Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Ohio ranked 13th fattest state - 30% of Ohioans are Obese

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Ohio ranked 13th fattest state – 30% of Ohioans are Obese

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 111 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Ohio ranked 13th fattest state in annual report

Thursday, July 7, 2011

BY MISTI CRANE

The Columbus Dispatch

In its annual account of America’s obesity epidemic, the nonprofit Trust for America’s Health has ranked Ohio the 13th most obese state.

About 3 in 10 Ohioans are considered obese because they have a body mass index, or BMI, of 30 or more. The BMI is based on a height/weight calculation.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/07/07/Ohio_ranked_13th_fattest_state.html?sid=101

cc

We are headed to Wall-E world.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

That’s a weird coincidence, 30% of my body is obese.

patient_zero
    Participant

Food for thought:

rus
    rus
    Participant

More food for thought:

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/dec/20/health/la-he-carbs-20101220

A reversal on carbs
    Fat was once the devil. Now more nutritionists are pointing accusingly at sugar and refined grains.

Twixlen
    Participant

I blame the internet.

cbus11

Twixlen said:
    I blame the internet.

Rockmastermike
    Participant

rus said:
    More food for thought:

http://articles.latimes.com/2010/dec/20/health/la-he-carbs-20101220

A reversal on carbs
    Fat was once the devil. Now more nutritionists are pointing accusingly at sugar and refined grains.

wow, was the LA times only just last year reporting this? Welcome to ~1999.

Twixlen
    Participant

cbus11 said:

*puts down baby candy bar

*picks up apple

Rodgers
    Participant

It’s because we love our food to be laced with sugar, particularly high fructose corn syrup. It’s found in a lot of foods that wouldn’t even seem to call for a sweetener. Controversial concerns about how the body processes HFCS aside, food is simply sweeter and thus higher in caloric content now.

We also eat out more, consuming fewer of our meals at home. Restaurant portions tend to be very generous.

And, in my personal opinion, food is the last vice a lot of people have left that society generally doesn’t condemn. You are the devil if you smoke, if you drink too often people start to make quiet assumptions about you, if you engage in casual sex you risk catching a life-long souvenir, but if you eat too much, people won’t generally give you as hard a time. After all, it’s not like you can give up food completely.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Rodgers said:
    And, in my personal opinion, food is the last vice a lot of people have left that society generally doesn’t condemn.

I’ve a similar opinion, myself.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Rockmastermike said:
    wow, was the LA times only just last year reporting this? Welcome to ~1999.

Think the hatred for anything Adkins like comes and goes. Guess it’s going again.

/more bacon, less bread.

Cookie

Rodgers said:
    And, in my personal opinion, food is the last vice a lot of people have left that society generally doesn’t condemn. You are the devil if you smoke, if you drink too often people start to make quiet assumptions about you, if you engage in casual sex you risk catching a life-long souvenir, but if you eat too much, people won’t generally give you as hard a time.

Only if you don’t get fat.

Alex Silbajoris
    Participant

One friend of mine is a Scotsman, and it was funny as hell to see him describe his utter revulsion at American bacon infused with sugar.

My mother was in a DP camp after WWII and once they received hams from America, a precious treat of protein, except they were sugar-glazed with pineapple slices on them. They were horrified, like who the HELL coats a ham in sugar?

Rodgers
    Participant

Cookie said:
    Only if you don’t get fat.

But if everyone’s getting fat, who’s left to judge?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 111 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: