Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Ohio Republicans and voting hours

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Ohio Republicans and voting hours

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)
  • Author

sirlancelot
    Participant

Why are Ohio Republicans so reluctant to extend in-person voting hours in urban districts? Uniform voting hours may make sense in low populated counties but not necessarily in urban areas. Given the remarks by Franklin County Republican Party Chairman Preisse, it seems the Ohio GOP has decided to ignore segments of the population: minorities, college age students, disabled, the urban poor and elderly. These are the people who are most likley to need additional voting time because they may not live or work a standard weekday, may need help with interpreting ballot language, and may not be able to see well enough to use an absentee ballot.

The Ohio Republican Party sends a terrible message to Ohioans that only certain people count. If that is their message, why bother to campaign at all?

gramarye
    Participant

I think there may already be a thread on the voting-hours issue.

ColumbusTime
    ColumbusTime
    Participant

Sounds like you are really interested in giving the Ohio Republican Party a fair shake too.

Ohio has an abundance of early voting hours and the option to get an absentee ballot.

Numerous states allow no early voting.

ehill27
    Participant

True, but what could be the downside of getting maximum participation?

jackoh
    Participant

ehill27 said:

Perhaps, your party won’t win. (The other way this is accomplished in some places across the globe is to have only your party count the votes and announce the results.)

ColumbusTime
    ColumbusTime
    Participant

ehill27 said:

Who says your system would get better participation? We need an orderly system that can be monitored to keep the integrity of the votes. People are needed to staff the system.

ehill27
    Participant

I fail to see the problem.

jackoh
    Participant

ColumbusTime said:
    Who says your system would get better participation? We need an orderly system that can be monitored to keep the integrity of the votes. People are needed to staff the system.

What I find interesting in this is, as I suggested above, that these efforts to insure “the integrity of the votes” are, actually, having the effect of undermining confidence in the results of the voting.

DavidF
    Participant

jackoh said:
    What I find interesting in this is, as I suggested above, that these efforts to insure “the integrity of the votes” are, actually, having the effect of undermining confidence in the results of the voting.

It’s called text / subtext

Text: “We need to ensure the integrity of the vote!”
    Subtext: “Too many voters guarantees we lose. Let’s fix that.”

You have to realize that what is said, is not what is meant.

All snark aside, I heard Husted on All Sides with Anne Fisher, and he gave an extremely well thought out defense of his position on this, taking both sides to task for creating an inflammatory environment. I may not agree with him, but hats off for actually having an intelligent, well thought out line of reasoning for his actions.

Schoolboy
    Participant

This is the first year I believe that I’ll need to file an absentee ballot. Stuck in a lease that requires me to drive 1.5 hours to and from every day for work. Love living in the country, but hate the drive, gas costs, traffic, etc…

Can’t do anything about it. “Maybe” getting to vote isn’t good enough for me this election.

Never voted absentee before. Always considered it a waste, never thought they ever actually counted them. Wondering if anyone else has the same feelings, or if anyone has ever participated in “counting” the votes and knows for certain my feelings are unwarranted.

Graybeak
    Participant

Schoolboy said:
    Never voted absentee before. Always considered it a waste, never thought they ever actually counted them. Wondering if anyone else has the same feelings, or if anyone has ever participated in “counting” the votes and knows for certain my feelings are unwarranted.

Hi there. It is not a waste, and I recommend it for someone in your situation. I would say the first step is to make sure your address is up to date. Sec of State Voter Address Update
    The Secretary of State’s office is mailing out absentee ballot applications to every registered voter in the state. That certainly makes that part easier.

You then mail that in to your county’s board of elections. You will get an actual ballot in the mail, along with a privacy envelope for your ballot.

Once you fill that out, place everything in the proper envelope order. Sign where you are supposed to sign, and mail it in. The cost of stamps are much less than the gas for your commute.

As for the counting, I know they are, but don’t really know how to express that knowledge to others, other than to say “trust me”. However, with as many “Election Observers” (people not affiliated with the BOE watching to make sure everything is done correctly) as there are, plenty of folks are indeed making sure votes are counted.
    Both at the Election Night tally (that often keeps us in the office until the wee hours of the morning) and the official canvas of votes that begins on November 17th.

rus
    rus
    Participant

What Graybeak said.

I voted absentee for years; it’s a relatively painless process. Don’t let any unfounded suspicions stop you from participating in the process.

peter
    Participant

Why are Ohio Republicans so reluctant to extend in-person voting hours in urban districts? … it seems the Ohio GOP has decided to ignore segments of the population: minorities, college age students, disabled, the urban poor and elderly.

Because 4 out of 5 of those groups vote overwhelmingly Democratic (and the remaining group has been convinced to vote against its own interest, for the most part). It’s not a mystery, though it is disgusting.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

A side note on integrity of a vote – for about 8 years, they had the wrong signature next to my name in the book, but they let me vote anyway. I kept reporting it, and it was finally fixed a few years ago.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 28 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: