Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Ohio will not establish state-run health insurance exchange

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Ohio will not establish state-run health insurance exchange

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Lt. Gov. Taylor: Ohio will not establish state-run health insurance exchange

BY TYREL LINKHORN

BLADE BUSINESS WRITER

BOWLING GREEN — Lt. Gov. Mary Taylor said Tuesday that the Kasich Administration will not set up a state-run health insurance exchange as directed under President Obama’s sweeping health care reform.

“At this point, we are not going to set up a state-based exchange,” Ms. Taylor said while speaking before a luncheon meeting of the Bowling Green Chamber of Commerce.

READ MORE: http://www.toledoblade.com/State/2012/07/10/Lt-Gov-Taylor-Ohio-will-not-establish-state-run-health-insurance-exchange.html

joev
    Participant

What a traitor to the people of Ohio.

geoyui
    Participant

I’m not surprised at all.

Graybeak
    Participant

I wonder if the new healthcare plan will cover bo-tox treatments?

rus
    rus
    Participant

Graybeak said:
    I wonder if the new healthcare plan will cover bo-tox treatments?

Here’s hoping it covers anti-depressants for the hyperbolic.

ETA: too late.

joev
    Participant

I sincerely hope she finds herself in need of care someday, without the luxury of insurance to pay for it.

Patch
    Participant

Out of curiosity, what will be the difference if the Feds implement the exchange/plan vs. if the State does?

Does it really matter?

NerosNeptune
    Participant

Before we go assuming they’re removing healthcare for the needy and wishing illnesses on other human beings, do we know if this is them hurting Ohio, or just saying Ohio doesn’t have the capability to set up it’s own system right now and needs to use the federal system?

rus
    rus
    Participant

From the article:

Ms. Taylor, a Republican, said it would cost the state between $30 million and $40 million per year to operate an exchange, plus initial start-up costs. She said that’s too much, and there would be no benefit to Ohio residents for the state to set up the exchange.

Instead, the state will defer to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services to set up Ohio’s program, which must be in place by Jan. 1, 2014.

joev
    Participant

It’s Mary Taylor saying that she doesn’t want to do her own damn job. She’s saying it will cost the state too much. (There is a sizable surplus.) It’s just political heel-dragging from a woman who is not capable of her position.

Doing this also leaves federal money on the table that could get more middle income people on Medicare. Over 10 years, Ohio would only be responsible for 10% of that cost, with the Feds kicking in the other 90%. Were it Romney’s idea, she would have done this in a heartbeat.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Patch said:
    Out of curiosity, what will be the difference if the Feds implement the exchange/plan vs. if the State does?

Does it really matter?

Doesn’t seem to.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

joev said:
    It’s Mary Taylor saying that she doesn’t want to do her own damn job. She’s saying it will cost the state too much. (There is a sizable surplus.) It’s just political heel-dragging from a woman who is not capable of her position.

Why should the state spend so much money to set up it’s own system when we can just use the federal system? Is that really worth wishing she comes down with an illness that insurance won’t pay for? That’s pretty disgusting.

Graybeak
    Participant

1st, I wasn’t wishing ill on anyone. Just thought it looked like she had some work done. That ultra surprised, slightly swollen look.

If I remember, she has been saying all along, since she took the job, that Ohio would not establish this exchange, for various reasons.

NerosNeptune
    Participant

I agree she looks like someone is pulling her face back in that pic.. I was responding to joev’s sincere wish for her to be in need of care someday without a way to pay for it.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

We’re all gonna die!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 45 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Local journalism is more important than ever. Please take a moment to read a bit about our mission and consider financially supporting our cause.

CLICK HERE