Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Occupy Wall Street Protests

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Occupy Wall Street Protests

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 14 posts - 481 through 494 (of 494 total)
  • Author

JonMyers
    Participant

TomOver said:
    Willie Nelson, one of the musicians involved with Farm Aid, says “occupy the food system” :

“From seed to plate, our food system is now even more concentrated than our
    banking system. Most economic sectors have concentration ratios hovering
    around 40 percent, meaning that the top four firms in the industry control 40
    percent of the market. Anything beyond this level is considered “highly
    concentrated,” where experts believe competition is severely threatened and
    market abuses are likely to occur.

Many key agricultural markets like soybeans and beef exceed the 40 percent
    threshold, meaning the seeds and inputs that farmers need to grow our crops
    come from just a handful of companies. Ninety-three percent of soybeans and 80
    percent of corn grown in the United States are under the control of just one
    company. Four companies control up to 90 percent of the global trade in grain.
    Today, three companies process more than 70 percent of beef in the U.S.; four
    companies dominate close to 60 percent of the pork and chicken markets.”

Op Ed News

Out of all the causes seizing upon the occupy movement this one stands out, and hits on a huge issue. I like it. I’m surprised he didn’t mention the health risks the centralization of the food system poses.

pedex
    Participant

JonMyers said:
    Out of all the causes seizing upon the occupy movement this one stands out, and hits on a huge issue. I like it. I’m surprised he didn’t mention the health risks the centralization of the food system poses.

the entire US system is like that: no reserves, no diversity, no depth, no redundancy

minor problems can quickly cascade into complete collapses because of it too

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

JonMyers said:

Jon, I recall you saying to me a few months ago that activism doesn’t accomplish much of value. Or perhaps I misunderstood you.

My own suggestion is that activism is just one of many aspects of what makes a society function. On top of that, ‘activism’ shouldn’t be limited to people chanting the same slogans and marching with the same signs repeatedly.

There has to be a public process whereby people who don’t agree with each other forge common cause. Occupy has helped create that sort of public space, though it’s a work-in-progress.

Though you could view Occupy unfavorably as unfocused or view it favorably as broad and flexible, it’s still not all things to all people. There likely ought to be synergy between Occupy and other movements, perhaps the more grassroots aspects of the Tea Party.

And of course, activism should involve–to borrow from 4-H—head, heart, and hands. The last of those 3 would involve practical ways in which a person’s participation in a movement brings tangible benefits such as putting (more healthful) food in our bellies; keeping us out of the cold; keeping us from being fired or thrown in jail for simply expressing an unpopular belief, and so on

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

” The belief that private financial markets can solve all our problems is the witchcraft of our age.” Pavan Sukhdev

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

Farmers march on Wall Street.

We Are Farmers

News
    Participant

‘Occupy’ organizer has central Ohio roots
    By Dean Narciso
    The Columbus Dispatch
    Thursday December 29, 2011 7:25 AM

The concrete of New York City’s Zuccotti Park contrasts with the trees and grass of Worthington’s village green. But Marisa Holmes has spent months in both — as an organizer of the Occupy Wall Street movement that started in the lower Manhattan park and years before in the Worthington center, when she was a teenager protesting war.

READ MORE: http://www.dispatch.com/content/stories/local/2011/12/29/occupyorganizerhascentralohioroots.html

Coremodels
    Coremodels
    Participant

Gain the traction…then do this….then have something to really talk about.

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

Coremodels said:
    Gain the traction…then do this….then have something to really talk about.

I really like the music from this period. But, even as a kind of stuck-in-the-60’s person that I am, Woodstock didn’t represent all, or even most of the social movements going on then. But perhaps that wasn’t you’re point. Either way, thanks for the video.

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

Princeton students during May Day 2012 march in NYC

Princeton students during May Day 2012 march in NYC

One of the people carrying this sign gave his name as Chester, not wanting to give his last name or be photographed.

The march was closely associated with Occupy Wall Street. When asked how someone at an elite university such as Princeton relates to Occupy, he said, “I want to use my education to be the best activist I can be. I want to change the system, maybe work in a think tank.”

rus
    rus
    Participant

Dunno if I agree with all of this, but it’s interesting reading.

http://www.american.com/archive/2012/may/the-occupy-movement-and-the-communism-of-everyday-life

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

NYC cops stand by during May Day protests outside offices of Bank of America

NYC cops stand by during May Day protests outside offices of Bank of America

Cops and protesters end up spending time in proximity to one another during these sort of events in NYC and in cities and towns around the world. Many passersby simply ignore protesters. But, for various reasons, cops don’t.

Activists shouldn’t overlook police brutality that occurs during some protests (and more often in under-served communities when middle-class White folk with smart phones and cameras aren’t around.) And, of course, we shouldn’t kow tow to authority figures. That would be…well, uh, un-American.

But could demonstrators and cops somehow handle our ‘relationship’ in ways that build solidarity?

During the May Day gathering in Union Square last week, the amplified voice of rapper Immortal Technique rang out over the crowd of several thousand: “All you cops out there, you’re part of the 99 percent.”

And during a bit of ruckus in the streets of D.C. in October, activist Margaret Flowers and others, including myself, eventually dispersed saying, “Thank you for not being like the police in Oakland.”

News
    Participant

More than 100 arrested as Occupy marks 1st anniversary
    September 17, 2012 11:17 AM

(CBS/AP) NEW YORK – Police say more than 100 people have been arrested as Occupy Wall Street protesters march in small groups around Manhattan’s financial district to mark the anniversary of the grass-roots movement.

READ MORE: http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-201_162-57514115/more-than-100-arrested-as-occupy-marks-1st-anniversary/

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

Two new books relevant to Occupy:

The Failure of Non-violence : from the Arab Spring to Occupy, by Peter Gelderloos and Thank You, Anarchy, by Nathan Schneider.

There are Occupy 2-yr reunion events this month and next in NYC and other cities.

Edit: Schneider is one of the founders of the site, Waging Nonviolence. He works with George Lakey whose ideas contrast those of Gelderloos (as well as Ward Churchill who wrote Pacifism as Pathology)

Tom Over
    Tom Over
    Participant

One does not necessarily need Occupy, the Tea Party, or some other movement to stand on the street to engage fellow members of the community.

Viewing 14 posts - 481 through 494 (of 494 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: