Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Columbus / Ohio Road & Highway Infrastructure Crumbling

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation Columbus / Ohio Road & Highway Infrastructure Crumbling

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Bridges must be watched closely
    By Randy Ludlow
    The Columbus Dispatch
    Sunday February 12, 2012 6:02 AM

Less than 1 percent of the bridges maintained by the Ohio Department of Transportation account for an inordinate amount of attention and expense. That’s for good reason: The bridges could come down if a key support structure buckled. Of the 14,064 bridges in the state highway and interstate system, 133 of them — including nine in central Ohio — are in danger of collapsing if main supports fail or suffer catastrophic damage.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2012/02/12/bridges-must-be-watched-closely.html

Large Pothole Shuts Down Lane Of I-70 West For Hours
    Saturday February 11, 2012 6:30 PM

COLUMBUS, Ohio – A large pothole was to blame for a west side lane closure on Saturday. Columbus police shut down the right lane of Interstate 70 west at West Broad Street at about 1p.m. Multiple vehicles sustained flat tires after driving in the area.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2012/02/11/columbus-pothole-closes-I-70-lane.html

ODOT: Ohio May Change Order For Completing Major Road Projects
    February 12, 2012
    by The Associated Press

Ohio’s transportation chief says the state may adjust the order of road and bridge projects listed in a draft plan that would delay some work for years. The list was released last month and approved by the state panel that oversees funding for high-cost transportation projects. The recommendations led to some backlash from local officials unhappy about potentially delayed projects, such as a portion of work on Interstate 90 in Cleveland.

READ MORE: http://beta.wosu.org/news/2012/02/12/odot-ohio-may-change-order-for-completing-major-road-projects/

News
    Participant

Jason Powell
    Jason Powell
    Participant

Yet we keep building more roads to nowhere.

News
    Participant

June 13, 2014, 10:00 am
    Improve America’s infrastructure quickly? Yes, we can
    By Rob Palter

The list of stalled or over-budget infrastructure projects in the U.S. is long. In its most recent evaluation, the American Society of Civil Engineers gave the U.S. a D+ grade for the quality of its infrastructure and estimated that a failure to address these issues will hurt the country’s global competitiveness; costing $1.1 trillion in U.S. trade value and 3.5 million jobs over the next five to ten years. Obviously, infrastructure matters. So how can the U.S. do better?

READ MORE: http://thehill.com/blogs/congress-blog/economy-budget/209093-improve-americas-infrastructure-quickly-yes-we-can

dubdave00
    Participant

Can you imagine if we put the money that we put into policing the middle east into national infrastructure like roads, bridges, rail, power/energy grid, and data?

Heck, let’s build Elon Musk’s “hyperloop” concept. We don’t do anything crazy like that these days… The amount of technology and economic growth that would come from funding something like that would be huge.

But with ‘W’ looking like a liberal when compared to the Tea Party, I doubt we’ll get any kind of majority support for something like that.

Achekov
    Participant

Yet we keep building more roads to nowhere.

^^^This^^^

Fix the stuff we have before building new stuff. We’re spending more on roads than ever before. Billions and billions.

News
    Participant

America’s infrastructure isn’t sexy
    By KAI RYSSDAL • 23 HOURS AGO

America’s infrastructure has fallen behind other nations. Highways are congested. Bridges are crumbling. Flights are delayed. Clearly, we need a solution.

READ MORE: http://radio.wosu.org/post/americas-infrastructure-isnt-sexy

News
    Participant

Report Reveals Half Of Roads In Columbus Deteriorating, Bridges Crumbling
    Thursday June 18, 2015 6:15 PM

COLUMBUS, Ohio – There is a plea underway for Congress to ensure funding for troubled road and bridges across Ohio, including here in Columbus. A new report shows funds will be dropping off at the federal level and there is no long term plan in place.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2015/06/18/columbus-ohio-report-reveals-half-of-roads-in-columbus-deteriorating-bridges-failing.html

King Gambrinus
    King Gambrinus
    Participant

Hmm I don’t think Columbus’ roads are really bad at all. Yeah there’s potholes in February but they’re usually good about patching them. Heck they even patched the potholes in my alley. I can’t even think of any areas of 270 where the roads are crumbling. Plus anyone who complains about Columbus traffic needs to spend time in LA, Washington DC, Chicago or anywhere that has actual traffic. Overall, I think our road infrastructure is in a good spot, I think our water system is in poor shape, but that’s a different discussion.

L.I. to Buckeye
    Participant

Hmm I don’t think Columbus’ roads are really bad at all. Yeah there’s potholes in February but they’re usually good about patching them. Heck they even patched the potholes in my alley. I can’t even think of any areas of 270 where the roads are crumbling. Plus anyone who complains about Columbus traffic needs to spend time in LA, Washington DC, Chicago or anywhere that has actual traffic. Overall, I think our road infrastructure is in a good spot, I think our water system is in poor shape, but that’s a different discussion.

Well, I found out the hard way that a portion of I-70 East near West Jefferson is falling apart. I usually avoid the right lane in that area because it’s such a rough ride. For some reason, Thursday night I decided to not move to the middle lane (which is much smoother).

I had just entered the highway from Route 29 and slammed into a large chunk of concrete that had broken off of the ground. It then flew out from under my car and left three deep gashes on my driver’s side door. Not going to be a cheap repair. I have car that’s really low to the ground (a Fiat 500), so I could clear the chunk. An SUV would have rolled right over it.

The crazy part is that particular section of I-70 East was just repaired a summer or two ago and it’s already in terrible shape. Really poor workmanship the last time, I guess.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE