Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Ohio ranked 13th fattest state - 30% of Ohioans are Obese

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Ohio ranked 13th fattest state – 30% of Ohioans are Obese

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 111 total)
  • Author
    Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

rus said:
    Seriously, walking is not going to help much.

Well then. If walking is only going to help a small amount then that’s pretty much worthless.

Thanks a lot, walking. Thanks for nothing!

rus
    rus
    Participant

cbus11 said:
    Calories burned with Walking

3.0 Mph, Level, Moderate Pace, Firm Surface

224 calories per hour

Roughly, walking for 2.5 hours = 560 calories, which is about 2 slices of pizza.

Also about 2/3rds of a meatless burrito at chipotle ( depending on options, natch. ). Not including drink.

joev
    Participant

The more active you are and the more lean muscle mass you build, the more calories you burn at rest as well. It’s not a strict calories eaten/calories burned through exercize equasion.

cbus11

Roughly, walking for 2.5 hours = 560 calories, which is about 2 slices of pizza.

but also –

560 cal * 52 weeks = 29120 / 3500 cal in lb = 8.32 lbs lost per year

It is a matter of moderation and picking your poison.

I will say that we are a bit bombarded with food related stuff in society as can be seen on this site. Eating two extra slices of pizza a week will also get us those 8 extra pounds in a year.

I am going to have to make some graphs of obesity linked to CU browsing. ;)

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Ron Swanson told me that walking was bad for me. Especially walking through a public park paid for by tax payer dollars.

Caning a chair on the other hand is one of the best forms of exercise known to man.

Core_Models

People are fat because portion size has become ridiculous and everything is full of fat, processed food, and sugar. At the end of the day, its self control. If you’re drinking a 6 pack of soda a day, you’re practically eating a fourth meal. Regular exercise isn’t going to burn enough calories to even break even, but what I think regular exercise does accomplish is an increased desire to not eat crap in huge volume every day.

As to the rest of it, if this poll reported that 30% of the state smoked and it was the 13th most smokingest state in the US, I think people would be concerned because of the drain that causes on the economy. Fat people are no different, and in fact most figures show them as way, way worse in that regard.

rus
    rus
    Participant

cbus11 said:

Certainly. Eat what you like, but if you’re trying for weight loss count your calories and don’t eat too much. Exercise helps, but exercise alone won’t do much.

johnwirtz
    Participant

cbus11 said:

but also –

560 cal * 52 weeks = 29120 / 3500 cal in lb = 8.32 lbs lost per year

I will say that we are a bit bombarded with food related stuff in society as can be seen on this site. Eating two extra slices of pizza a week will also get us those 8 extra pounds in a year.

I am going to have to make some graphs of obesity linked to CU browsing. ;)

Also, if you live in a place where walking and transit are convenient, you’ll probably end up walking way more than the 2.5 hours per week to transit that I cited as an example of how easy it is to meet the US DoH guidelines.

joev
    Participant

rus said:
    Certainly. Eat what you like, but if you’re trying for weight loss count your calories and don’t eat too much. Exercise helps, but exercise alone won’t do much.

One day of excerize won’t do much, you’re right. But if it becomes a habit, and is incorporated into your life, you better frickin believe it will have a big impact.

cbus11

johnwirtz said:
    Also, if you live in a place where walking and transit are convenient, you’ll probably end up walking way more than the 2.5 hours per week to transit that I cited as an example of how easy it is to meet the US DoH guidelines.

I think the DoH guidelines are weak at best. Sadly, nutrition education and common sense are really what is needed. I think they need to start teaching ‘home ec’ again.

I do not think the car is the real problem. It is just a tool. We don’t blame obesity on gas stoves or furnaces. There are no articles out seeking to replace gas stoves and heaters with more calorie intensive chopped wood ones.

There are plenty of ways to burn a few extra calories. Play with your kids for 30 minutes a day then have sex with you SO* and skip that XXL Burrito for your 3am post bar ‘Fourth Meal’.

*beats walking to the train station

rus
    rus
    Participant

joev said:
    One day of excerize won’t do much, you’re right. But if it becomes a habit, and is incorporated into your life, you better frickin believe it will have a big impact.

Not if you eat more than you burn.

Core_Models

If you did a 1 hour spin class a day…then ate 3 1k calorie meals and a 600 calorie snack, chances are you’re going to gain weight.

misskitty
    Participant

Walker said:
    I agree with you that laziness is probably the root of the problem.

But doesn’t a car-centric society enable laziness?

Why walk to get food when you can roll through a drive-thru? Or better yet, have someone else in a car deliver it to your door? ;)

I am sure it plays a part in this obesity situation for sure. Just how big of a part?
    Serious question how many different things can we note that play a part in it?
    Things like lack of physical activity, cars, food portions, What else?
    I am actually kind of curious what other people think play parts in it because there could be some that many never even put in this category.

joev
    Participant

It’s pretty hard to eat a 1000 calorie meal (let alone three a day) if you avoid packaged/processed/convenience foods. Real food is more filling.

rus
    rus
    Participant

joev said:
    It’s pretty hard to eat a 1000 calorie meal (let alone three a day) if you avoid packaged/processed/convenience foods. Real food is more filling.

Oh, so that’s how you control calories?

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 111 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: