Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Toxic Air Pollution in Ohio

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Toxic Air Pollution in Ohio

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Ohio leads nation in toxic air pollution

Dayton Business Journal – by Ginger Christ, DBJ Staff Reporter

Date: Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Ohio’s toxic air pollution levels are 36 percent higher than any other state in the country, according to an analysis of Environmental Protection Agency’s Toxics Release Inventory by the Natural Resources Defense Council and the Physicians for Social Responsibility.

Nearly half of all toxic air pollution reported from industrial sources in the United States comes from coal- and oil-fired power plants. Power plants are the largest industrial source of toxic air pollution in 28 states and the District of Columbia.

READ MORE: http://www.bizjournals.com/dayton/news/2011/07/20/ohio-leads-nation-in-toxic-air-pollution.html

Twixlen
    Participant

Ah, good times. *wheeze*

joev
    Participant

Thanks AEP!

Manatee
    Manatee
    Participant

I don’t know about you guys, but I’m just so sick and tired of g*****n treehuggers releasing reports like this.

Think of it this way: our air has MORE! It’s thicker and more substantial! Carve yourself off a slice of air and quitcher bellyaching.

More oxygen tanks mean more jobs. YOU DON’T WANNA DECREASE JOBS DO YA?

joev
    Participant

If you put up a butterfly net, you’ll catch enough lead and mercury to make yourself a fishing sinker.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Serious question: Is the air pollution concentrated in certain areas more than others? I’ve never found Columbus to *feel* like the air quality is bad, but I could be wrong. I imagine it’s worse around power plants, but where is the closest dirty plant to Columbus?

Cardiff

Walker said:
    Serious question: Is the air pollution concentrated in certain areas more than others? I’ve never found Columbus to *feel* like the air quality is bad, but I could be wrong. I imagine it’s worse around power plants, but where is the closest dirty plant to Columbus?

This was also the info I wanted to know – that article just stated the problem, with no follow up about what to do about it.

joev
    Participant

It’s absolutely concentrated in some areas. The Ohio River Valley on Ohio’s eastern border (Steubenville) is especially bad, because of the geography of the valley and coal-fired power plants. Generally, places downwind (generally east) of these plants have poor air quality, unless the geography of that place is such that pollutants blow away (Columbus is pretty flat, so not too bad.)

rus
    rus
    Participant

Cardiff said:
    This was also the info I wanted to know – that article just stated the problem, with no follow up about what to do about it.

Think “what to do about it” is shut down AEP. Can’t burn coal for energy ( bad air ) can’t use natural gas ( fracking ) can’t use nuclear ( ZOMG ) can’t use solar ( doesn’t work well enough yet and batteries aren’t there yet ), etc.

Seems like there is no answer that’s “environmentally sound” and also keeps the AC on.

So, move into a ramshackle farmhouse inundated with mold and swelter. Because that’s good for the environment. Or something.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

rus said:
    Seems like there is no answer that’s “environmentally sound” and also keeps the AC on.

Then what are states #2 through #50 on the list doing that we’re not? Just using less power than us?

KSquared

My ever present allergies quickly abate when I leave Ohio. Not sure it’s attributable to pollution but especially out west, I feel 100% better

+1 Walker, they must be doing something differently.

joev
    Participant

For one thing, the coal AEP burns (mostly mined in Ohio and West Virginia) produces more toxins when burned than say, coal mined in Wyoming.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

WE WIN!

rus
    rus
    Participant

joev said:
    For one thing, the coal AEP burns (mostly mined in Ohio and West Virginia) produces more toxins when burned than say, coal mined in Wyoming.

Which toxins? To what degree?

joev
    Participant
Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 60 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE