Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Ohio Budget Cuts $780 Million from Schools

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Ohio Budget Cuts $780 Million from Schools

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

News
    Participant

It’s official: Schools lose $780 million

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

BY JIM SIEGEL

THE COLUMBUS DISPATCH

When the dust settled on the new state budget, operating funds for Ohio schools were cut nearly $780 million for the next two years, with 17 central Ohio districts facing reductions that top 10 percent this school year.

Schools were among those cut as Gov. John Kasich and GOP lawmakers dealt with a significant budget shortfall resulting from the use of more than $8 billion in one-time money to balance the previous two-year budget, which ended June 30.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/live/content/local_news/stories/2011/07/12/its-official-schools-lose-780m.html?sid=101

Tenzo
    Participant

That is big money savings.

I mean, you could build 12 Scioto mile fountains with that much scratch

myliftkk
    Participant

I’m curious why there’s such a huge variance in the spectrum of cuts across districts.

For example, it make little sense that Pickerington (school pop ~ 10k+) barely has to cut anything from a huge budget while Dublin (school pop ~ 14k) gets hammered on a budget that is nearly half to start with. If there’s logic in Kasich’s new school funding formula at the state level, it would seem to defy inspection at the results.

From a political standpoint it makes sense. Outlying counties went for Kasich fairly strongly, Franklin did not.

cc

I guess I am reading this:

“State-only school aid actually increases in the budget, but it is more than offset by the decision not to replace $450 million in federal stimulus money ….”

and thinking a good chunk has to do with all the money the schools got from the federal government last year and are not getting this year. I do not think it is a conspiracy.

myliftkk
    Participant

cc said:
    I guess I am reading this:

“State-only school aid actually increases in the budget, but it is more than offset by the decision not to replace $450 million in federal stimulus money ….”

and thinking a lot has to do with all the money the schools got from the federal government last year and are not getting this year. I do not think it is a conspiracy. I also am not sure you can put most of the blame on the State.

That’s a meaningless statement in the article. Federal funding was routed to states to help plug their budgetary holes. It’s not as if the federal funding vis-a-vis the stimulus was going to states prior to the stimulus. It just allowed states to avoid a major funding problem two years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe to the Columbus Underground YouTube channel for exclusive interviews and news updates!

CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE