Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Oh Menards, You Crushed My Heart

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Oh Menards, You Crushed My Heart

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

I was a huge fan of Menards and spent many weekends and thousands of dollars there, and then this story. I’m just crushed. Why do companies have to inflict agenda on their employees? I certainly wouldn’t approve of a liberal company that forced its employees to take Marxist indoctrination classes (ON UNPAID TIME), so why on earth would I approve of this:

Major Retailer Urges Workers To Take ‘Civics Course’ With Anti-Obama Content

“…This January Menards began encouraging employees to take an at-home online “civics” course that characterizes the economic policies of President Barack Obama as a threat to the success of businesses such as Menards, and by extension, to the employees’ own well-being.

.. One former manager told Milwaukee Magazine reporter Mary van de Kamp Nohl that he wasn’t allowed to hire two job candidates because, while in high school, they had worked as baggers in a union-organized grocery store…”

FBI Investigation

“..The civics course, titled “Civics 101: The National Self Governing Will In-Home Training,” incorporates much of the material comprising the Prosperity 101 program …the FBI is investigating (for) possible financial improprieties involving two non-profit organizations founded by (Mark Block and Linda Hansen, formerly of the Herman Cain presidential campaign) that are linked to Prosperity 101…

Eridony
    Eridony
    Participant

I used to be a department manager at Menards. In fact I came to Columbus to open the Lewis Center store. It is well known that the Menards family are all big time right wingers.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

It does have a Hobby Lobby vibe going on. That said, you can still save big money.

Graybeak
    Participant

A shame you didn’t see the story when it first came out. You could have potentially saved lots of money.
    Or at least redirected it.

Eugene_C
    Participant

If you really like their store, I would consider a different tack. Keep shopping there, but surreptitiously leave a few United Food and Commercial Workers flyers lying around, or maybe a few copies of this article, or a Noam Chomksky paperback in the restroom stall. Educate, don’t hate. It’s not technically “solicitation” if you don’t actually solicit a person, right? Maybe it’s littering, I dunno, but it’s an option.

Eugene_C
    Participant

I used to be a department manager at Menards. In fact I came to Columbus to open the Lewis Center store. It is well known that the Menards family are all big time right wingers.

I think most big private corporations are owned by “right-wingers” and that’s fine but not every right-wing CEO chooses to indoctrinate their employees with their ideas or refuses to hire someone because they worked at a union Kroger in high school. Sheesh. (in HIGH SCHOOL!)

Eridony
    Eridony
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Eridony wrote:</div>

I think most big private corporations are owned by “right-wingers” and that’s fine but not every right-wing CEO chooses to indoctrinate their employees with their ideas or refuses to hire someone because they worked at a union Kroger in high school. Sheesh. (in HIGH SCHOOL!)

Certainly not defending that, but I worked at Meijer in high school and was therefor a part of a union and it never came up when they hired me. Also, that Civics 101 crap was optional training on your own time. I never did that course but I remember people joking about it.

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Eridony wrote:</div>

After the CEO backlash vs. the Indiana Law, I’m not sure they’re so easily classified.

wpcc88
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Eugene_C wrote:</div>

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>Eridony wrote:</div><br>

After the CEO backlash vs. the Indiana Law, I’m not sure they’re so easily classified.

I would say fiscal conservatives, social liberals would be more fitting for most CEO’s.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

The Columbus Coffee Festival Returns with a “Curated Take Home Box Experience”

CLICK HERE TO PLACE YOUR ORDER