Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Ohio to ban pit bulls

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Ohio to ban pit bulls

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 148 total)
  • Author

kessler
    Participant

Mercurius wrote There have been 921 bills introduced by this General Assembly. 850 of which will never see the light of day, this is one of them.

Oh, yeah good point Merc! I guess I can calm down then, can’t really seeing this happen it’s just too over the top. Still goin to email my thoughts in to them though.

Anonymous
    Inactive

Funny I was just around 18th and Main yesterday, and 2 guys were letting their pitbulls not fight but sort of tangle together.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Well, if they’re looking for support for this bill they can go to PETA to get it. They’ve supported the extermination of pit bulls for a while now.

kessler
    Participant

Coremodels wrote Well, if they’re looking for support for this bill they can go to PETA to get it. They’ve supported the extermination of pit bulls for a while now.

I didn’t know this, hmm i’m almost speechless. Infurated and shocked.

Cookie

Coremodels wrote Well, if they’re looking for support for this bill they can go to PETA to get it. They’ve supported the extermination of pit bulls for a while now.

I don’t even like PETA, but come on.

jazzypants

Pretty sure pit bulls already have special restrictions, like shelters are not allowed to put them up for adoption and I think owners are supposed to have crazy amounts of insurance out on them.

I think that stuff is already crazy. It’s sad that shelters just automatically have to put down any pit bull they receive because some are actually really sweet dogs.

Interestingly, today the dispatch has an ariticle about a crazy little feral dog on the loose in Columbus!

mrmonnin

michaelcoyote wrote

captain janks wrote its a pity that responsible dog owners get lumped in with all the pieces of shit who mistreat and fight their dogs.

but what about the children!!

This is a very good point. Let’s treat parents of children that display staulking, bullying, or any other percieved threatening behavior as owners of “vicious” dogs. This is a slippery slope we approach. Be careful for what you wish for.

Bear
    Participant

Sassy Steph wrote

captain janks wrote its a pity that responsible dog owners get lumped in with all the pieces of shit who mistreat and fight their dogs.

Kind of like Gun owners. :wink:

Kind of not, actually. There are about 30,000 firearm-related deaths per year in the US, and, despite the hype, according to the CDC, about a dozen dog-bite-related deaths. I’ll grant that there are quite a few responsible gun owners. They’re responsible for ensuring that gun regulations are so lax that guns end up in the hands of people who kill other people with them. But that’s one form of responsibility that, in my experience, gun owners tend not to own up to. If they did, they’d push to make gun ownership both legal and very, very difficult — a privilege that has to be earned by people who have proven by their actions that they can handle the responsibility.

Sorry for the digression. But seriously. No.

Mercurius
    Participant

Bear wrote

Sassy Steph wrote

Kind of like Gun owners. :wink:

Kind of not, actually. There are about 30,000 firearm-related deaths per year in the US, and, despite the hype, according to the CDC, about a dozen dog-bite-related deaths. I’ll grant that there are quite a few responsible gun owners. They’re responsible for ensuring that gun regulations are so lax that guns end up in the hands of people who kill other people with them. But that’s one form of responsibility that, in my experience, gun owners tend not to own up to. If they did, they’d push to make gun ownership both legal and very, very difficult — a privilege that has to be earned by people who have proven by their actions that they can handle the responsibility.

Sorry for the digression. But seriously. No. In other news, Castle Doctrine is a bill that is on the move.

http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/analysis.cfm?ID=127_SB_184&ACT=As%20Passed%20by%20Senate&hf=analyses127/s0184-ps-127.htm

captain janks
    Participant

hopefully that one DOES see the light of day.

gramarye
    Participant

mrmonnin wrote

michaelcoyote wrote

but what about the children!!

This is a very good point. Let’s treat parents of children that display staulking, bullying, or any other percieved threatening behavior as owners of “vicious” dogs. This is a slippery slope we approach. Be careful for what you wish for.

The law does draw a sharp distinction between animals and children, not surprisingly. In more ways than not, animals are treated like property. Like possessions. That means that a bite from your dog is a hurt flowing from an object under your control more than a member of your household. While children aren’t presumed fully capable of mature decision-making, it’s recognized that they are at least intelligent, sentient beings, even those who watch Teletubbies and Hannah Montana. With a judge’s permission, they can be witnesses in court, for example; your dog, no matter how intelligent, can’t.

Bear
    Participant

Mercurius wrote In other news, Castle Doctrine is a bill that is on the move.

http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/analysis.cfm?ID=127_SB_184&ACT=As%20Passed%20by%20Senate&hf=analyses127/s0184-ps-127.htm

Very interesting. And thanks for the heads up. I’ve never understood the obligation to retreat under those circumstances — seems to me if I’m in my home, I’ve pretty much already retreated.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Cookie wrote

I don’t even like PETA, but come on.

Try reading up on Ingrid Newkirk.

http://www.nokillnow.com/PETAkillPitbulls.php

breeding ban + 100% euthanasia policy = extermination of pit bulls.

somertimeoh
    Participant

Thanks, Core. That blurb on PETA’s website is complete BS because that’s NOT how they really feel.

I didn’t bring Zina with me from because Ohio terrified me. When I was moving I read somewhere that I would have to register her which means that if a law like that passed, they’d know exactly where to go to pick her up. I just couldn’t risk it so she stayed with my parents. It still kills me to leave her every time I go home, but I know that she’s safe there. When I grow up and learn how to be home on a consistent basis I will get another dog and I will rescue another pit because they need good homes too.

People that are scared of pits shouldn’t own them. As with any animal, dominating them is the only way to keep them, yourself, and others safe. This does not mean mistreating them, but it does mean that they have to know they are not in charge. There are bad people that own every type of breed out there. For some reason it became sexy to hate pit bulls. Many times when you see news stories about a pit bull hurting someone it’s not even a pit, it’s some other breed. Try it http://www.pitbullsontheweb.com/petbull/findpit.html

It’s easy to jump on the bandwagon, but just remember there’s a lot of people who provide loving homes to these animals and they are a part of our families just as Bugsy, Kirby, Moose, Monkey, Charlie, etc. are :)

Photobucket

dirtgirl
    Participant

Mercurius wrote There have been 921 bills introduced by this General Assembly. 850 of which will never see the light of day, this is one of them.

+1 Seriously, Tyrone Yates introduced about ten bills last week, and the General Assembly is about to leave for the summer. They will probably come back for a short lame duck session after the elections, then the GA is dissolved and all the bills go away and require re-introduction. I don’t see this bill as a priority in a Republican-led legislature in a short session post-November. In other words, don’t panic people. There was also a bill introduced to banish the income tax and another that would legalize medical marijuana. Much as it may disappoint everyone, I’m pretty sure those will not go anywhere either :)

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 148 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: