Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Occupy Wall Street Protests

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Occupy Wall Street Protests

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 494 total)
  • Author
    rus
    rus
    Participant

bldng4jstc said:
    Perhaps and am I right to assume that’s okay by you?

I’m not one to tell others what to do, although I reserve the right to point and laugh.

Like now. Your life sucks, so you hang out in a park? Um. Sure. Hey, if that’s working for ya knock yourself out. Maybe someone brought weed, ya know? You can get baked, do some primal screaming and maybe bang some hippie cooze.

Beats workin.

Snarf
    Snarf
    Participant

R O F L

+ a lot

lifeontwowheels
    Participant

rus said:
    I’m not one to tell others what to do, although I reserve the right to point and laugh.

Like now. Your life sucks, so you hang out in a park? Um. Sure. Hey, if that’s working for ya knock yourself out. Maybe someone brought weed, ya know? You can get baked, do some primal screaming and maybe bang some hippie cooze.

Beats workin.

Actually sounds kind of nice.

rus
    rus
    Participant

bldng4jstc said:
    I should mention that personally, and as far as I’ve read, this protest is not about taking money from the rich and giving it to the poor. The rich are as wealthy due to their influence in politics while continuing to use our roads, military, justice system, etc in a disproportionate amount while not expecting to pay proportionately for its use. I tend to think corporations are the tragedy of the commons in reverse. Enough trickle down and more participation. I mean that for Unions as well.

Not about taking money from the rich and giving it to the poor?

OK.

Slash medicare spending by 50%. Apply the entirety of that spending to infrastructure, national defense and law enforcement ( from your list above ).

Technically that’s taking money ( in the form of hand outs ) from old people and spending it on other things but it gets you the spending in the areas you want, eh?

rus
    rus
    Participant

lifeontwowheels said:
    Actually sounds kind of nice.

Downside: unless you bring your own duct tape and/or ear plugs eventually you’ll have to listen to the hippie chick talk.

Twixlen
    Participant

Wo

rus said:
    Downside: unless you bring your own duct tape and/or ear plugs eventually you’ll have to listen to the hippie chick talk.

Wow. You don’t hate women at all.

rus
    rus
    Participant

Twixlen said:
    Wo

Wow. You don’t hate women at all.

Because all women are hippie chicks. Right.

clancy12
    Participant

rus said:
    Goes back a lot further than Bush, unless you’re too partisan to see beyond your own bias.

But hey, if protesting is all about feeling good by hanging out in a park and beating on a drum circle, knock yourself out.

Hell, no. I lay banking deregualtion at Clinton’s feet. I am most definitely not partisan. Just like I wasn’t in favor of endless war under Bush, and I am not any more a fan of it under Obama.

rus
    rus
    Participant

clancy12 said:
    Hell, no. I lay banking deregualtion at Clinton’s feet. I am most definitely not partisan. Just like I wasn’t in favor of endless war under Bush, and I am not any more a fan of it under Obama.

In that case I’ll give ya points for consistency of principal, something sorely lacking these days. Even if we apparently disagree on some points, at least you’re not just playing for team D/R.

bldng4jstc
    Participant

rus said:
    Not about taking money from the rich and giving it to the poor?

OK.

Slash medicare spending by 50%. Apply the entirety of that spending to infrastructure, national defense and law enforcement ( from your list above ).

Technically that’s taking money ( in the form of hand outs ) from old people and spending it on other things but it gets you the spending in the areas you want, eh?

If people on medicare were using those communal resources disproportionately then I would agree, but they’re not, big business is. I’m all fine spending public dollars on things that benefit society, but paying for large companies to use societal services, expecting bailouts when they mess up, and getting spineless politicians to allow them to do as they please to our communities in the name of revenue while existing solely to make money is wrong. I feel their profits are not linked to the value of their services.

God, I feel more like my grandparents every day when I discuss these things…

rus
    rus
    Participant

bldng4jstc said:
    If people on medicare were using those communal resources disproportionately then I would agree, but they’re not, big business is. I’m all fine spending public dollars on things that benefit society, but paying for large companies to use societal services, expecting bailouts when they mess up, and getting spineless politicians to allow them to do as they please to our communities in the name of revenue while existing solely to make money is wrong. I feel their profits are not linked to the value of their services.

God, I feel more like my grandparents every day when I discuss these things…

We may actually agree on all the bailouts but “do as they please to our communities” is off base.

It’s not as if there is no regulatory burden ( and that the same regulatory burden doesn’t in effect favor some over others ).

bldng4jstc
    Participant

rus said:
    We may actually agree on all the bailouts but “do as they please to our communities” is off base.

It’s not as if there is no regulatory burden ( and that the same regulatory burden doesn’t in effect favor some over others ).

I totally agree on the regulatory burden. Regulators do not bring solutions to the table – as was shown in the whole Gay St. incident. I do believe in the purpose of regulations, however. As an engineer, I’ve sat in countless meetings about emissions from power plants and hazards from industrial waste water. If an effect of doing business is to create a health hazard, why should the cost of production be put on society in terms of health costs? Shouldn’t the full cost of production fall on the one profiting? But unfortunately that would lower next quarters profit projections numbers.

[Edit: added the following]
    The only way things change is if profit margins to shareholders are no longer the #1 priority to the American government because the shareholders and CEOs (on a whole) really don’t care about American communities.

Jeff Regensburger
    Jeff Regensburger
    Participant

I enjoyed this open letter to the protesters on Wall Street:

Guys, listen. Here’s the deal.

I love you guys with every shred of my hard-left leaning heart. But I think you might be doing something wrong. Here is one thing that can help you.

Tomorrow, wear a polo and khakis

Seriously. polos and khakis. Every time you guys DO finally get some fucking press, it’s a scrawny dude with dreads in a ratty t-shirt. You’re going big here, dress it. Tomorrow, Polo shirt and Khakis.

Why? Because you need to get the right-leaning equivalent of me on your side. I’m 35 right now. I understand where the hippy thing comes from. I get it as well as a guy who’s 35 can. My Counterparts do not. They think you are scummy druggies on welfare and when they see on tv a bunch of people who they think are S.D’s on W, they root for the cops to hit you again.

Speaking of the cops, Who do you think they’ll mace first? SD’s on W, or a guy in khakis and a polo? Seriously, it’s fucking cop camouflage. And if they DO come for you. When people at home see PEOPLE THAT LOOK LIKE THEM getting abused by police… That’s when shit changes.
    Read More Here.

bastardsuperstar
    Participant

was that written by pat dull? cuz i’ve heard him give damn near the same speech anytime “one of us” had to do a court date or public debate or anything up that alley.

and it was true all of those times too . . .

bastardsuperstar
    Participant

bldng4jstc said:

this comment on the OccupyColumbus FB shed some light
    :
    “I want stories. I don’t know or feel strongly enough about every particular political issue to protest against this or that. But I do feel as if I don’t count, and that my voice isn’t heard, as if my suffering is disregarded, and my deep insecurity about the future – our future – is dismissed. This feeling cannot be remedied with ideas or plans, but only through connection with other un-counted, un-heard, disregarded people. . . .

for the people/media who feel a need to marginalize these protesters, can anyone point out to me the difference between this sentiment and almost everything the tea-party was saying when they 1st exploded on the scene?

(i mean, other than the grammar and lack of hatred?)

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 494 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: