Our City Online

Messageboard - General Columbus Discussion

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Ohio Ban on Alcohol Energy Drinks

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Ohio Ban on Alcohol Energy Drinks

This topic contains 102 replies, has 32 voices, and was last updated by  News 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 103 total)
  • Author

misskitty
    Participant

So I was thinking about this more and I got to say this is silly I can’t believe we would waste time or money banning this. So a few college kids got messed up although many do every year from regular alcohol. There are 85,000 deaths attributed to alcohol every year. In 2008 the U.S Surgeon General estimated that around 5,000 Americans aged under 21 die each year from alcohol-related injuries involving underage drinking. The CDC also calculates that binge drinkers account for more than half of the 79,000 annual alcohol-related deaths in the U.S.
    So banning this is going to fix it all. Someone think of the children.

rus
    rus
    Participant

joev wrote >>

rus wrote >>

joev wrote >>
    I’d think you might make an exception to the primacy of personal responsibility for a product with the primary outcome of the reduction of personal responsibility. Ideology dies hard.

Oh, you mean alcohol? How’d banning that work out last time?

I don’t see this as a ban; it’s a regulation. This particular beverage has been proven to be unsafe for human consumption. I have no problem with regulating alcohol.

No, you shifted the discussion to “a product with the primary outcome of the reduction of personal responsibility”. Not a matter of regulating something unsafe, but effects.

awd86ed

I’m on the fence. I don’t drink the alcohol energy drinks so I really don’t care. But maybe like cigarettes, these drinks should have a warning label? But what would it say? Don’t be a dumbass. Drink responsibly.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

The issue is not “alcopops are marketing to kids” or even “college students should be protected from themselves.” The issue is that you cannot put random additives into food without expecting the FDA to step on your neck. That goes double for alcohol, tobacco, and medicine.

rus
    rus
    Participant

awd86ed wrote >>
    I’m on the fence. I don’t drink the alcohol energy drinks so I really don’t care. But maybe like cigarettes, these drinks should have a warning label? But what would it say? Don’t be a dumbass. Drink responsibly.

I don’t drink, so to me this is just another silly regulation.

awd86ed

rus wrote >>

awd86ed wrote >>

True. Perhaps the easiest way is to get rid of it. I don’t really know. Some people can drink this stuff and know their limit and some don’t know when to stop. For the sake of protecting human life maybe it is best it is banned. But of course if people really want it they will get it.

rus
    rus
    Participant

awd86ed wrote >>

rus wrote >>

awd86ed wrote >>

True. Perhaps the easiest way is to get rid of it. I don’t really know. Some people can drink this stuff and know their limit and some don’t know when to stop. For the sake of protecting human life maybe it is best it is banned. But of course if people really want it they will get it.

Well, explain how this regulation prevents people from dumping monster/rockstar/redbull and vodka in a big gulp cup?

misskitty
    Participant

awd86ed wrote
    IFor the sake of protecting human life maybe it is best it is banned.

But why should we have to be responsible for other people and their decisions? Why should we need to protect people from themselves it seems like a waste of energy to me

awd86ed

rus wrote >>

awd86ed wrote >>

rus wrote >>

awd86ed wrote >>

Well, explain how this regulation prevents people from dumping monster/rockstar/redbull and vodka in a big gulp cup?

It doesn’t that’s my point. I’ll repeat my last sentence. If they really want it they will get it.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

blammo wrote >>
    Bah, what a crock of shit. I just stocked up on my 2 favorite FourLOKO flavors. Sheesh, i can’t believe that some college kids drank a bunch of booze and got sick! And some had to be hospitalized! INCONCEIVABLE
    Now they’ll finally be safe when they only have tequila, whiskey, wine, gin, rum, vodka, and beer to drink.

This post, combined with this stuff getting pulled has made me eager to try it. I got a friend to agree to take a couple down last night, maybe this weekend.

What are these favorite flavors so I know what’s good to get?

awd86ed

Snarf wrote >>

blammo wrote >>
    Bah, what a crock of shit. I just stocked up on my 2 favorite FourLOKO flavors. Sheesh, i can’t believe that some college kids drank a bunch of booze and got sick! And some had to be hospitalized! INCONCEIVABLE
    Now they’ll finally be safe when they only have tequila, whiskey, wine, gin, rum, vodka, and beer to drink.

This post, combined with this stuff getting pulled has made me eager to try it. I got a friend to agree to take a couple down last night, maybe this weekend.
    What are these favorite flavors so I know what’s good to get?

I won’t lie. I want to try it too. Just one, to prevent any heart attacks. If it taste anything like sparks I will be dissapointed

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

They all taste unbelievably terrible. Try one of each.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

^ so you’ve tried Four Loko energy drink in all eight flavors: Grape, Fruit Punch, Orange Blend, Watermelon, Blue Raspberry, Lemon Lime, Lemonade, and Cranberry Lemonade.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

No, I was just trying to get you to try them in all eight flavors (as a prank (sorry)). But I’ve tried watermelon, grape, and fruit punch, and definitely noticed a pattern re: the taste.

Jim Lauwers
    Participant

Also, you really want to drink them out of a clear glass, so you can appreciate the color. In a way, Four Loko is exactly what “malt liquor of the future” should be.

edit: wait scratch that thought, malt liquor of the future would also have little flavor-spheres floating in it.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 103 total)

The forum ‘General Columbus Discussion’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Drink beer and support Columbus Underground! Join us on Saturday, September 29th to sample coffee-infused beers!

CLICK HER FOR TICKETS & INFO