Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Ohio Governor's Race 2014

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Ohio Governor's Race 2014

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 253 total)
  • Author
    hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Fitzgerald appears to be even more of an incompetent hack than Mandel.

The Dems have their lobbyists and friends too. Or do you believe that Columbus city government is the model of openness, honesty, and integrity? Politicians lie to us and distract us so that we do not pay attention to what they are really doing.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

I maintain that we should have a “none of the above” option that would force a runoff, sans the nominated candidates. Better still, ban the participating parties themselves from running any candidate in the runoff.

It’s sad to think that FitzGerald is the best candidate the Dems could possibly find statewide. You’re telling me that between a number of experienced and successful mayors, that a one-term County Executive is the best the party can offer?

The only person even more inept and buffoonish than FitzGerald is likely Chris Redfern, the party chairman who threw his support behind him.

A default four more years of Kasich and his smug, obstinate 1950s worldview is a travesty this state, increasingly faced with the imperatives of the 21st century, should not be forced to have to cope with until 2019.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

I am tired of politics. There are few statesmen/women in politics these days.

pilsner
    Participant

I know what you mean, Hugh59. The fact that scientific polling showed that 87% of Ohioans support the medicinal use of marijuana and yet neither Kasich nor Fitzgerald do is mind-boggling. It shows just how unresponsive government is to the people. 87% of people wouldn’t agree what color the sky is. That’s off the charts in politics.

I’m confident that the reason is that both the GOP and Dem Party are both bought off by Pharma, Fossil Fuel and other Big Money interests who oppose medical pot and Industrial Hemp.

The applications for Industrial Hemp are amazing. It could really help the Ohio economy and has tremendous positive environmental impacts.

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

Say WHAT? This is minor and silly. But it makes me question this person’s basic competency. My guess is that his job description required him to have a valid drivers license too. So why go 5 years without one?

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2014/08/04/Fitz_driver_license.html

hugh59
    hugh59
    Participant

The big story this week is the algae bloom in Lake Erie. The news about Fitzgerald’s drivers license is a minor matter. But it is hard to ignore it.

http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2014/08/ed_fitzgeralds_drivers_license.html

At some point, you have to laugh at politicians who make stupid mistakes. On the bright side, this matter is not a real scandal. There is no indication of moral impropriety. Fitzgerald will only suffer some embarrassment and no real harm to his life. He is probably not going to lose his current job. He is not going to jail. He might even be able to get his campaign back under control.

This matter did not have to be damaging. Fitzgerald should have made this problem public before he sought the nomination. If he had publicized the information himself it would have caused a few days of embarrassment then it would have been old news. I still think he is lucky that this story broke over 2 months before election day (instead of the week before) and at a time when there was another major story (the algae bloom – a story of real importance).

News
    Participant

FitzGerald is on defensive in Ohio governor’s race
    By By ANN SANNER
    Saturday August 9, 2014 9:30 AM

COLUMBUS, Ohio (AP) — Democrat Ed FitzGerald already had an uphill fight in his campaign to unseat a well-funded Ohio governor. Now the Cuyahoga (ky-uh-HOH’-guh) County executive is on the defensive about why he lacked a permanent driver’s license for more than a decade. And he’s been forced to answer questions about 2012 police records showing him in a parking lot at 4:30 a.m. with a woman who isn’t his wife.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/apexchange/2014/08/09/oh–governor-ohio-fitzgerald.html

sirlancelot
    Participant

Kasich and the Ohio GOP should be very careful about the political mudslinging. It works both ways and Kasich may find his own closet door opened. I agree that the Fitzgerald driver’s license issue is fair game. What he was doing at 4:30 am, with a unknown woman in his car, and no evidence of criminal conduct, should be a private matter.

News
    Participant

Kasich Takes Big Lead Over FitzGerald With Voters Over 50
    By Jim Heath
    Tuesday August 12, 2014 11:56 AM

COLUMBUS, Ohio – Older voters are the most likely to turn out in a midterm election, and a new poll conducted for AARP in Ohio shows Gov. John Kasich with a huge 15-point lead over his Democratic challenger Ed FitzGerald. The poll, conducted by former Democratic pollster Peter Hart, shows Kasich at 50 percent to FitzGerald’s 35 percent with voters 50 and older.

READ MORE: http://www.10tv.com/content/stories/2014/08/12/columbus-ohio-kasich-takes-big-lead-over-fitzgerald-with-voters-over-50.html

Hamsterdam
    Participant

You know it’s over for FitzGerald when the Jury Room removes its “FitzGerald for Governor” sign from the window. Not a real good sign for Eddie FitzGerald.

Does he even crack 40 percent on Nov. 4?

lazyfish
    lazyfish
    Participant

The Big D is working hard to beat the dead horse, makes me wonder if they think the race is more competitive than it appears. The scoop of the driver license and irish lady friend were pretty petty, this is even pettier. Love the juxtaposition of potentially and massive… and the hyperbole is lovely ” a campaign seemingly under a constant siege of negativity”.

A potentially massive exodus from Ed FitzGerald’s gubernatorial campaign is afoot, with several of the Democratic nominee’s top aides and experienced Ohio political consultants set to transition away from a campaign seemingly under a constant siege of negativity.

http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2014/08/18/fitzGerald-campaign-shake-up.html

the real story here is the moribund nature of the Ohio Democratic party

just look at the caliber of the down ticket candidates, the fact that Josh Mandel will win re-election says it all.

News
    Participant

Ed FitzGerald campaign staff shakeup coming
    on August 18, 2014 at 7:32 PM, updated August 18, 2014 at 10:05 PM

CLEVELAND, Ohio — A staff exodus is afoot in Ed FitzGerald’s bid for governor. Already out, officially, are campaign manager Nick Buis and communications director Daniel McElhatton. And more departures could be announced this week. Buis and McElhatton “have left their day-to-day roles on the campaign, but will assist as consultants on an as-needed basis,” press secretary Lauren Hitt said late Monday.

READ MORE: http://www.cleveland.com/open/index.ssf/2014/08/ed_fitzgerald_campaign_staff_s.html

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

Since Kasich is corrupt, petty and regressive, I really tried hard to like FitzGerald, but he’s not coming across right now as competent. Maybe this is the year I finally vote for the Greens.

Hamsterdam
    Participant

lolololololol

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

NEOBuckeye
    Participant

The only thing more disgusting (and disheartening) than the thought of another four years under Kasich, is the utter incompetence of the Ohio Democratic Party within its ability to mount a legitimate challenge. FitzGerald was DOA from the get-go. Someone ought to have the decency to put his gubernatorial dreams delusions out of their misery.

I have no loyalty to either party, and quite honestly, I wish we could force-liquidate them both out of existence. At this point, I’m simply for leadership that embraces the urbanizing, diverse and complex world of the 21st century and seeks to make things work towards a positive end on that front.

Is that really too much to ask, fellow Ohioans?

Viewing 15 posts - 181 through 195 (of 253 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: