Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Ohio ranked 13th fattest state - 30% of Ohioans are Obese

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Ohio ranked 13th fattest state – 30% of Ohioans are Obese

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 111 total)
  • Author

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

ohiogirlie74 said:
    Snip

If you really are interested in getting on a bike, shoot me a PM w/ contact. I can get you in touch with some women working on bike issues in Columbus that can give you some good tips and support.

lifeliberty
    Participant

DonnaTate said:
    At some point I’m going to go back to work, and I’m going to ask for a treadmill desk.

this went around the office a while ago

http://health.yahoo.net/experts/menshealth/most-dangerous-thing-youll-do-all-day

full article here
    http://www.menshealth.com/health/staying-active?cm_mmc=Yahoo_Blog-_-Health-_-the_most_dangerous_thing-_-Office_Chair_Killing_You

johnwirtz
    Participant

cc said:
    Or maybe a percentage of fat people feel uncomfortable walking to or riding on the train…I think the fatter I got the less things I would feel comfortable doing. I have seen some condescending looks given to overwieght people on the bus. I would imagine it could get worse on a crowded commuter train. I am thinking about both the physical and emotional components.

Could be. I guess my evil plan is working.

DonnaTate

rus said:
    Interesting twist: are obese children the victims of child abuse and, therefore, should be taken from their parents and put into foster care?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43727876/ns/health-health_care/t/obesity-alone-no-reason-remove-kids-their-homes/

How do you prove neglect? There are many medical conditions that cause obesity, so how do you rule them out…and who pays for all of that testing (which is invasive – brings out more issues there)? Not only that, but how do you make sure the families of these children have access to healthy foods – and who will pay for that?

rus
    rus
    Participant

DonnaTate said:
    How do you prove neglect? There are many medical conditions that cause obesity, so how do you rule them out…and who pays for all of that testing (which is invasive – brings out more issues there)? Not only that, but how do you make sure the families of these children have access to healthy foods – and who will pay for that?

S’why I linked to the op-ed against the practice.

Core_Models

DonnaTate said:
    How do you prove neglect?

There was recently a patient at a local hospital, a child, who was so obese they had cirrhosis of the liver at like 8 or 9 years old.

That’s neglect.

Core_Models

BTW:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8612881/Obesity-crisis-Half-a-million-children-have-liver-disease.html

Doctors say obesity levels are now so high that children are commonly suffering signs of disease more commonly associated with alcohol abuse, meaning many will go on to develop cirrhosis, with some requiring liver transplants.

Government estimates say around 500,000 children below the age of 15 are suffering from “non alcoholic liver disease” which is caused by a build-up of fat within liver cells, which stops the organ functioning properly.

And that’s not even the US…where I pretty much guarantee its much, much worse.

misskitty
    Participant

What about the kids whose parents let them destroy a entire pack of Oreo’s before leaving the store.

In October of 2005, a stranger had called Children’s Services to report their concern for Jessica’s well-being, prompting a 19 month stay at a specialized obesity clinic in Virgina, where the eight year old successfully got her weight back down to 110 lbs. Diet and exercise are credited as being the method of weight loss, although she has undergone other surgeries to correct other related issues such as excess skin and bowed legs.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Why the Obesity Epidemic Could Be Much Worse Than We Think[/url]

Summarizing the results of the study, Dr. George Bray, chief of Pennington’s Division of Clinical Obesity and Metabolism said: “Calories from fat and carbohydrate were stored as extra calories. Protein calories did not affect fat storage directly, but did increase energy expenditure and changes in lean body mass.”

This small study has some large implications. The typical diet in the United States is high in fat, high in carbohydrates, and low in protein. The results of this study suggest that overeating on this type of diet can cause people to gain body fat, even if they aren’t gaining a lot of weight.

The results also imply that the epidemic of obesity may be worse than statistics show since even people at lower weights can have excess body fat. Body composition — or the make-up of a person’s weight — may be a more important indicator of health than weight as measured on a bathroom scale. Excess body fat is linked to a greater risk of chronic diseases such as type 2 diabetes, coronary artery disease, and stroke.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

It’s all Paula Deen’s fault.

jbcmh81
    Participant

cc said:
    Or maybe a percentage of fat people feel uncomfortable walking to or riding on the train…I think the fatter I got the less things I would feel comfortable doing. I have seen some condescending looks given to overwieght people on the bus. I would imagine it could get worse on a crowded commuter train. I am thinking about both the physical and emotional components.

If losing weight and being healthy were easy, then everyone would already be so. However, this seems like a huge excuse to me. There’s no such thing as being too fat to exercise, and you actually have to exercise and eat healthy to bring your body back to the point where doing something physical is not an uncomfortable chore.

rus
    rus
    Participant

jbcmh81 said:
    If losing weight and being healthy were easy, then everyone would already be so. However, this seems like a huge excuse to me. There’s no such thing as being too fat to exercise, and you actually have to exercise and eat healthy to bring your body back to the point where doing something physical is not an uncomfortable chore.

“Eat healthy” is a good starting point regardless of physical condition, though.

Start with lean meats / fish ( with a greater emphasis on protein if the recent study[/url] is to be believed ), complex carbs and even some grains.

Once the pounds start to come off, then beginning an exercise routine is easier. More energy, less flab.

johnwirtz
    Participant

I thought the US had a high protein diet?

rus
    rus
    Participant

johnwirtz said:
    I thought the US had a high protein diet?

Might depend on who you ask, but from the all knowing wiki…

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Western_pattern_diet#Standard_American_Diet

The “Standard American Diet” (S.A.D.) is a similar term, specifically used to denigrate what some authors say is the stereotypical diet of Americans. The typical American diet is about 50% carbohydrate, 15% protein, and 35% fat[7] which is over the dietary guidelines for the amount of fat (below 30%), below the guidelines for carbohydrate (above 55%), and at the bottom end of the guidelines for the amount of protein (above 15%) recommended in the diet.[8]

JonMyers
    Participant

rus said:
    “Eat healthy” is a good starting point regardless of physical condition, though.

Start with lean meats / fish ( with a greater emphasis on protein if the recent study[/url] is to be believed ), complex carbs and even some grains.

Once the pounds start to come off, then beginning an exercise routine is easier. More energy, less flab.

Cutting back on portions couldn’t hurt.

Viewing 15 posts - 91 through 105 (of 111 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns!

The 6th Annual Columbus Coffee Festival returns on Saturday September 25th and Sunday September 26th!

CLICK HERE FOR TICKETS & INFORMATION