are a key provision of the Affordable Care Act. They’re designed to bring customers together and increase their buying power and spread risk.

READ MORE: http://wosu.org/2012/news/2012/11/16/ohio-will-not-build-its-own-healthcare-exchange/

News
    Participant

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 45 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE