Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Ohio to ban pit bulls

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Ohio to ban pit bulls

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 148 total)
  • Author

captain janks
    Participant

found this on another website… thought it was kind of interesting.

Ohio to Ban Pit Bulls

Ohio Representative Tyrone Yates introduced House Bill 568 (the ‘Bill’), which, if passed, will prohibit the ownership of pit bulls in the State of Ohio. The Bill requires all owners to surrender their ‘pit bulls’ within 90 days of the effective date of the proposed law. The Bill provides that the dog warden ‘shall’ euthanize all pit bulls within 10 days of their surrender. In addition, a dog warden or other officer that has probable cause to believe that a dog is a ‘pit bull,’ may apply for a search warrant. With a search warrant, an officer will have the authority to seize the dog and surrender the dog to the dog warden to be killed.

To see a copy of the Bill, please visit: http://www.legislature.state.oh.us/bills.cfm?ID=127_HB_568

We heard from Webster’s Aide earlier today and she indicated that the Bill has been assigned to a committee. Until I am informed of the committee considering the Bill, there are a few things each of us can do. Please DO NOT WAIT to do the following: please remember to be polite and respectful in all correspondence!

Ohio Residents:

Contact Your House Rep as follows:

(1) Draft a PERSONALIZED LETTER to your house representative. If you do not know who your representative is, please visit: click

In the letter, indicate that you are a constituent, that you oppose Bill 568, that you will leave Ohio if this passes (if that is the case) and that you want your representative to oppose the Bill.

Please try to send this letter out immediately.

(2) Call your representative to express your opposition and to urge your representative’s opposition. Tell him/her that you will fight this all the way. Remember to leave your name, city of residence and phone number. You will most probably get your reps voicemail. Please plan what to say prior to making the call.

ALTHOUGH EMAILS ARE EASIER, PLEASE FOCUS ON SENDING LETTERS AND CALLING. THIS IS EXTREMELY IMPORTANT AT THIS POINT!!!!! TAKE 15 MINUTES TO WRITE A LETTER AND MAKE SURE TO PERSONALIZE IT. OUR REPRESENTATIVES NOTICE WHEN THEY RECIEVE FORM LETTERS.

(3) Send an e-mail to your representative urging him/her to vote against the Bill. Tell him/her that you will leave Ohio if this passes.

***For additional talking points for your letters, please visit: click

Contact the Leadership: (contact information below)

(1) Use the LETTER you sent to your representative and revise it slightly. Although you may not be a constituent, leadership has a lot of power and expects to hear from the residents of Ohio. So, please send letters.

(2) Call each member of the leadership. You will probably get voicemail but please leave your name, city of residence and phone number. Please plan what you will say prior to making the call.

****At this point, we do not want emails sent to leadership.*************

IF YOU CAN, PLEASE LET ME KNOW ONCE YOU’VE SENT THE LETTER, LEFT A VOICE MAIL AND EMAILED. WE ARE TRYING TO KEEP TRACK OF WHAT EVERYONE’S DONE AND WE’RE TRYING TO FIGHT THIS AS A UNIFIED GROUP SO YOUR COOPERATION IS APPRECIATED!

Out of State Individuals Wishing to Voice Opposition:

Until we determine to which committee the Bill has been assigned, if you would like to voice your opposition, the best thing to do is to:

(1) Send LETTERS to House Leaders (contact info below) and voice your opposition.

(2) Call the leadership and leave messages voicing your opposition.

Leadership Contact Information:

John Husted

Speaker of the House

77 S. High St

14th Floor

Columbus, OH 43215-6111

Telephone: (614) 644-6008

Fax : (614) 719-3591

Email Address: [email protected]

Kevin DeWine

Speaker Pro Tempore

77 S. High St

14th Floor

Columbus, OH 43215-6111

Telephone: (614) 644-6020

Fax : (614) 719-3970

Larry L. Flowers

Majority Floor Leader

77 S. High St

14th Floor

Columbus, OH 43215-6111

Telephone: (614) 466-4847

Fax : (614) 719-6958

Jim Carmichael

Assistant Majority Floor Leader

77 S. High St

12th Floor

Columbus, OH 43215-6111

Telephone: (614) 466-1474

Fax : (614) 719-0003

Michelle G. Schneider

Majority Whip

77 S. High St

14th Floor

Columbus, OH 43215-6111

Telephone: (614) 644-6023

Fax : (614) 719-3589

Shannon Jones

Assistant Majority Whip

77 S. High St

11th Floor

Columbus, OH 43215-6111

Telephone: (614) 644-6027

Fax : (614) 719-3967

Joyce Beatty

Minority Leader

77 S. High St

14th Floor

Columbus, OH 43215-6111

Telephone: (614) 466-5343

Fax : (614) 719-3581

T. Todd Book

Assistant Minority Leader

77 S. High St

14th Floor

Columbus, OH 43215-6111

Telephone: (614) 466-2124

Fax : (614) 719-6989

Fred Strahorn

Minority Whip

77 S. High St

14th Floor

Columbus, OH 43215-6111

Telephone: (614) 466-2960

Fax : (614) 719-6940

Mike Foley

Assistant Minority Whip

77 S. High St

14th Floor

Columbus, OH 43215-6111

Telephone: (614) 466-3350

Fax : (614) 719-3910

Shana Klein, President

P.O. Box 19081

Cleveland, Ohio 44119

http://www.canineadvocatesofohio.org

captain janks
    Participant

its a pity that responsible dog owners get lumped in with all the pieces of shit who mistreat and fight their dogs.

michaelcoyote
    Participant

captain janks wrote its a pity that responsible dog owners get lumped in with all the pieces of shit who mistreat and fight their dogs.

but what about the children!!

captain janks
    Participant

lifeliberty
    Participant

michaelcoyote wrote

captain janks wrote its a pity that responsible dog owners get lumped in with all the pieces of shit who mistreat and fight their dogs.

people mistreat and fight their children all the time…I don’t think you need to worry about that going away anytime soon.

turnedNOTburned
    Participant

+1 – I doubt they would even get a “pit bull registry” passed. The private sector is already starting to address this in the form of denying insurance coverage and rentals to pitbull owners. There have also been some landmark lawsuits in which owners have had to pay some pretty steep penalties (including incarceration) due to attacks from ALL dogs, including pitbulls.

Imagine what kinda lawsuits this legislation would bring about…. such a good use of our legislatures energy… I have an idea – why don’t they focus on job stimulation, health care, alternative energies, fix school funding…

So many things that are more important…

joev
    Participant

That sounds like state-sponsored genocide to me.

kessler
    Participant

This has to be some kind of joke? Right?

How can something like this be accepted or tollerated? extermination??

This is freakin nuts!

I work at a vets office on the weekends part time and acutally had a pitbull this weekend. This dog was a sweetheart. To think that some official would vote for the extermination of a good dog would be my vote against this official.

The Mean dogs any breed and the one’s that do and have attacked. I can see where it could be a consideration for.

sorry, this has got to be the dumbest thing i’ve heard since the wanting a space needle or mountain built!

My panties (if I wore them! but that’s not my style) are definately all twisted now :evil:

michaelcoyote
    Participant

lifeliberty wrote

michaelcoyote wrote

people mistreat and fight their children all the time…I don’t think you need to worry about that going away anytime soon.

Maybe we should ban children.

Ndcent

While I could give a shit about these bred to kill dogs, I sure do love me some Cap’n Janks.

Lauren Wilson
    Lauren Wilson
    Participant

Ndcent wrote I sure do love me some Cap’n Janks.

+1

Aren’t you glad he’s graced us with his presence again.

I’m so psyched I could pee. :)

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

turnedandburned, I agree. Where is the time spent on our State’s economic issues, school funding, energy and transit?

We need a libertarian-minded candidate somewhere in State government…

Kind of like Gun owners. :wink:

Mercurius
    Participant

lifeontwowheels wrote turnedandburned, I agree. Where is the time spent on our State’s economic issues, school funding, energy and transit?

We need a libertarian-minded candidate somewhere in State government… There have been 921 bills introduced by this General Assembly. 850 of which will never see the light of day, this is one of them.

Oh, on school funding, for every dollar the state spends, 53 cents goes to education and it is quite equitably distributed.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

I know the volume that takes place. Until the Senate moved it, I showed the journal off quite a bit to my groups. That sucker was heavy.

It just seems our state spends a little too much time on issues like this and strippers and less on the ones that count.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 148 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: