Our City Online

Messageboard - Politics

NOTE: You are viewing an archived version of the Columbus Underground forums/messageboard. As of 05/22/16 they have been closed to new comments and replies, but will remain accessible for archived searches and reference. For more information CLICK HERE

Occupy Wall Street Protests

Home Forums General Columbus Discussion Politics Occupy Wall Street Protests

• This topic is empty.
Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 494 total)
  • Author

bldng4jstc
    Participant

Tenzo said:
    Can anyone tell me when we went from;
    “Yes we Can!”
    to
    “It’s someone else’s fault!” ?

Ever watch a debate (either party) and feel like wtf are these people talking about? People feel drastically different about issues and no way for their views to enter the discussion. I’m not talking about anarchy or a return to the 1800s. To me, wrecking the economy, being bailed out, foreclosing on homes, moving jobs overseas all while preventing basic laws that existed for 66 years all in the name of making 1% more money and faux ‘free market’ economics doesn’t make sense and is upsetting. I just don’t hear any debate/consensus on the issues and what they mean for our communities and moneyed interest seems to be the reason.

Andrew Hall

I get it – people are angry. Very, very angry. I’m angry too. And Wall Street sure makes a great scapegoat, hence the Occupy Wall Street protest. Wall Street is a symbol of the “greed and corruption” that took over America and caused this whole mess.

But let’s take a minute to examine the facts and see if we can’t find some better scapegoats:

Dear Occupy Wall Street: Are you sure you are in the right place?[/url]

cheap

Andrew Hall said:

I get it – people are angry. Very, very angry. I’m angry too. And Wall Street sure makes a great scapegoat, hence the Occupy Wall Street protest. Wall Street is a symbol of the “greed and corruption” that took over America and caused this whole mess.

But let’s take a minute to examine the facts and see if we can’t find some better scapegoats:

im hearing that a lot as well,and there’s blame to go around,that’s for sure.

i believe wall st is the poster child of corruption with power,and that’s what these people are protesting.

Brant
    Participant

What these people are doing is building, for lack of a better word, a church of dissent. It’s not a march, though marches are spinning off of the campground. It’s not even a protest, really. It is a group of people, gathered together, to create a public space seeking meaning in their culture. They are asserting, together, to each other and to themselves, “we matter”.

Occupy Wall Street Is a Church of Dissent, Not a Protest.

Tenzo
    Participant

Andrew Hall said:

+ LOTS

Brant
    Participant

I’m not here to disparage Occupy Wall Street; I admire the tenacity and nerve of the occupiers, and hope it grows. But I’m both curious and frustrated by the inability of the organizers, whoever they are exactly, or the participants, an endlessly shifting population, to say clearly and succinctly why they’re there.

The Occupy Wall Street Non-agenda[/url]

clancy12
    Participant

howatzer said:
    That’s right, nobody can predict the moment of revolution … but I bet it will be sometime between getting kicked out of mom’s basement and being told by your girlfriend that you will need to start helping out with the rent.

Ah, well. That didn’t take long. You have no right to voice your opinion or protest if you don’t have a job. Why not go all in and include a requirement of property ownership?

clancy12
    Participant

mwood said:
    Mainly the government policy that was aggressively lobbied for by those lenders…

Perhaps the government policy that Rus speaks of is Bush’s call for the “ownership society”.
    Or yeah, it could be the policy of telling the states AG’s to back off on pursuing those lenders for fraud.
    Or it could be the policy of banking deregulation…

rus
    rus
    Participant

clancy12 said:
    Perhaps the government policy that Rus speaks of is Bush’s call for the “ownership society”.
    Or yeah, it could be the policy of telling the states AG’s to back off on pursuing those lenders for fraud.
    Or it could be the policy of banking deregulation…

Goes back a lot further than Bush, unless you’re too partisan to see beyond your own bias.

But hey, if protesting is all about feeling good by hanging out in a park and beating on a drum circle, knock yourself out.

cheap

rus said:Goes back a lot further than Bush, unless you’re too partisan to see beyond your own bias.
    But hey, if protesting is all about feeling good by hanging out in a park and beating on a drum circle, knock yourself out.

i see that a lot from people i discuss issues with,and just shake my head.

being crooked or dishonest isn’t limited to one political party.

there is plenty of corruption around to keep both parties’ stomachs full.

rus said:

wait until Aerosmith shows up on a trailer.

bldng4jstc
    Participant

What’s appealing about the protest is the lack of hostility. In addition to the Stoller post, this comment on the OccupyColumbus FB shed some light:
    “I want stories. I don’t know or feel strongly enough about every particular political issue to protest against this or that. But I do feel as if I don’t count, and that my voice isn’t heard, as if my suffering is disregarded, and my deep insecurity about the future – our future – is dismissed. This feeling cannot be remedied with ideas or plans, but only through connection with other un-counted, un-heard, disregarded people. And that connection comes to me most readily, most affectively, through story.” … “I cannot get behind every specific political action against corruption or corporate power or the loss of our constitutional rights. Because I cannot simply be against and still Be. Right now, I am simply trying to occupy. Occupy Where I Am. Be where I am. And I can Be for: for community, for connection, for a thriving planet, for humanity, for being heard and cared about, for hope, for my own healing, and being moved to heal another.” -Michael Murphy

The thought behind the 99%:
    We Are the 99%[/url]

rus
    rus
    Participant

cheap said:
    being crooked or dishonest isn’t limited to one political party.

No shit.

rus
    rus
    Participant

bldng4jstc said:
    What’s appealing about the protest is the lack of hostility. In addition to the Stoller post, this comment on the OccupyColumbus FB shed some light:
    “I want stories. I don’t know or feel strongly enough about every particular political issue to protest against this or that. But I do feel as if I don’t count, and that my voice isn’t heard, as if my suffering is disregarded, and my deep insecurity about the future – our future – is dismissed. This feeling cannot be remedied with ideas or plans, but only through connection with other un-counted, un-heard, disregarded people. And that connection comes to me most readily, most affectively, through story.” … “I cannot get behind every specific political action against corruption or corporate power or the loss of our constitutional rights. Because I cannot simply be against and still Be. Right now, I am simply trying to occupy. Occupy Where I Am. Be where I am. And I can Be for: for community, for connection, for a thriving planet, for humanity, for being heard and cared about, for hope, for my own healing, and being moved to heal another.” -Michael Murphy

The thought behind the 99%:
    We Are the 99%[/url]

An actual “I wanna feel good” protest.

bldng4jstc
    Participant

rus said:
    An actual “I wanna feel good” protest.

Perhaps and am I right to assume that’s okay by you? The disdain still remains for the mindset that flows through board meetings, congressional hearings, yp mixers, MBA graduations, and quarterly reports that the sole purpose in life is to make more money today than yesterday without regard to how you do it. If it wasn’t for jobless claims and unemployment, I’d swear our TVS would tell us how great we are. The meter stick needs to change because it’s not working for the health of our communities. How we do that is what’s up for discussion.

bldng4jstc
    Participant

I should mention that personally, and as far as I’ve read, this protest is not about taking money from the rich and giving it to the poor. The rich are as wealthy due to their influence in politics while continuing to use our roads, military, justice system, etc in a disproportionate amount while not expecting to pay proportionately for its use. I tend to think corporations are the tragedy of the commons in reverse. Enough trickle down and more participation. I mean that for Unions as well.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 494 total)

The forum ‘Politics’ is closed to new topics and replies.

Subscribe below: