Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Ohio Governor's Race 2014

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Ohio Governor's Race 2014

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 253 total)
  • Author

joev
    Participant

catnfiddle said:
    Cordray is now working on the federal level, stalled as his nomination may be. Would he really want to return to run in a state race?

Yes, I’m sure he would. Governor is not a dinky role.

kit444
    Participant

catnfiddle said:
    Cordray is now working on the federal level, stalled as his nomination may be. Would he really want to return to run in a state race?

Governor of a state is a better position than most federal jobs, unless it’s a cabinet level role.

Word has it Cordray still has his home in Grove City, so he hasn’t left Ohio entirely and may have been mulling over another statewide run all along, though losing in 2010 to Zombie Mike DeWine set him back somewhat. He’s likely already discussed it with the Prez who himself would likely prefer to see the Ohio Executive back in the D column.

Anyways, Cordray coming from a consumer protection background as an AG and as the first director of the Director of the United States Consumer Financial Protection Bureau would be a fearsome opponent for Kasich whose Wall Street ties and abrasive personality have become major liabilities.

kit444
    Participant

BuckeyeShadow said:
    Word has it Cordray still has his home in Grove City, so he hasn’t left Ohio entirely and may have been mulling over another statewide run all along, though losing in 2010 to Zombie Mike DeWine set him back somewhat. He’s likely already discussed it with the Prez who himself would likely prefer to see the Ohio Executive back in the D column.

Anyways, Cordray coming from a consumer protection background as an AG and as the first director of the Director of the United States Consumer Financial Protection Bureau would be a fearsome opponent for Kasich whose Wall Street ties and abrasive personality have become major liabilities.

His wife is a professor at Capital Law and they have a couple of kids if I recall correctly, so coming back seems natural. I’m not so sure Kasich’s Wall Street ties and abrasive personality will be factors if the economy is strong next year.

rustbelt
    Participant

I think Cordray’s name recognition is not nearly as strong as others (not just on this thread) think. And Fitzgerald is even less known around the state.

This is the same mistake supporters of Jennifer Brunner make/made.

While I do not particularly like and in no way support Kasich, he is a strong candidate for re-election so long as he avoids minefields like another SB 5 or signing something ridiculous into law, like a new version of the “Heartbeat Bill”.

At this point, it looks like any Democrat candidate is going to be a sacrificial lamb.

rustbelt said:
    I think Cordray’s name recognition is not nearly as strong as others (not just on this thread) think. And Fitzgerald is even less known around the state.

This is the same mistake supporters of Jennifer Brunner make/made.

While I do not particularly like and in no way support Kasich, he is a strong candidate for re-election so long as he avoids minefields like another SB 5 or signing something ridiculous into law, like a new version of the “Heartbeat Bill”.

At this point, it looks like any Democrat candidate is going to be a sacrificial lamb.

Kasich definitely backed away from the sinkhole that could have swallowed his governorship whole–and may have even split the state, literally–had he decided to outright privatize the I-80 Turnpike. He’s slow on some things, but I’ll give him a little credit for not being outright stupid when it comes to his own self-preservation. Still, the toll increases aren’t going to win him many votes in the north.

joev
    Participant

BuckeyeShadow said:
    Kasich definitely backed away from the sinkhole that could have swallowed his governorship whole–and may have even split the state, literally–had he decided to outright privatize the I-80 Turnpike. He’s slow on some things, but I’ll give him a little credit for not being outright stupid when it comes to his own self-preservation. Still, the toll increases aren’t going to win him many votes in the north.

JobsOhio…

joev said:
    JobsOhio…

Which has done what, really?

joev
    Participant

BuckeyeShadow said:

Nothing at all, except spend money and years on challenges to its legality (because it is not legal.)

heresthecasey
    Participant

BuckeyeShadow said:

Exactly

lakeerietransplant
    Participant

BuckeyeShadow said:
    Ah yes, the miracle of 50.1%. Kasich would be a loser too, except for his deep-pocketed buddies on Wall Street, in the land where dollar bills are the only real votes.

For whatever its worth, Cordray is Ohio Dems’ best chance of ousting Kasich. Cordray already has statewide recognition. Half of the battle for FitzGerald is just educating the rest of the state about what a County Executive is and what it does, no small task. FitzGerald at least needs to stay put for four more years and build a solid case to run on when he wouldn’t be going up against an incumbent Governor.

Blah blah blah bitch about Wall Street blah blah blah. If the argument didn’t work in ’06, I doubt it will work in ’14 especially after two more years of Barry and people get pissed off at him again.

That being said, I don’t think ’14 will be a cakewalk for KAsich, as long as the right candidate is nominated. Cordray is a political loser, FitzGerald along with low name recognition is from Cuyahoga County and no Dem from there can win. Your best shot is Ryan; he’s a guy that can potentially appeal to both sides.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

Here’s a question for the politically interested of CU:

What is with the recent trend of looking to congressmen–current or former–as candidates for what is essentially an executive job, and the state’s most important at that?

Strickland and Kasich were both congressmen with no prior government executive experience. Now Tim Ryan and Betty Sutton, two more members of congress (Sutton’s now ex), are mulling over potential gubernatorial candidacies.

Why don’t we have more mayors stepping up to the plate? Does it make a difference? Does it even have to be a mayor of a major/central city? Why not a suburban mayor? I’m curious to see everyone’s thoughts.

lakeerietransplant
    Participant

NEOBuckeye said:
    Here’s a question for the politically interested of CU:

What is with the recent trend of looking to congressmen–current or former–as candidates for what is essentially an executive job, and the state’s most important at that?

Strickland and Kasich were both congressmen with no prior government executive experience. Now Tim Ryan and Betty Sutton, two more members of congress (Sutton’s now ex), are mulling over potential gubernatorial candidacies.

Why don’t we have more mayors stepping up to the plate? Does it make a difference? Does it even have to be a mayor of a major/central city? Why not a suburban mayor? I’m curious to see everyone’s thoughts.

Most of the suburban and big city mayors are just too damn liberal for the rest of Ohio. Good question.

Josh Lapp
    Josh Lapp
    Participant

lakeerietransplant said:
    Most of the suburban and big city mayors are just too damn liberal for the rest of Ohio. Good question.

Sharrod Brown? Elected twice to state wide office is one of the most liberal members of the senate. And it strikes me odd that ‘most suburban and big city mayors are too liberal for the state’ when the majority of the population of the state lives in those same suburbs and big cities.

lakeerietransplant
    Participant

joshlapp said:
    Sharrod Brown? Elected twice to state wide office is one of the most liberal members of the senate. And it strikes me odd that ‘most suburban and big city mayors are too liberal for the state’ when the majority of the population of the state lives in those same suburbs and big cities.

Sherrod Brown had two bad opponents and a favorable climate that helped with that.

I’m wrong on suburban mayors (the majority of them around here are GOP), but the point of big city mayors stands. They are too liberal.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 253 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: