Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Ohio Governor's Race 2014

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Ohio Governor's Race 2014

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 253 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

Democrats Already Eyeing 2014 Campaign Against Kasich

November 8, 2012

by Karen Kasler

Statehouse Bureau Chief, Ohio Public Radio and Television

Ohioans are still recovering from the brutal, expensive political marathon that the 2012 campaign was. But some partisans were thinking ahead to the next campaign at the party on election night. Not long after the state of Ohio was projected for President Obama, and a few hours after Sen. Sherrod Brown was declared re-elected, staffers with the Ohio Democratic Party started distributing pre-printed signs throughout the jubiliant crowd. The signs read: “Kasich – You’re Next” on one side, and “2014 Can’t Come Soon Enough” on the other.

READ MORE: http://wosu.org/2012/news/2012/11/08/democrats-already-eyeing-2014-campaign-against-kasich/

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

I have to say I hope the Dems don’t run Strickland again. I was disappointed by the lack of leadership he showed in office, and as opposed as I was to Kasich, I thought Strickland’s loss was well-earned.

Kasich hasn’t been quite the disaster I imagined either. The heavy-handed arrogance he showed in his first few months has mellowed a bit. But his bullet-headed opposition to public transportation, his compulsion to privatize every public asset and my lingering suspicion that he’d go to any lengths to feed his ego and/or his bank account would make it hard for me to vote for him either.

Maybe this will finally be the election where I vote third party instead of just talking about it.

joev
    Participant

Tim Ryan, Ed Fitzgerald, or Rich Cordray are all great choices. I agree Strickland shouldn’t run again. I agree that Kasich hasn’t been as bad as I thought he might be, but I do think he’s still been awful for the state.

murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant

I wouldn’t say that I was a Strickland fan, but I definitely wasn’t opposed to him staying in office. That said, last night’s speech really turned me off of him. He came off as very stiff.

murfmurphy
    murfmurphy
    Participant

Chris Sunami
    Chris Sunami
    Participant

murfmurphy said:
    I wouldn’t say that I was a Strickland fan, but I definitely wasn’t opposed to him staying in office. That said, last night’s speech really turned me off of him. He came off as very stiff.

I met him in a small group meeting when he was campaigning in 2006 and he came across as a typical politician. He evaded our questions, stayed relentlessly on message, and might as well not even have been in the room, from my point of view. It seemed like his term was a bit of the same thing. The only thing that fired him up was losing.

I don’t like Kasich, but at least he’s bold. I’ve always had a bias towards people who actually make things happen –although of course you can only take that so far.

pez
    Participant

joev said:
    Tim Ryan, Ed Fitzgerald, or Rich Cordray are all great choices. I agree Strickland shouldn’t run again. I agree that Kasich hasn’t been as bad as I thought he might be, but I do think he’s still been awful for the state.

Ed would not approve of your post –

Cuyahoga County Executive Ed FitzGerald to senior staff: Spell my name right or else

CLEVELAND, Ohio — Cuyahoga County executive Ed FitzGerald issued a warning to senior staff this week, prompted by the frequent misspelling of his last name in documents that appear before him.
    “Effective immediately, regardless of deadlines or emergencies, Ed will no longer sign letters, contracts, documents, etc. that does not have his name spelled properly (Edward FitzGerald),” FitzGerald’s administrative assistant Tanya Hairston wrote. “Additionally, please remember that his last name does have a capital G and should be used accordingly. I have also be informed to please return any documents that does not conform with his instructions to the sender.”

http://www.cleveland.com/naymik/index.ssf/2011/10/cuyahoga_county_executive_ed_f_2.html

gramarye
    Participant

As always, I’m torn. There are a lot of things I dislike about Kasich, including his hostility to basically all things urban (transit, rail, you name it). On the other hand, he *did* show some backbone standing up to his own party on the water rights issue, and I do approve of fracking and other things that Kasich’s detractors generally oppose.

I voted for Strickland. I’d vote for him again. The others … Cordray intrigues me, but the others, I can’t say I’m particularly enamored with.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

I’ve been less disappointed in Kasich than I expected so far. Will be interesting to see who the D’s run against him though.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

Coremodels said:
    I’ve been less disappointed in Kasich than I expected so far.

Agreed. He got off to a really bad start with SB5 and the 3C Corridor, but since then things have been toned down quite a bit.

Though I imagine joev will give us some extra reasons as to why we should all dislike Kasich. ;)

Jman4ever
    Participant

Can’t we put off the hate fest (not saying here referring to the original post) until we are within a year of the election?

No really.

Walker Evans
    Walker Evans
    Keymaster

No worries. I imagine this thread will be pretty inactive until 2014 arrives.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

Early prediction for 2014 D candidate: Betty Sutton or Capri Cafaro

News
    Participant

News
    Participant

OK, The Election’s Over, Now What?
    November 30, 2012 — 11:32 am
    By: Mike Thompson

Campaign 2012 is giving way to Policy 2013. As this year’s political dust starts to settle, new dust will soon stir. Major decisions face policy makers in Washington, at the Statehouse and at Columbus City Hall.

First up are the federal budget negotiations aimed at avoiding automatic tax hikes and spending cuts at the start of the new year. Of course, Speaker John Boehner of West Chester will play a key role, but other Ohio lawmakers are worth watching. Senator Rob Portman and Congressmen Pat Tiberi and Steve Stivers are seen as reasonably moderate conservatives, but Republicans who have signed Grover Nordquist’s “No Tax Hike” pledge. All three have said they are willing to consider reducing the number or amount of deductions, which violates the pledge, but not raise rates. It will be interesting to see if they go further or stick to their guns, especially Tiberi and Stivers whose new districts are even more Republican leaning than their current ones.

READ MORE: http://wosu.org/2012/columbusontherecord/ok-the-elections-over-now-what/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 253 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: