Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Ohio ranked 13th fattest state - 30% of Ohioans are Obese

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Ohio ranked 13th fattest state – 30% of Ohioans are Obese

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 111 total)
  • Author

Core_Models

joev said:
    It’s pretty hard to eat a 1000 calorie meal (let alone three a day) if you avoid packaged/processed/convenience foods. Real food is more filling.

I’m with you…to an extent. Putting away 3500+ calories a day isn’t that tough though, when you add soda or beer or sweets or snacks.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Core_Models said:
    I’m with you…to an extent. Putting away 3500+ calories a day isn’t that tough though, when you add soda or beer or sweets or snacks.

Very true, Core.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Core_Models said:
    As to the rest of it, if this poll reported that 30% of the state smoked and it was the 13th most smokingest state in the US, I think people would be concerned because of the drain that causes on the economy.

That sounds like a lot of cigarette tax income to me! ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

cbus11 said:
    There are no articles out seeking to replace gas stoves and heaters with more calorie intensive chopped wood ones.

But there *are* exercises designed to replace wood chopping:

http://www.shovelglove.com

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

rus said:
    Oh, so that’s how you control calories?

Works for me since I started the new “diet” 3 weeks ago. 3 meals and 3 snacks a day, all real food. Check labels for HFCS. Eating lean proteins (chicken, turkey burgers or ground turkey and fish), incorporating beans, dairy, nuts, whole grains and fruit.

Core_Models

lifeontwowheels said:
    Works for me since I started the new “diet” 3 weeks ago. 3 meals and 3 snacks a day, all real food. Check labels for HFCS. Eating lean proteins (chicken, turkey burgers or ground turkey and fish), incorporating beans, dairy, nuts, whole grains and fruit.

Once I got back to the weight I wanted using more drastic methods, this is exactly what I’ve done to maintain. I still count calories to an extent, but mostly I just completely avoid processed food. The amazing part, I had HORRIBLE reflux for years, taking daily prilosec the whole bit…now, I can’t remember the last time I felt reflux pain or took a pill.

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

Core_Models said:
    Once I got back to the weight I wanted using more drastic methods, this is exactly what I’ve done to maintain. I still count calories to an extent, but mostly I just completely avoid processed food. The amazing part, I had HORRIBLE reflux for years, taking daily prilosec the whole bit…now, I can’t remember the last time I felt reflux pain or took a pill.

I’m loosely following Men’s Health Abs Diet. But being on 3rd shift, it’s kind of hard to have a normal routine when it comes to meals. So I do my best to follow the 3 meals, 3 snacks things.

Just started at the Y this week. They have a program called Fit Start available to new members I would highly recommend. It was/is exactly what I needed. It’s free, a personal trainer meets with you 4 times over an 8-10 week period. I think the 1st 2 weeks you discuss goals and they walk you through the fitness center, show you the equipment, how to use and recommend both the set up and a routine for you. So this week she set me up on 2 different cardio machines and 3 weight machines. Next week, I think we cover the rest.

Just off the diet and having a very active job, I was pleasantly surprised to see my weight down to where I wanted it.

pez
    Participant

joev said:

This is a major part of it. If you go to the gym, the fit people aren’t necessarily the ones in the spinning class or on the treadmills, they’re doing muscle buliding exercises. You have to watch what you eat, but your basal metabolism is what’s going to burn the calories long term and the way to increase that is building muscle, cardio alone just won’t cut it.

Some of my rules of thumb FWIW:
    No soda, and most importantly, no artificial sweeteners
    Little to no caffeine
    Minimize sugar and HFCS
    Minimal potato products
    Partially substitute veggies (squash, zucchini, califlower, etc) for pasta
    Lots of beans and raw vegetables
    Substitute spices for fats and sauces with meats and pastas
    Nothing deep fried

Also
    Don’t eat standing up
    never eat in the car
    Don’t use the drive through
    Make you restaurant and fast food selections based on the nutrition guides (research before you go)

cbus11

Core_Models said:

If I may ask, what were your more drastic measures? I am staring down the barrel of an impending class reunion…

Core_Models

cbus11 said:
    If I may ask, what were your more drastic measures? I am staring down the barrel of an impending class reunion…

I did a superpowered Adkins basically, about 10 carbs a day maximum if not zero, plus pretty aggressive cardio (I did Tae Bo) daily. Lost 30 pounds in about 30 days.

rus
    rus
    Participant

lifeontwowheels said:

Not arguing that can’t work to control calories, but pointing out it’s a way to control calories. As in it takes more than just exercise.

DonnaTate

At some point I’m going to go back to work, and I’m going to ask for a treadmill desk. There’s no need to sit all day long.
    I’ve also joined a gym and plan to go there every day for an hour. I have wicked joint pain and I’ve always tried to take things easy because of it, but that didn’t really help. Now I’m going to try to exercise like crazy and see if that helps. I’m guessing a lot of people have health issues that could be resolved by some exercise.
    I’m not knocking dieting, but I think portion control is going to be much easier than some fad diet. If you have to change your diet completely, you’re not likely to stick with it long term. And when you quit dieting, you’re going to gain the weight back… and then some. In the past I’ve had great success with eating smaller meals, more frequently.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Interesting twist: are obese children the victims of child abuse and, therefore, should be taken from their parents and put into foster care?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43727876/ns/health-health_care/t/obesity-alone-no-reason-remove-kids-their-homes/

cc

johnwirtz said:
    There are surprisingly few fat people on my train. Maybe it’s because we walk to and from the train stations.

Or maybe a percentage of fat people feel uncomfortable walking to or riding on the train…I think the fatter I got the less things I would feel comfortable doing. I have seen some condescending looks given to overwieght people on the bus. I would imagine it could get worse on a crowded commuter train. I am thinking about both the physical and emotional components.

ohiogirlie74

cc said:
    Or maybe a percentage of fat people feel uncomfortable walking to or riding on the train…I think the fatter I got the less things I would feel comfortable doing. I have seen some condescending looks given to overwieght people on the bus. I would imagine it could get worse on a crowded commuter train. I am thinking about both the physical and emotional components.

This.

I’m fat, but not sweatpants-24/7 and shop in a scooter cart fat, and I do have a hard time doing “skinny people” activities like riding a bike — because of the ridiculous-looking-ness and overall shame (imagine a fat girl on a bike and try not to snicker). When I rode the bus to work, I would be super conscious of being sure not to take up more than one seat (same in movies, sports arenas, airplanes, concerts, and other places where assigned seating is a thing). It can be pretty demoralizing to see someone get on a bus when all the ’empty’ pairs of seats are taken and he or she decides to double up with a muttering crazy instead of you.

I imagine the privacy and sprawl room in cars is a huge draw to us porkers.

I’ve switched to a real/local food diet and cook at home 90% of the time, and it helps with my overall state, but, since I had to start driving to work (job transferred from downtown to the burbs) in November, I’d say I’ve regained about 40 lbs. The car really changes things. I’m way more likely to drive to a nicer grocery store now, for example, with lovely parking and a bigger selection, than walk to the one closest to me. And since getting a car, car payment, insurance, fuel, and maintenance expenses back into my life, I don’t have as much money to spend – and I’m doing my darnedest not to borrow from the food budget.

The addiction we have to cheap and ‘dependable’ food is the absolute most heartbreaking thing in America. Real food is sometimes ugly, sometimes it spoils quickly, sometimes bugs love it, sometimes you can’t get fresh tomatoes in winter, sometimes a salad should cost LESS than a meat entree, and the restaurants that are killing us just don’t get it. It’s really infuriating. Oops, my soapbox is showing… better get down before I bust this thing.

(Thankfully, we’ll be transferring back downtown this fall, so, if you a hippo on a bike, wait til I pass to laugh, please.)

Viewing 15 posts - 76 through 90 (of 111 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: