Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Toxic Air Pollution in Ohio

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Toxic Air Pollution in Ohio

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)
  • Author
    rus
    rus
    Participant

Rocknrolloutlaws
    Participant

There’s really not much value to this report. It says absolutely nothing about the actual impact to individual health. All it does is add up certain types of emissions from individual sources around the state. That total is virtually meaningless when it comes to the actual impact on health.

What the report doesn’t say is that those individual sources are regulated by Ohio EPA. Also, the total is meaningless because it doesn’t account for various other factors necessary to accounting for actual risk.

See the following from US EPA (FAQS about the data:

What are the limitations of the TRI data?

Users of TRI data should be aware that TRI data reflect disposal or other releases and other waste management of chemicals, not whether (or to what degree) the public has been exposed to them. Both the toxicity of a chemical and exposure considerations should be taken into account when using the data.

• TRI chemicals vary widely in toxicity and in their capacity to produce toxic effects. Some high-volume releases of less toxic chemicals may appear to be more serious than lower-volume releases of highly toxic chemicals, when just the opposite may be true.
    • The potential for exposure may be greater the longer the chemical remains unchanged in the environment. Sunlight, heat, or microorganisms may or may not decompose the chemical. Smaller releases of a persistent, highly toxic chemical may create a more serious problem than larger releases of a chemical that is rapidly converted to a less toxic form.

What should I know about the different types of disposal or other releases?

The TRI Program collects data on a number of different types of disposal or other releases, as well as on certain waste management and recycling practices. For more information on the differences between these data elements, please refer to the Toxics Release Inventory (TRI) and “Factors to Consider When Using TRI Data” on the TRI Web site. Disposal or other releases of chemicals into the environment occur through a range of practices that may ultimately affect the potential for human exposure to the toxic chemicals. Most disposal or other release practices are subject to a variety of regulatory requirements designed to limit environmental harm. . . .

Also, SO2 isn’t something reported as part of the TRI. So joev’s link isn’t really relevant.

Coremodels said:
    WE WIN!

+1

So we’re fat and we have the worst air.. I need to move.

rus
    rus
    Participant

I can talk to buffalos said:
    +1

Hopefully, you’ll find a building without dogs.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Rocknrolloutlaws said:

Also, SO2 isn’t something reported as part of the TRI. So joev’s link isn’t really relevant.

Ah. Thanks for that.

rus said:
    Hopefully, you’ll find a building without dogs.

I see you’re still upset.

rus
    rus
    Participant

I see you’re still upset.

Nah. You just make an easy target for teh lulz. Turning self centered fear into a moral crusade is hilarious.

rus said:
    Nah. You just make an easy target for teh lulz. Turning self centered fear into a moral crusade is hilarious.

You’re blind. That is all.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

+1

Look on the bright side, fat people breathing bad air = lots of turnover.

Here’s a breakdown from the report:

http://docs.nrdc.org/air/files/air_11072001a.pdf

I bet a significant portion of the 9% “other” for this state are factory farms.
    http://www.factoryfarmmap.org/#animal:all;location:OH;year:2007

Anyone who lives near one can second that. CAFO neighbors can’t even leave their house without passing out in the yard the fumes are so bad on certain days.

Walker- if you get the chance, go up to the 20th floor or higher in the state office tower or one of the surrounding city towers and look out at around 10am on a clear day. You will see the smog blankets the state every day it isn’t raining.

The Ohio Environmental Council issued some great white papers several years back on this problem, transportation and diesel truck emissions are also a significant part of this issue and compelled me to purchase high powered air filters for my home.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Coremodels said:
    Look on the bright side, fat people breathing bad air = lots of turnover.

The ones you want dead never die fast enough, nor reliably.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Red Sun Rising said:
    Here’s a breakdown from the report:

http://docs.nrdc.org/air/files/air_11072001a.pdf

Thanks for that, although I’m also keeping in mind what Rocknrolloutlaws said.

Rocknrolloutlaws
    Participant

Red Sun Rising said:

I bet a significant portion of the 9% “other” for this state are factory farms.
    http://www.factoryfarmmap.org/#animal:all;location:OH;year:2007

Anyone who lives near one can second that. CAFO neighbors can’t even leave their house without passing out in the yard the fumes are so bad on certain days.

Actually, 0% of those emissions come from factory farms. The types of industries covered by the database are listed here:
    http://www.epa.gov/tri/lawsandregs/naic/ncodes.htm

Rocknrolloutlaws said:
    Actually, 0% of those emissions come from factory farms. The types of industries covered by the database are listed here:
    http://www.epa.gov/tri/lawsandregs/naic/ncodes.htm

See the Manufacturing Tab in your link-

311 Food
    ALL six digit codes are covered EXCEPT FOR Industry Code 311411, Frozen Fruit, Juice, and Vegetable Manufacturing, and Industry Code 311811, Retail Bakeries. Note the caveats for the following covered six-digit industry codes:
    Industry Code: 311119, Other Animal Food Manufacturing:
    Reporting is NOT required for facilities primarily engaged in Custom Grain Grinding for Animal Feed (previously classified under SIC 0723, Crop Preparation Services for Market, Except Cotton Ginning)
    Industry Code: 311330, Confectionery Manufacturing from Purchased Chocolate:
    Reporting is NOT required for facilities primarily engaged in the retail sale of candy, nuts, popcorn and other confections not for immediate consumption made on the premises (previously classified under SIC 5441, Candy, Nut, and Confectionery Stores)
    Industry Code: 311340, Nonchocolate Confectionery Manufacturing:
    Reporting is NOT required for facilities primarily engaged in the retail sale of candy, nuts, popcorn and other confections not for immediate consumption made on the premises (previously classified under SIC 5441, Candy, Nut, and Confectionery Stores)
    Industry Code: 311611, Animal (except Poultry) Slaughtering:
    Reporting is NOT required for facilities primarily engaged in Custom Slaughtering for individuals (previously classified under SIC 0751, Livestock Services, Except Veterinary, Slaughtering, custom: for individuals)
    Industry Code: 311612, Meat Processed from Carcasses:
    Reporting is NOT required for facilities primarily engaged in the cutting up and resale of purchased fresh carcasses for the trade (including boxed beef), and in the wholesale distribution of fresh, cured, and processed (but not canned) meats and lard (previously classified under SIC 5147, Meats and Meat Products)
    Industry Code: 111998, All Other Miscellaneous Crop Farming Reporting is ONLY required for facilities primarily engaged in reducing maple sap to maple syrup (previously classified under SIC 2099, Food Preparations, NEC, Reducing Maple Sap to Maple Syrup)

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

RSR…I’m not sure you understand what you posted.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 60 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE