Our City Online

Messageboard - Transportation

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

ODOT major shift to "Fix it First" policy

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Transportation ODOT major shift to "Fix it First" policy

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Eugene_C
    Participant

ODOT is expected to announce, soon, that it is moving away from an expansionist highway policy and moving toward a “Fix it First” priority.

ODOT Expected to Announce Major Shift to ‘Fix-it-First’ Policy

According to ODOT’s own internal estimates, current funds will not be enough to maintain Ohio’s existing system by 2019 – the time when the Ohio Turnpike bonds are gone. Thus, without a major new source of revenue like a gas tax increase, ODOT intends to completely get out of the highway expansion business, and shift all funds to maintenance and rehabilitation.

…“It’s finally sinking in that we cannot continue on this unsustainable pace of highway expansion,” said an ODOT employee who spoke to UrbanCincy on the conditions of anonymity..

…While officials say the move is economically driven, it also comes at a time as activists around the country – including numerous cities throughout Ohio – are increasingly calling for governments to embrace a “fix-it-first” policy….”

jbcmh81
    Participant

They should start this policy with the ridiculous Portsmouth Bypass project.

Eugene_C
    Participant

I think the Portsmouth bypass may be one of the projects that’s up for the chopping block. It’s going to be hard to stop something like that once it gets rolling, though. There were probably deals made on legislation and land purchased in anticipation of increased value from the construction, etc. and some people will be angry if it gets scrubbed.

jbcmh81
    Participant

<div class=”d4p-bbt-quote-title”>jbcmh81 wrote:</div>

I think the Portsmouth bypass may be one of the projects that’s up for the chopping block. It’s going to be hard to stop something like that once it gets rolling, though. There were probably deals made on legislation and land purchased in anticipation of increased value from the construction, etc. and some people will be angry if it gets scrubbed.

I think it already has started. I was also curious about the fate of later phases of the 70/71 project, particularly at the 315 intersection, or the 70 canyon.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

Has anyone ever seen Portsmouth? Why on earth do they need a bypass? There are neighborhoods in Columbus that are bigger than Portsmouth.

Portsmouth Population: 20,000
    Clintonville population: 33,000

Lu
    Participant

ODOT is expected to announce, soon, that it is moving away from an expansionist highway policy and moving toward a “Fix it First” priority.

This would be a smart move in advance of the driverless car revolution. The technology promises to utilize existing road capacity much more efficiently, and could greatly reduce the need for expansion.

joev
    Participant

The Portsmouth bypass is probably more for people who don’t live in Portsmouth than people who do. See Lancaster and Nelsonville on Route 33.

Analogue Kid
    Participant

I think it already has started. I was also curious about the fate of later phases of the 70/71 project, particularly at the 315 intersection, or the 70 canyon.

Since those are existing highways, they should still hopefully get funded. With The 70/71 split such a high crash area, it’s like to be a high priority for improvements.

This seems to be an acknowledgement that projects that go from forest/cornfield -> superhighway are generally a boondoggle.

Posole
    Posole
    Participant

The Portsmouth bypass is probably more for people who don’t live in Portsmouth than people who do. See Lancaster and Nelsonville on Route 33.

It could also be for some land speculator who wants to build a mall at one of the exits and bribed some politicians.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

If i lived in Portsmouth I would be leary of a bypass. It could devastate downtown businesses and cause sprawl. It’s a nice little town with gridded streets right now.

Ned23
    Ned23
    Participant

If i lived in Portsmouth I would be leary of a bypass. It could devastate downtown businesses and cause sprawl. It’s a nice little town with gridded streets right now.

Too many politicians mistakenly tout these as economic engines. That happened in Marysville, where it was actually needed for the Honda Plant and their bypass did not amount to much direct growth for decades and their downtown suffered.

GCrites80s
    Participant

I don’t think it’s going to cause much sprawl. I lived in Portsmouth for college and few people are interested in investing much into the area. And all those townships the bypass runs through are dry, which de-motivates gas stations and other stores from opening in the vicinity. Plus they have to do much more grading and blasting to level the terrain than we see up here in the flatlands.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The forum ‘Transportation’ is closed to new topics and replies.