Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Ohio to ban pit bulls

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Ohio to ban pit bulls

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 148 total)
  • Author

bb

I’m all for the banning of pit bulls. How many times do you have to see a story in the news about a child being attacked before you realize they’re dangerous? I think the most ignorant defense is the “it depends on how they’re raised” logic. We’re talking about an animal that was bred to kill. A couple of treats and love from the owners will never replace that instinct that has been bred into them. There are plenty of other dogs to choose from. Why do you need a pit bull? To compensate for something?

Daz
    Participant

Breed specific legislation is ridiculous.

Daz
    Participant

bb wrote I’m all for the banning of pit bulls. How many times do you have to see a story in the news about a child being attacked before you realize they’re dangerous? I think the most ignorant defense is the “it depends on how they’re raised” logic. We’re talking about an animal that was bred to kill. A couple of treats and love from the owners will never replace that instinct that has been bred into them. There are plenty of other dogs to choose from. Why do you need a pit bull? To compensate for something?

I’ll have to look it up, but I’m pretty damn sure more people are fatally wounded by German Shepards than by the American Pit Bull Terrier annually. Should we ban those too?

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Maybe we should target irresponsible owners, irresponsible breeders and the like. You know, that whole personal responsibility thing…

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

dirtgirl wrote

Mercurius wrote There have been 921 bills introduced by this General Assembly. 850 of which will never see the light of day, this is one of them.

+1 Seriously, Tyrone Yates introduced about ten bills last week, and the General Assembly is about to leave for the summer. They will probably come back for a short lame duck session after the elections, then the GA is dissolved and all the bills go away and require re-introduction. I don’t see this bill as a priority in a Republican-led legislature in a short session post-November. In other words, don’t panic people. There was also a bill introduced to banish the income tax and another that would legalize medical marijuana. Much as it may disappoint everyone, I’m pretty sure those will not go anywhere either :)

I was up front the day the potheads came for that hearing…

somertimeoh
    Participant

bb wrote I’m all for the banning of pit bulls. How many times do you have to see a story in the news about a child being attacked before you realize they’re dangerous? I think the most ignorant defense is the “it depends on how they’re raised” logic. We’re talking about an animal that was bred to kill. A couple of treats and love from the owners will never replace that instinct that has been bred into them. There are plenty of other dogs to choose from. Why do you need a pit bull? To compensate for something?

I’m all for banning ignorant people, can we start there? The rest will work itself out.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Well instead of legislating so many safety initiatives, we should just let Darwin sort things out.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

lifeontwowheels wrote

I’m happy to hear you stand up for what you believe in… :-)

somertimeoh
    Participant

lifeontwowheels wrote Well instead of legislating so many safety initiatives, we should just let Darwin sort things out.

:D

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

michaelcoyote wrote

lifeontwowheels wrote

I’m happy to hear you stand up for what you believe in… :-)

Let me clarify. I was waiting for tours at the entrance when two of the “lobbyist” in favor of the decriminalization came in. Needless to say that fit the stereotype.

gramarye
    Participant

lifeontwowheels wrote Well instead of legislating so many safety initiatives, we should just let Darwin sort things out.

Only problem is that some people remove themselves from the gene pool in ways that might drag others with them. The laws against drunk driving might be thought of as paternalistic if you think of them about protecting you from the consequences of your own idiotic decision–but it’s also about protecting others from you.

Ditto the laws regulating fireworks or high explosives or what have you.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

DUI is horrible example to compare to what I threw out.

Helmet, Seatbelt and Smoking laws are the 3 big ones I would lump into “safety legislation”. Even firecrackers to an extent.

Bear
    Participant

Daz wrote

bb wrote I’m all for the banning of pit bulls. How many times do you have to see a story in the news about a child being attacked before you realize they’re dangerous?

I’ll have to look it up, but I’m pretty damn sure more people are fatally wounded by German Shepards than by the American Pit Bull Terrier annually. Should we ban those too?

Oh, c’mon… how many times do you have to see a story in the news about a child being attacked before you realize that the news is driven by sensationalist stories like PIT BULL ATTACKS CHILD!! rather than by more mundane but far more important stories like government passes obscure economic bill that no one understands, but will likely significantly shorten thousands if not millions of lives but there are no sharks or pit bulls or cute little blonde girls so it goes on page 36b under the discount furniture ads….

I mean, seriously. Fatalities from dog attacks are just friggin’ rare. The CDC site I found earlier says about a dozen a year; dogsbite.org claims 35 last year. Either way, that puts dog attacks in the same category as stuff that people just don’t die of these days, like syphilis (47 in 2005), whooping cough (31), shigellosis and amebiasis (10), and malaria (6). This is not a problem.

By contrast, in the same year (2005), diabetes killed 75,119 people. If people put a fraction of the effort that they put into getting rid of pit bulls into educating kids about the effects of high-glucose diets and high-fructose corn syrup, I have to think we could have saved at least 35 of those lives.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

deer kill WAY more people each year than pit bulls.

so do hippos.

just sayin.

BetsyB

Just a thought: I usually see Pit bulls in areas of town that a little lower on the economic scale, so you have to wonder if these people who can’t even afford to buy insurance for their house or even their car are really carrying expensive Pit Bull insurance….

BTW: I have seen a few pit bulls wondering loose here and there on the westside because the owners aren’t keeping them properly fenced in…if it is the difference between a dog breed not being allowed in Ohio and saving one child from being maimed…I would be for the bill to pass.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 148 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: