Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Ohio Republicans and voting hours

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Ohio Republicans and voting hours

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

I find it interesting that not to long ago there was no such thing as early voting (other than voting by absentee ballot). Then the legislature creates early voting. Then another legislature wants to limit the dates. Then a federal judge steps in and applies the “compelling governmental interest test” to the most recent legislation.

The judge cites Bush v. Gore as an authority (but judges all seem to cite that case now).

As a lawyer, I am concerned. I understand the partisan positions. But the more the courts step in and use their powers this way, the less legitimacy they are going to have. As a general principle, courts can create law in areas where the legislature has not yet acted. Courts can overrule laws passed by the legislature if those laws violate the US Constitution. But in between those two boundaries is a very broad area where the courts cannot overrule the legislature.

I have been doing some quick reading on Sixth Circuit election law since this decision will probably be appealed to that court of appeals. Apparently, the Sixth Circuit can get rather bitter when it deals with partisan election law issues. The appeal from there would be to the US Supreme Court. The last time an Ohio Election law case went to the Supremes, that court ruled in favor of the Democratic party position. I wonder how high this case will go and I wonder what will happen.

ehill27
    Participant

In a democracy, the more votes the better.

rus
    rus
    Participant

ehill27 said:

Vote early, vote often.

Graybeak
    Participant

I wonder how this will jibe with the whole “no weekend voting hours, at all” directive from Secretary Husted.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

sirlancelot said:
    Why are Ohio Republicans so reluctant to extend in-person voting hours in urban districts? Uniform voting hours may make sense in low populated counties but not necessarily in urban areas. Given the remarks by Franklin County Republican Party Chairman Preisse, it seems the Ohio GOP has decided to ignore segments of the population: minorities, college age students, disabled, the urban poor and elderly. These are the people who are most likley to need additional voting time because they may not live or work a standard weekday, may need help with interpreting ballot language, and may not be able to see well enough to use an absentee ballot.

The Ohio Republican Party sends a terrible message to Ohioans that only certain people count. If that is their message, why bother to campaign at all?

Successful well paid Ohioans vote republican? Weird.

ehill27
    Participant

ehill27 said:

rus said:
    Vote early, vote often.

hmm… i guess. unless you’re suggesting multiple votes in the same election. that would obviously be counter to the point.

rus
    rus
    Participant

ehill27 said:
    hmm… i guess. unless you’re suggesting multiple votes in the same election. that would obviously be counter to the point.

o_O

woosh

ehill27
    Participant

I’m still confused. Is there a point here? Does it relate to my statement?

rus
    rus
    Participant

ehill27 said:
    I’m still confused. Is there a point here? Does it relate to my statement?

Your statement is too broad. More votes isn’t a good thing if those votes are fraudulent, yes?

What you mean is more voter participation is a good thing, right?

ehill27
    Participant

Agreed. Glad we cleared that up…

In a democracy, the more votes participation the better.

(at a minimum, participation in the form of voting, but not more than one vote per person, because that would be illegal and counter to the good of the democracy)

GCrites80s
    Participant

rus, you do know that voter fraud is basically not a problem at all at polling places currently, right? It’s just too hard to pull off; longer hours don’t affect that.

Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant

Graybeak
    Participant
Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: